| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Malabsorption of Fat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:55 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Anybody ever have this? I am going back to the drs to talk about the fact that it is shown in an "unmentionable test" that I do not absorb enough of the fat I eat, which also means I probably don't enough of the fat soluble nutrients either. Could be why I am losing weight, weight that I can't really afford to lose. I have been googling like crazy and wondering why this would be. Anyone have experience? I have already been tested for celiacs disease, the good blood test for it, and it was negative and not a soul in my family has it or symptoms.

Post subject: Re: Malabsorption of Fat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:43 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I don't think I have the same issue as you (I do have an issue with eating fatty foods causing me big problems) but I am wondering if digestive enzymes and Sam-E might help with supporting your digestive system and help with your issues. Maybe after you get your diagnosis if you doctor isn't open to discussing supplemental support go see a Naturopath and see if they have suggestions. Having been through lots of tests and a number of meds which didn't help I found some supplements did help. If you can go for the least invasive solution for your issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:45 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I don't have personal experience with this, but my partner does. In his case it's caused by Crohn's and the fact that his gall bladder's been removed. It causes him severe anemia and vitamin D deficiency amongst other things.

Sophiagrt wrote:
I don't think I have the same issue as you (I do have an issue with eating fatty foods causing me big problems) but I am wondering if digestive enzymes and Sam-E might help with supporting your digestive system and help with your issues. Maybe after you get your diagnosis if you doctor isn't open to discussing supplemental support go see a Naturopath and see if they have suggestions. Having been through lots of tests and a number of meds which didn't help I found some supplements did help. If you can go for the least invasive solution for your issue.

Fat malabsorption could be a symptom of a more serious issue. I wouldn't try to treat it with supplements. It's important for you and your doctor to get to the bottom of what's causing it and get proper treatment for the cause itself. If you are deficient in any fat soluble nutrients, s/he should be able to hook you up with prescription doses of whatever you are not absorbing properly.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:58 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks. I am working with a gastrologist for all my digestive issues, but all we know so far is that I am one really healthy person who just has issues that we can't explain. I actually think this issue might be unrelated to what we are trying to figure out. Hmmmm, I really really hope it is not Chrohn's. It doesn't run in my family on either side.

Luckily my dr is the type who believes that most medications mask problems, and he likes to solve the problems instead, if it is possible.