| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your embarrassing moment of the week
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:02 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Mars wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
I think a lot of people don't understand that some people just don't recognize faces and it's nothing personal. I grew up with a parent who has full-blown prosopagnosia ("face blindness") a diagnosable condition where you simply cannot recognize people's faces...he wouldn't even necessarily recognize me if he saw me somewhere that he wasn't expecting to see me, it doesn't mean he doesn't know who I am, he just doesn't recognize faces. And I think it's pretty normal that even people without that condition still just sometimes don't recognize faces. I think if we all realized how normal it was, it wouldn't be such a big embarrassing deal.

There was a radio lab bit about this condition, and it really made it seem more like everyone is just on a spectrum of prosopagnosia, so people who would never say they had this but who do consider themselves to be 'bad with faces' aren't just being a forgetful person, it's actually just how their brain works.

That's interesting. It's definitely something I have a problem with. My uncle showed up at my work once. I walked by him several times, within 6 feet of him. I remember thinking "Hmmm, middle aged business man. Maybe he's going to donate a bunch of money!" Totally did not recognise him until he spoke to me, and then as soon as I heard his voice I knew him. He was probably wondering why I walked by him so many times without even saying hi!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:39 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Paprikapapaya, your stories are killing me!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:04 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

This was a while ago but I had to go to another city because I had classes that day. So I used public transport, the bus, to get to school. Usually I can't stay awake in the morning during this ride, it takes about an hour to get there. Most of the time I wake up just in time, but this time I was still asleep when the bus reached the final stop. The bus driver had to wake me up (by shouting, tyvm). The people who noticed made jokes instead of waking me up :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I too suffer from "skirt blowing up in the middle of a crowded street" syndrome. I was walking back to work from Reny's (a weird walmarty thing in maine) after just buying 32 rolls of contact paper with a PO (which let me tell you, is an embarrassing experience in and of itself). So yeah, there I am, arms full of contact paper, wearing an ink-covered apron and a gust of wind catches my skirt and it freaking blows up for half a block, I couldn't fix it because my arms were full of a ridiculous amount of contact paper so I just walked along letting it happen.

good news: was technically wearing shorts under the skirt. bad news: pretty damn short shorts.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:32 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have the chronic skirt being blown up too, boober. I usually am not wearing shorts, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:25 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

strawberryrock wrote:
I am really good with faces (and have a good memory in general) and sometimes I swear it ends up being just as awkward. I easily recognize people I met once 5 years ago (and remember their names and hobbies and whatnot) but I never know when I should assume they know me too or when I should introduce myself.

Yes! This is me, too. I mention weirdly specific things I remember and then I feel like a creep. But I can't help it!

My embarrassing thing: There is this intriguing couple we see around town ALL the time and we saw them again at a concert tonight and then ended up being right behind them in our car as we were leaving. So I'm all, "Ooh! Let's follow them!" So we did and then they were just, like, out for a drive and went down some back roads and it became super obvious that we were following them. Awkward.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:01 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm at a conference in a hotel, and this really cute co-worker said she wanted to work out with me. So we're in the gym, working out to one of my Insanity DVDs, and I'm in front and she's right behind me, and during a tough part of the workout I farted. Basically in her face. I said "oh my god I'm so sorry" and she said "don't worry I do it all the time" but I was thinking murder-suicide was the only respectable option.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:42 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

DLD, did either of you laugh at least? I'd be laughing until there were tears.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Well Giraffe I wish I had been working out with you! No laughing at the moment. However, for various logistical reasons, yesterday she stored some bags in my room and used my shower (she had already checked out but I hadn't) after a workout, and everything seemed totally fine. I wish I had burst out laughing. Or better yet, squeezed another one out for her benefit! :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:40 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I'm sitting in the airport food court and I had to cough. So I coughed...and simultaneously farted so loudly that there was really no way I could cover it up by just being like, oh, that was just the sound of me coughing. Sorry, fellow food court denizens!

