| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 117  Next
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:46 pm 
Tofu Pup

Why are caulipots so good? I can eat a whole recipe by myself! Especially with chickpea gravy and cranberry sauce.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:45 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

lavawitch wrote:
I'm not sure why I've never made the scallion pancakes before, but finally did today and they were great. The problem is to stop eating them! They definitely do taste better warm, like the recipe says,

Oh yes. I made them today. Soooo good and perfectly crispy. Even with the Asian/Middle Eastern mashup I ended up with, pairing them with Ful Mudammas and a salad with leftover dressing and gremolata from yesterday's Vietnamese Noodle Salad (also a great recipe). The mint definitely went well with the potato pancakes and the Ful wasn't a bad pairing for them either.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:56 am 
Tofu Pup

fruitbat wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
I'm not sure why I've never made the scallion pancakes before, but finally did today and they were great. The problem is to stop eating them! They definitely do taste better warm, like the recipe says,

Oh yes. I made them today. Soooo good and perfectly crispy. Even with the Asian/Middle Eastern mashup I ended up with, pairing them with Ful Mudammas and a salad with leftover dressing and gremolata from yesterday's Vietnamese Noodle Salad (also a great recipe). The mint definitely went well with the potato pancakes and the Ful wasn't a bad pairing for them either.

Are they hard to make? I keep re-reading the recipe, and I haven't found the time to try out a trickier recipe.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:05 am 

lovelytofu wrote:
fruitbat wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Are they hard to make? I keep re-reading the recipe, and I haven't found the time to try out a trickier recipe.

They are very easy to make! Don't be afraid. They require very little hands-on time, really. Apart from boiling the potatoes and the baking it honestly took me minutes to make these.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:59 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Why doesn't the butternet kidney bean jambalaya thing get more attention? We made it last night for the first time, and it's probably in my top 5 from this book.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:01 am 
Ninja Master

creep wrote:
Why doesn't the butternet kidney bean jambalaya thing get more attention? We made it last night for the first time, and it's probably in my top 5 from this book.

I love it too, it's awesome. Which reminds me I haven't made in ages.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:09 am 
Tofu Pup

fruitbat wrote:
lovelytofu wrote:
fruitbat wrote:

They are very easy to make! Don't be afraid. They require very little hands-on time, really. Apart from boiling the potatoes and the baking it honestly took me minutes to make these.

Awesome! I'm going to have to make them for dinner tomorrow.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:56 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

made the zucchini, olive, black bean tacos yesterday and omg i was blown away! so super easy but so effin good!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:58 pm 
Tofu Pup

lindsay t wrote:
made the zucchini, olive, black bean tacos yesterday and omg i was blown away! so super easy but so effin good!

I love those. It's my go to for a quick Mexican dinner. Although, I normally use black olives instead of katamala, but that's mostly due to what I have in my pantry at any given time.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:00 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Made the scallion potato pancakes last week. Good! Mine took ages to cook though and the colour wasn't nearly as nice as the ones in the book. Next time I'll toast the panko in a dry pan first (a trick I learnt for making traditionally fried non-fry Japanese dishes).
Also made the sweet and salty baby carrots. So tasty and more-ish. I would have happily eaten the whole dish myself.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:09 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I love the everyday chickpea quinoa salad! I could eat it every day! I add roasted garlic and chopped vegan hotdogs :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:58 pm 

ComradeSquirrel wrote:
Also made the sweet and salty baby carrots. So tasty and more-ish. I would have happily eaten the whole dish myself.

Yes. Those carrots are sooo good. It's the kind of recipe that you're kind of kicking yourself for not thinking of. Luckily Isa did.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:30 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I just made the Eggplant Chickpea Curry! It's soooo good! I'm not an eggplant lover at all, but this dish is absolutely amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:08 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Quinoa Puttanesca was my dinner tonight! Ridiculously easy and quick, and it was soo tasty with the olives and capers. I was quite surprised at how filling it was. I can easily see this becoming a weekly dinner for me.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:17 am 
Ninja Master

I think I make the basic tofu about once a week now. It's so easy and goes with anything. I usually bake it in the marinade as I never remember to make it ahead of time and it always works out well, just takes a bit longer in the oven.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:09 am 
Shopped till she dropped

We made the Arabian Lentil Soup again today. I've made this at least 2 times prior, and it's never been this good. We simmered it for an extra 10 minutes, as suggested, threw in extra lemon zest instead of completely forgetting to buy lemons, and added an extra pint or so of water. It was so delicious and bright and creamy. I'm swooning over a soup!

