| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HEY HOUSTONITES!!!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:12 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Dr. Kirt "RawDoc" Tyson of "Simply Raw - Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days" fame will be presenting with his new book "The RAW Truth" in Houston TONIGHT at the Crowne Plaza Hotel River Oak!! I attended in Dallas last night and his lecture and time are so VERY VALUABLE! Head on out and catch him tonight while you can! It is NOT too late to register - This is a FREE Naturopathic talk with Q&A beginning at 8:10pm. Or come for the film too (beginning at 6:30pm), "Simply Raw - Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days" for only $5. Dr. Tyson is amazing, engaging and a joy to listen and learn from about treating diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc with Naturopathy and raw foods! :) http://www.livingrawforlife.com/home.aspx

Mattye Lee's Vegan Kitchen Blog

Post subject: Re: HEY HOUSTONITES!!!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:17 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I have no problem whatsoever with raw diets, but I think it's terrible that Kirt Tyson and Gabriel Cousens say that you can cure type 1 diabetes with diet. It's misleading and a horrible thing to do with a disease that often affects children.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:22 pm 

Why do you feel that it is not true? He himself was diagnosed diabetic and has reversed his...and he is not the only one. Where are you coming from on this?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:56 pm 

I'm specifically talking about type 1 diabetes, which is different from type 2 diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease in which the body attacks the cells in the pancreas which produce insulin. People diagnosed with type 1 diabetes have to take insulin for the rest of their lives because their bodies no longer produce it. A raw diet, which is generally lower in carbs since grains are limited, might reduce the amount of insulin a person with type 1 diabetes needs, but this is in no way a cure.

Hundreds and hundreds of studies have shown that diet changes can bring type 2 diabetes into remission, or "reverse" it, but there has never been a study showing that the same thing for type 1 diabetes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:34 pm 

Yes, I do know the difference in Type I and Type II. Dr. Tyson was a Type I and his remains reversed. He also states that not ALL Type I can be reversed - but that their insulin can be decreased so long as they stay on program.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:24 am 

Misdiagnosis in adults with diabetes is really common. I'm not convinced Kirt had traditional type 1 diabetes since he went to the Tree of Life so soon after diagnosis. Gabriel Cousens claims that 1/3 of the type 1 diabetes patients he treats are cured. And it's highly unlikely that he has such a successful treatment and no one else is replicating it or talking about it. Dr. Barnard has had many papers published on treating type 2 diabetes with a vegan diet. If Gabriel Cousen's work is so successful (and really 1/3 cure rate for type 1 diabetes would be miraculous), why isn't he publishing to share this information with the most amount of people possible?

Reducing insulin for a type 1 diabetic doesn't mean their health or quality of life is any better. It's doesn't mean they're less likely to have a heart attack (#1 killer of type 1s) or develop another autoimmune disease.