| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Male cat spraying in my house!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

So a while ago I posted that one of my kitties was peeing in the house. Well, I got all that sorted out and figured out it was my male (adult, neutered) as I watched him spray/mark my couch. Over the last 3 weeks, he has been spraying over a 6ish foot section on two different walls, and sometimes on my couch (which is unfortunately a giant microfiber sectional that absorbs liquids like something crazy). He is marking at least 2x per day, typically once on each wall, and I am at my very wits end. I rent my place, and he has pretty much ruined the carpet and baseboards at these spots. I have taken him to the vet only to find out he is a very healthy cat. I chatted with the downstairs tenant, and I guess she brought home a neutered male cat, so I think that's why Maynard is spraying. Unfortunately, there isn't much I can do about that in getting Maynard to relax about the downstairs cat. I have added an extra litter box, gone through almost 4 bottles of Nature's Miracle, put a Feliway collar on him, etc. I don't know what else to do and I am very quickly losing my patience. Please help me ppk!!

Post subject: Re: Male cat spraying in my house!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm not sure if this is going to help at all cause it sounds like you are doing everything you should be doing. But I saw this online.
http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/h ... -house.htm

I watch that show My Cat From Hell and Jackson has said that if your cat senses or sees another cat around that is unfamiliar they will spray. They can smell each other through walls and doors so I wouldn't be surprised if the cat below you moving in is the issue. But normally it's when there is a male female thing going on which doesn't apply in your case, so I'm not sure.

He also talks a lot about making sure all urine is cleaned up and no traces are left behind. You would need to get a black light and really test for this. Sometimes the Natures Miracle stuff doesn't do the job properly. You may need to get some bleach and do a super duper cleaning with the light. And sadly it sounds like your sectional is trash at this point. I'm not sure how you would ever fully get the smell and urine out of that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:58 pm 
Tofu Pup

I have two non-neutered males, they spray the walls abundantly, and I never clean. The smell disappears by itself very fast. Relax, it is not toxic, it is natural.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

small pancake wrote:
I have two non-neutered males, they spray the walls abundantly, and I never clean. The smell disappears by itself very fast. Relax, it is not toxic, it is natural.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on this one. Cat urine is a very strong smell and it does not go away on it's own. You are probably used to smelling it but I don't want my house smelling cat peas all the time and I'm sure Robynn doesn't either.

Also I don't think it is a good idea to have an un-neutered cat in a home.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:31 pm 

GraciaKai wrote:
small pancake wrote:

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on this one. Cat urine is a very strong smell and it does not go away on it's own. You are probably used to smelling it but I don't want my house smelling cat peas all the time and I'm sure Robynn doesn't either.

Also I don't think it is a good idea to have an un-neutered cat in a home.

Yeah I'm with GraciaKai on this one - cat urine is one of the worst and most obvious smells, and I really don't want my house stinking of it.

And GraciaKai, thank you for the link! I'll have a read through it and see if there is anything else that I can be doing. I have seen the black lights around, but haven't heard anything about them so good to hear someone else mention them. I'll pick one up this weekend and comb through my house. I'm sure there might be a couple of spots I have missed or that the Natures Miracle just are not doing the job on. I can try the bleach on the walls and baseboards, but my carpet is a chocolate brown so I don't think the bleach would be safe on it. Ugh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:53 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Hey Robynn, I'm sorry you're dealing with this issue. I know cat pee is not the most awesome of smells and it is hard to get out. I know you mentioned you gave Maynard a Feliway collar, I wonder if a Feliway room diffuser might be a cool idea too. We started using the Feliway diffusers a few months ago- no pee issues, just kitties being mean and fighting- and it's helped a lot. Would it be possible for the cats to meet/become friends? I know that's kind of a weird idea, I just wonder if that might help Maynard realize the other cat is not a threat. Did your vet have any ideas?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:51 am 

Hey Dakini, thanks for the advice! I have looked at the diffusers, I just wanted to try the collar first mainly because of the cost of the diffusers and I think I would need two since he is spraying in 2 separate rooms. That is the next step though! I have been using a combo herbal/pheremone spray the last few days (Whisker City I think) which really seems to have been helping as I haven't noticed any spots in 2 days!!
I don't think I am going to introduce the 2 cats though, I think that would just stress out both of my kitties and the one downstairs (I think the one in the basement is pretty old too, so I don't think it would be fair to him). Maynard is also ridiculously territorial (hence the spraying haha) and can't even stand seeing a cat through the window, much less coming face to face with one. Hopefully he will come to get used to the scent of the downstairs cat over time and will relax if the same scent is always there!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:08 pm 