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:18 am 
Saggy Butt

I made the miso udon noodles with greens and beans last night and it was so fast and easy. I think if I had put all of the salt called for it might have been too salty for me though, with the miso. I usually make recipes as exactly as possible the first time and I did this time except for the salt. Of course, it was even better with a few squirts of sriracha at the table but I will definitely put this into rotation using whatever greens I have available.

I can do fast and easy but what I really want is fast and easy and tasty, so for that I usually need a recipe and this cookbook is excellent for that.

Oh yeah, I made the broccoli chowder for the umpteenth time a few days ago and it is even better the next day. I usually sub carrots for parsnip because I only occasionally have parsnips, and this time I added some basil. I used to make a similar soup with cow milk and I find (plain unsweetened) almond milk to be much better tasting in chowders.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:33 am 
Ninja Master

I made the portobello pepper steak stew again last night. Definitely one of my favourites and I am excited to have the leftovers tonight with mashed potato! YUM.

And I lucked out a found a portion of the quinoa kale bean stew thing in my freezer last night so I defrosted it and had it for lunch today. I need to do that more often - make a big batch of stuff and freeze it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:57 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Finally made the Summer Lovin' Curried Veggie Chowder (or whatever the actual name is, LOL) tonight, with all the veggies from our local produce box. It turned out great. After not having any corn for a while now we are getting a ton of it so it was good to use up several ears (it took 5 small ones to equal 1 3/4 cup because I had to break the ends off of all of them). It wasn't really colorful because I only had a golden zucchini so there was a lot of yellow, but it was very tasty with the French baguette that we also get at the same pickup. I didn't have arrowroot powder, so I used cornstarch and it seemed to work fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:41 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

my husband hates mango (i clearly didn't know that when I married him - he hates raspberries and quinoa too - what?!) but he liked the bbq beans and suggested adding pineapple in addition to mango.

i've been w/o my cookbooks for like 3 weeks now and as soon as I get them back I am going to cook like everything in AFR I haven't made yet.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:41 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

kara kara wrote:
We made the Arabian Lentil Soup again today. I've made this at least 2 times prior, and it's never been this good. We simmered it for an extra 10 minutes, as suggested, threw in extra lemon zest instead of completely forgetting to buy lemons, and added an extra pint or so of water. It was so delicious and bright and creamy. I'm swooning over a soup!

sometimes i add more coriander and lemon - makes it even yummier, i think.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:14 pm 
Inflexitarian

Made the veggie pot pie stew again and this time ate is as a wrap as suggested. So yummy and easy for lunch!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:01 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I've been trying to use up things I have rather than buy more groceries, and I was going to make the scallion cornbread today because I thought I had everything I needed. As it turns out, when I checked this morning, I have corn grits/polenta (Bob's red mill brand, if that makes a difference), but no cornmeal. Has anyone tried throwing the grits in a food processor and then using them in the place of cornmeal? I Googled it and got mixed answers and now I'm confused!

I want to use up the grits because the polenta recipe I bought them for long ago wasn't really to my taste. It was my first time ever eating polenta and I just didn't like it, so now the bag has been sitting in my fridge for a long time. But I don't want to make the bread and have it turn out inedible and have to throw it out. Help?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've never tried it, but I was curious so I googled and it sounds like it would work - I'd give it a go, personally.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:50 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

baps wrote:
I think I make the basic tofu about once a week now. It's so easy and goes with anything. I usually bake it in the marinade as I never remember to make it ahead of time and it always works out well, just takes a bit longer in the oven.

Yeah, I make this weekly as well, but always forget to marinade. Instead, I make it without the veggie broth (so it is more pungent/strong) and microwave the tofu+marinade for a couple of minutes, then cooking according to directions.

I will try just baking in the marinade next time! If I have a baking container that will work for it. Mine might all be too big...hmm.

Reply to topic  [ 2914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 117  Next