But, let me tell you, PPK, that was one of the most epic farts of all time. I done y'all proud.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:37 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I did a little fart like that the other day. A co-worker was telling a story and I said, "HA!" and as I said that, the force of my ha forced out a small, loud fart. Just a little thhpp. I totally ignored it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:57 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I ignore all farts. I figure that I hear enough was-it-or-wasn't-it fart sounds coming from other people that it's reasonable to assume that they are thinking the same when they hear mine. This darn chair/couch/dog!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:28 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Bringing this thread back to share my embarrassing story of the day. I was waiting for the bus and sat down on at the back of the sidewalk in front of this yard that used to have a fence around it, but now the fence is gone. So, then a few minutes later i try to stand up and I'm STUCK! I noticed that where the fence had been there are still little bent pieces of the fence that are totally stuck through my pants (like a button/pin backing). so...i had to try to get unstuck without anyone seeing me! I finally got unstuck and then I took a picture of my butt to see if my pants were ripped. There are two little holes that look like a vampire bite in the butt of my new jeans.

PS, I totally blame the MTA for this because the reason i was taking the bus is that ALL subways were skipping ALL the stops within a 20 minute walk of my apartment.

aaaanyway, it was embarrassing.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:35 pm 
Impressive boner

I was working on my jerk technique with a heavier-than-normal weight on Tuesday and a fart popped out. I didn't know what to do so just carried on lifting and didn't even acknowledge it had happened. I think my coach blushed though.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:55 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I was in the midst of taking my coat off in the middle of the fancy pants restaurant my husband and i were celebrating our anniversary in, when i knocked the decorative art off the wall with my flailing arms. I was beet red for the rest of the dinner. argh.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

CommunistDaughter wrote:
I was in the midst of taking my coat off in the middle of the fancy pants restaurant my husband and i were celebrating our anniversary in, when i knocked the decorative art off the wall with my flailing arms. I was beet red for the rest of the dinner. argh.

ohhh man, I knock something over in public on the daily. I feel you.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:26 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I spent my entire night talking (I guess most people would consider it flirting, but it's just how I am) to my friend at the bar while hoping the bartender I like would just talko to me. Nope.
Of course now I get home and realize it was (maybe) partially because of the talking (flirting) with my friend. Guh. Way to watch a girl who spent as much time staring at you as possible without being awkward flirt with someone else.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:40 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Why on earth did I find it necessary to tell the Police Community Safety Officer who called around 1pm today to ask if I'd heard anything in connection with my neighbours' burglary that the reason I wasn't fully opening the door was because I wasn't wearing pants??

I've been hanging round on here too long - I meant trousers (or other lower-half-wear) but she's going to think I meant underpants! And she probably didn't care why I was just peering round the door anyway! I feel like an idiot.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:01 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

haha! I'm going to start using trousers to refer to my underwear, just to confuse the system even more!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:58 am 
Nailed to the V

I went to a plant nursery to buy cacti and pots and when I was checking out I paid by handing the lady my card. She swiped it into a machine facing her and said "Okay I just need a pin." And I was like, "Oh, okay. 3-9--" And she gasped and was like "NO COME OVER HERE LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU." I was soooo embarrassed. But I feel like she threw me off by not telling me to go over there and do it!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:11 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I drank too much liquor and cried on my dude's best friend's shoulder for awhile last night. Fun!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:10 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I accidentally used the men's bathroom at the movies the other day. I didn't know it until I could see the urinals on the wall on my way OUT .I was mortified but lucky it was a slow day at the theatre and no men were in there!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:30 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

erynne936 wrote:
I accidentally used the men's bathroom at the movies the other day. I didn't know it until I could see the urinals on the wall on my way OUT .I was mortified but lucky it was a slow day at the theatre and no men were in there!

I speak from extensive experience adventuring in gender-segregated bathrooms when I say that men categorically do not care who's in the bathroom with them as long as you do not look at anyone's wang. If a man had seen you in there and even remotely noticed you, his only thought was probably "oh, the line at the women's room must have been too long".

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:33 pm 
And you never will.

Yeah, I've used loads of men's rooms (mostly when I was pregnant), and I think I've only ever been ignored.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:42 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I've walked into men's rooms by accident too and it doesn't seem like anyone really cares except me. LOL

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next