| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:19 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I really liked Jade Empire. It's a Bioware RPG with sort of action-game fighting combat, which mostly works. There are a couple of interludes with a top-down flying-machine shooter minigame, but even those aren't bad. The story itself is pretty cool, and the writing and settings are pure Bioware. If you like Bioware, Jade Empire is more of that, just in a cool Asian fantasy setting.

It's worth playing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:58 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So now that the sale is over.... does anyone wanna organize some events for killing floor? or l4d 1 or 2?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:28 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Steam is getting a native linux distro version. they announced it this month no date yet given for the release. The news has me excited.

Last edited by Chiatroll on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:30 am 
WRETCHED

Pfft Linux :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:39 am 
A Bad Person

very excited for steam on linux

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This is not entirely steam related but is video game and charity related, plus I didn't want to start a special thread but our shop (The Last Game Store) is currently doing a Megamanathon for Child's Play. All proceeds go to the IWK a local kid's hospital for games and game equipment.

We have a live stream of the marathon mega man's 1-10 going on and there is an online donation button as well as our facebook event page.

If anyone is interested in watching the stream, it's kinda fun: MegaManathon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

He's been playing since 11am, it's now 12:31 and we're on megaman 9. Getting closer if you wanna check out the action!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Did anyone else get an update for steam with new user guidelines? I didn't get a chance to read it before the boy hit accept.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:13 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The addition is that you can't lodge class action lawsuits against them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:01 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Ticket To Ride is finally half off! Buy it so I can finally beat PPKers at a Steam game!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:36 am 
A Bad Person

I just finished Binary Domain, and no one else cares, but maybe someone here will, so I'm going to gush a bit.

All of the descriptions of this being a Japanese Gears of War are basically completely accurate. It's a third-person cover-based shooter, with a quirk in that you can influence how much your team likes you by speaking to them using your headset. You get prompted with yes/no questions pretty often, and they like/dislike you depending on your performance in combat. Shoot a bunch of robots, they think you're great! Shoot them, and they complain. Something I didn't necessarily realize is that the social system affects your ending!

The game looks great. It's super-smooth, with only a little bit of slowdown when I'd have like 10 robots exploding at the same time, and that was really rare. There are a ton of boss fights, but none of them are frustrating as they all subscribe to the "shoot the blinking parts" philosophy. The controls work great with mouse and keyboard. The voice acting isn't perfect, but your team is comprised of soldiers from different nations. Some of the accents are bad, and some are passable, but what thrilled me is that the Japanese police, who would have no business casually speaking English to each other, actually speak Japanese with subtitles! That tiny attention to detail means a lot to me. When Return to Castle Wolfenstein came out and all the Germans spoke English with German accents, I was totally disappointed.

The story is well written. It's a nice sci-fi, what makes a man yarn. It has a pretty lighthearted tack to it, without being completely cartoonish. It's more like a good action movie that occasionally asks serious questions. It sets up a sequel, which I'm looking forward to, but I don't think we'll see. I don't think Binary Domain sold all that well, and it's a serious departure for its creator who previously made all of the Yakuza games. I never played any of them, but they have a rather dedicated following.

Next time Binary Domain goes on sale somewhere (I got it from Amazon, Steam-redeemable), you should get it. Don't be completely turned off by the B grade cover art. It definitely exceeded my expectations.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:50 am 
Nailed to the V

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Ticket To Ride is finally half off! Buy it so I can finally beat PPKers at a Steam game!

that's a great game, have it on ipad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:26 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

MBM I have ticket to ride, I can install it and lose if you like (i'm terrible at the board game, so i imagine i'll be bad at this too).

Brian, that sounds kinda awesome, I might have to try it out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:49 pm 
A Bad Person

HEY! Binary Domain is today's daily deal! I think it's totally worth the $10. Jump on it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:23 pm 
A Bad Person

Darksiders 2 is out today! The first game was a fantastic mashup of Legend of Zelda, God of War, and 90's comic book art. I don't even like Zelda (its biggest influence) and I loved Darksiders! All reviews I've seen so far have been very positive on Darksiders 2, so I'm jumping on it. You can get it for $45 off of Amazon and it's Steam redeemable!

http://amzn.com/B005XFGZ4W

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:52 pm 
A Bad Person

I got into the new community beta! I got two invites in my inventory. I didn't really pay a ton of attention before using one on myself, but it worked so I have to assume it was needed. I gave the other one to MBM.

It's certainly a change! They removed the news tab at the top, probably because no one used it, and replaced it with friends, which is more like the previous community tab. It has kind of turned into a Facebook feed, where you can comment and like things that are on the activity blotter.

The new community tab is all about games, and screenshots, and videos, and workshop, and (not yet usable) Greenlight. I didn't mess with it much.

Edit: oh and Valve gave everyone with Portal 2 a 75% off Portal 2 coupon. Anyone who wants mine can have it!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:30 am 
Smuggling Raisins

brian wrote:
I got into the new community beta! I got two invites in my inventory. I didn't really pay a ton of attention before using one on myself, but it worked so I have to assume it was needed. I gave the other one to MBM.

It's certainly a change! They removed the news tab at the top, probably because no one used it, and replaced it with friends, which is more like the previous community tab. It has kind of turned into a Facebook feed, where you can comment and like things that are on the activity blotter.

The new community tab is all about games, and screenshots, and videos, and workshop, and (not yet usable) Greenlight. I didn't mess with it much.

Edit: oh and Valve gave everyone with Portal 2 a 75% off Portal 2 coupon. Anyone who wants mine can have it!

I own portal 2 and got no such coupon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:22 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I got one!

So if you know anyone who doesn't have Portal 2 yet, I can send it on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:35 pm 
A Bad Person

Everyone should get Thirty Flights of Loving. Well, first everyone should play Gravity Bone, but that's free and not on Steam. But then get Thirty Flights of Loving! Made by the same dude who made Atom Zombie Smasher, and Flotilla, but it's a lot less game-y than those two.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:07 am 
A Bad Person

I am slightly mistaken! Thirty Flights of Loving now includes Gravity Bone, not as a separate executable, but a selection in the new game menu. Even more of a reason to buy it! It's short, really short, but it's got a great style to it and it's slightly more interactive than Dear Esther.

Edit: And listen. While I'm at it. You should go to Blendogames.com and play all of his stuff. I think some of his early stuff is really fantastic, even if some of them are just interactive walking tours. I freaking loved Barista 2.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:25 pm 
Chip Strong

I have an extra copy of Civ 5 if anyone wants it. Just pm me a link to your steam profile.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:39 pm 
A Bad Person

I've got a ton of games, but no Civ 5. But I also have a pile of games in my inventory, so maybe we can strike a trade? Check out my inventory and let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:47 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

We still have a spare copy of LFD2 on the off chance you don't have it!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:00 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I've been spending too much time playing Torchlight II lately...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:21 pm 
A Bad Person

solipsistnation wrote:
I've been spending too much time playing Torchlight II lately...

This is a really ludicrous time for gaming, right? We got two loot games (Torchlight 2, Borderlands 2) in the same week. I'm torn between them. In less than two weeks, we get X-Com and Dishonored. I want them both, and I'll be lucky if I get just one. In November is Halo 4, and CODBLOPS 2, if you're into CODBLOPS 2. And between all of these are stuff like Castle Crashers, Mark of the Ninja, Doom 3: BFG Edition, and Zone of the Enders HD Collection. Don't these people know that I'm taking 18 credit hours this semester, and working part-time?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 57  Next