Ok, so he is still spraying. I'm at a total loss. The vet said I could try anti-anxiety meds, but I don't know if that's a standard practice for spraying? How does it affect the cat? Maynard is so lovable and playful and crazy, I would hate to put him on anything that would change him or make him feel 'off'. Do any of you have any experience with meds for spraying?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:37 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have two cats on Prozac to deal with spraying issues. It works like a dream and I am sorry that I hesitated for so long before trying anti-anxiety meds on them. The are semi-feral, shy cats and the Prozac has relaxed them without any major personality changes. They have been on these meds for about a year now and it is such a relief to come home to a clean, unsprayed house. They will probably need to stay on Prozac for a while, as spraying behavior has a high return rate if the Prozac is discontinued.

We have the Prozac compounded into a liquid that we give to them in their food. They are semi-feral, so pilling them is hard!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:16 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

How're things going?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:48 am 

He was doing great for 2 weeks after I put 2 Feliway diffusers in the house, and then it's like he just got used to them and has been spraying 1-3x per day for the last few days. I'm calling the vet in the morning to talk about putting him on meds as there is absolutely nothing else I can do as far as I can tell. I hope he doesn't change (personality-wise) because of them!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Have you tried Pettastic? Nature's Miracle split into two companies. NM got the name and the original, effective formula went to Pettastic.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:41 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I'm sorry to hear your kitty is still stressed, Robynn. I definitely understand your concerns about psych meds and I'm glad you're talking to your vet about it. My two cents is that just like in humans, psych meds treat the symptoms of a condition, not alter a personality. And also like in humans, sometimes psych meds are needed to get through a situation an individual is going through, and may not be needed as a permanent solution. It's a big decision to make, but you know you have our support no matter what! <3

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:13 pm 

celyn - I can't find the Pettastic here anywhere yet, so I have been using the current natures miracle. The last bottle I purchased was actually Bissel eeew urine elimator (essentially the same ingredients but unfortunately smells a lot worse) for this last bout of spraying to see if this one was any more effective.

dakini - thank you for the support (and everyone else!). I'll let you all know the outcome of my conversation with the vet tomorrow. And thank you for putting it like that for me, makes perfect sense. It's strange that I have no problem giving myself meds when needed but am super nervous giving them to my little boy (cat)!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:17 pm 

Ok, so the vet is going to try Maynard on buspirone for his spraying. They had to order the tablets in so I will pick them up on Thursday. Does anyone have any experience with this drug? Also, any tips on getting a fussy cat to swallow a pill? I think this might be the biggest challenge!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:19 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I hope the buspirone works!

Here's my advice on pilling a cat. Please have patience!

1. Get a piller from the vet. Mine gives them to me for free.
2. Get some plain gel caps from the store. Put the pill in the capsule. This makes the pill tasteless and odorless, reducing a dimension of irritation for the cat. Also, if you mess up the first time, you still have an intact pill, instead of one the is partly dissolved and making the cat foam up and drool. I hate when that happens.
3. Put the cat on the floor or on the bed so you can kneel with the cat between your legs. This way the cat is very well contained. Once a cat starts flailing around, it becomes really hard to continue. If the cat has a tendency to use his paws to swipe your hand away...you'll need to get help or somehow restrain the paws.
4. Open the cat's mouth with one hand and have the piller ready in the other. When the cat's mouth is open, aim the piller for the back of the mouth, past the arch of the tongue. I tell my cat sitters that the motion is sort of like stabbing the cat in the back of the mouth, just so they know how quick they have to be. Then pop the pill in. If you have good placement, the pill will already be partway down the throat...no taste, no texture, and when you learn to do it quickly, the cat will just have a sense of...that was a weird thing to do, but no big deal.

And that is all I know about pilling a cat. I know the technique I described impressed my own vet, who was having trouble pilling my scared and disoriented cat during an office visit. :)

I hope you and Maynard experience some spraying relief once the med kicks in. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:54 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I used the Greenies pill pocket things (not vegan but my cats are not fed vegan) I buy the dog sized pack because for the same amount of money you get more product. I don't use the whole pocket but a tiny piece that is just enough to cover the tablet. I've gotten my cat to the point that she swallows on command aftet I pop in the back of her throat. I reward her with a treat afterward. If your cat is on the heavy side cat nip and praise can be the treat.

I've gotten my cats to stop spraying but using feliway, black light, lots of scrubbing, you may need to take up the baseboards or soak the heck out of them with Nature's Miracle because your cat may still be smell the urine absorbed by them. I have other suggestions. I will check back to see if the medicine helped and post more if it did not.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:48 am 
Tofu Pup

My most recent cat was a stray but neutered male, dumped on my mum then on me. He sprayed alot but I put it down to a new home and 2 new cats friends, and being kept indoors. We used felliway diffuser, just one but moved it around the house a bit. We also never told him of for spraying, so as not to stress him. We were advised never to use bleach or anything with ammonia to clean the area, as it smells of anther cats wee to him so he will re spray the area. I suppose then you could do a proper bleach clean once he has stoppe dthe spraying behviour. We have had him a few months and he has gone from spraying every day to maybe once a week, which I can cope with. He now only does it by the front door when next doors cat has peed on the outside, so we try to keep our gate shut to keep the neighbour cat out.

I hope the meds work, and hopefully he won't have to stay on them forever.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:34 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I hope the meds do help. I used kitty prozac on one cat one time for about 3 days. I could not stand how it made my cat into a zombie. Even though it only was a few days it did have a longer term calming effect. If you can get a hold of the book Cat vs Cat Keeping the Peace when you have a Multi-Cat Household it has a great section on dealing with spraying. Even though technically you only have one cat from what I am reading- the presence of other cats in the area can set off the spraying. It has a detailed explanation of cleanup without bleach and other useful information. It's a generally useful book for understanding cat behavior that serves a useful purpose beyond the information on spraying.

http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Vs-Keeping-Pe ... 0142004758

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:56 am 

Thanks everyone, here's hoping! He has been on them a couple days so not much of an effect yet with regards to spraying (vet said it might take up to a couple of weeks if they do actually work). He hasn't turned into a zombie or anything, which I was really afraid of - if anything he is slightly more playful and affectionate (which the vet said were potential side effects), which are not bad things in my book. I have gotten him to eat the pill by putting it in a greenies pill pocket and hiding that in his wet food (he won't eat it on its own in either the pocket or the wet food, but the combination seems to work).
Thanks for the book suggestion Sophiagrt! I'll check it out today! I do actually have one other cat, but she isn't new to the household (I have had her going on 2 years, and her and Maynard are the best of friends). The problem is definitely the neighborhood cats as far as I can tell. I have been cleaning up everything as I notice it (not using any bleach) and haven't scolded him once for spraying. I think once he stops I might have to replace 2 baseboards (I rent so I don't want to leave it for my landlady), but I don't want to do it before in case he continues to spray. I have a couple of the feliway diffusers in the house, but he sprays right next to one of them so I don't think they are having much of an effect.
Hopefully the meds will work and he will only have to be on them for a few months!

Post subject: Update: Male cat spraying in my house!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:32 pm 

Update! So he has been on the meds for over a month now and there has been no change. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow to figure out if there is anything else I can do. I have soaked and scrubbed every inch of the areas where he sprays, and we have replaced all of the baseboards in those areas to get rid of the smell, and he is still spraying. The feliway diffusers haven't made a difference either as far as I can tell. I have no idea what else to do. We have even considered moving (our lease is up in January), but we love this place so much I would hate to leave, and we have no guarantee that he would stop. What if we move and he sprays there too? I'm at a loss.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:53 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Aaugh! Every cat lover's nightmare...a non-responsive sprayer.... I'm so sorry!

I'm outta suggestions, except to confine him when you can't keep an eye on him. I had a friend who kept their spraying male cat in a small bedroom, so at least the damage was confined to a known area. Probably not feasible for you, but a thought nevertheless.

Again, I am so sorry. I hope someone else has some bright, workable ideas for you.

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]