| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: What did you make for your baby/toddler to eat today?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:47 pm 
Semen Strong

She has been a ravenous pit today! I wonder if its a growth spurt....

Breakfast: banana blueberry silver dollar pancakes with extra flax and fresh strawberries as a side. She loved them and ate 3.

Lunch: Veg Heaven: handfuls of pickled cabbage and carrots, wonton soup and green beans with ginger beef. She also ate two bites of tofu and acted like she was still starving.

Dinner: TJ's Harvest Grains cooked with lacinato kale in broth and then the So Delicious coconut greek yogurty for dessert. Loved all of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:18 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Any suggestions for cool stuff to get while I'm in the land of Trader Joe's? (I've written more than one email suggesting that they need to expand to the UK, but it's not happened yet, heh). Sis and I went today with the bean and got, amongst other things, the snap pea crisps that seem to be all the rage. Freya seemed to like them, but not as much as she enjoyed feeding them to the dog who was then her instant friend.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:34 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

refinnej wrote:
Any suggestions for cool stuff to get while I'm in the land of Trader Joe's? (I've written more than one email suggesting that they need to expand to the UK, but it's not happened yet, heh). Sis and I went today with the bean and got, amongst other things, the snap pea crisps that seem to be all the rage. Freya seemed to like them, but not as much as she enjoyed feeding them to the dog who was then her instant friend.

I make Lu the Harvest Grains, which is a bag of dried couscous, quinoa and baby garbanzo beans. He loves that stuff! And they have coconut oil there for the lowest price I've seen. I try to fatten up the kid's food with it. And they have apple sauce with added calcium. He likes that, too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:06 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Emperor is crazy about the freeze dried fruits at TJ's, especially the mango. I also buy the reduced guilt wheat crackers for him... I figure if he's going to eat crackers, those ones aren't so bad!

Most of the stuff I get at TJs are staples and so not likely of interest to you!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:37 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Just discovered Malka likes peanut butter! She has been kind of picky and not into solid food these days (besides O's of course), so this was a nice surprise. She stuck biggish chunks of bread with pb in her mouth and then actually chewed and swallowed, which was just amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:44 pm 
Semen Strong

Breakfast: blueberry banana flax pancakes - win!

Lunch: Fail. We didn't realize that our local Indian place does a special Kerala buffet on Sundays and it was insanely spicy plus basically all meat. Normally we go and its very American palate friendly and about half vegetarian. So she kept trying stuff and hating it. Even the vada and the daal which are generally fail-safe had something very spicy in them. She had just cabbage thoran and fried banana with a little rice. It was cool though, because it was full of little South Asian kids and Leela had a blast waving to them.

Is it weird that she is more sensitive to spice now than she was at 6 months?

She is now eating an icepop.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Breakfast: two bites of banana, one bite toast with almond butter, a little almond yogurt

Snack: tj's animal crackers

Lunch: half a sunshine burger with ketchup, a bite or two of toast with hummus, half dozen snap pea crisps--yay, salt!

Snack: soy yogurt (rejected), and lots of tj's freeze dried blueberries--these made an awesome mess, and I now have a purple mouthed-shaped stain on my shirt where he decided to kiss my tummy

Dinner will be leftover pinto beans, cornbread with earth balance, and kale cut up really tiny.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:11 pm 
Married to the wolfman

T, I don't think the increase in spice sensitivity is unusual... The Emperor loved all sorts of spicy crepe when he was little and now he can't handle much spice at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:55 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

ugh, today was the most annoying food day ever. actually, kind of just an annoying day in general, but she barely ate anything and was a PITA about all things food related.

b: cheerios
s: half a bagel with pb+j
s: couple pieces of granola bar
l: like two bites of rice, three bites of naan, and... that's it. accompanied with much wailing and screeching and gnashing of teeth. was concluded with about 10 minutes of sobbing and then passing out for her nap.
s: freezie and like 2 cups of soymilk
d: a weird tzipi speciality... cold cubed tofu, frozen peas and corn on the cob. she couldn't decide if the corn should be cut off the cob or eaten on the cob and went back and forth several times. however, a couple bites of everything were eaten, while i was still serving up the adults' plates. once we sat down to eat, it went downhill. she had to sit on my lap, then daddy's lap, then shovel in peas with both hands, then wanted my corn, then daddy's. we were also eating tofurkey sausages with sauerkraut and mustard, and she decided she didn't want anything but sauerkraut. the whole debacle ended with a time out for flinging food on the floor, a return to the kitchen to eat more, more food flinging, and a tearful send-off to bed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:49 pm 

Today we experimented with self-feeding using a loaded spoon. Very messy, but fun.

B: banana and soy yogurt with blueberries, mango, and kale whizzed in blender=love
L: black-eyed pea and tempeh balls with tomato sauce and noodles, sweet potato
S: strawberries
D: udon noodles and peanut sauce, tofu from my curry, sweet potato, and tons of cold puréed borscht! What a big pink mess, but she loved it and kept demanding more loaded spoons.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Rice cereal. Very exciting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:56 pm 
Semen Strong

Last night's dinner was Soyboy ravioli in a butter sauce. She liked it a lot.

Today:
Breakfast: granola, strawberries and bloobs in coconut yogurt
Lunch: blackbean, spinach, quinoa and guac in a brown rice tortilla. To make up for a few days of processed food and crappy catch as catch can restaurant meals. Blackberry banana ice-pop.

Dinner: rice pasta with spinach and mushrooms in a miso sauce.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:57 pm 

I think she like that, Tofulish!

Today we had green smoothie and banana for breakfast. Lunch was bean and tempeh balls (again! I am all about leftovers) and baked sweet potato fries. A few bites of my kale and rice. Dinner was a big hit with Mac and trees (and cauliflower). I used big corkscrew pasta (gobbetti) and that was easy for her to pick up and stuff into her face! A few strawberries and more sweet potato.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

A little catch-up.

Sunday brunch: whole wheat biscuits spread with homemade blackberry freezer jam + vegan dad's breakfast sausage. He loved it all!

Sunday dinner: black beans sauteed w/ sage, garlic & green peppers (did not like) + white corn polenta w/ brocolli & daiya (he ate a whole bowl)

Monday dinner leftovers: vegan dad sausage & polenta - he wouldn't eat a bite of either! what gives - you chomped it up the other day kid?!? I think all he ate was happy baby puffs.

Tuesday dinner: was going to make awesome lemon-ginger seitan & zucchini orzo, ran out of time. Instead he had sunshine burger, mixed veggies & rice. He usually loves this meal, but cried his FACE off getting into the high chair and refused to eat a bite until I airplained some rice in his mouth. He ate the rice and wouldn't touch anything else so I ended up giving him ice cream (almond dream vanilla) to keep him from crawling out of the chair (which he is now able to houdini out of the straps). After a bit of ice cream he let me feed him some veggies and maybe 1/4 of a burger. sigh. I hate nights like this!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh here's something else annoying and a PSA - took my small dog for his yearly vet visit 2 weeks ago, turns out he went from 15 to 18 lbs. Vet said that's a significant gain for a dog his size so he needs to diet. I was giving him all the healthy veggie/rice/etc leftover from Kai mixed with his dry kibble (vdog). Big mistake! Now all this food Kai doesn't eat gets wasted, what a bummer.

Either that or I eat it and totally wreck my diet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:16 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Aubade, I hear ya! How much effing food that goes to waste because of my toddler is INSANE! INSANE! I could feed a small country with all the food that has been thrown away because he won't eat it.

I made him chicpea salad today and he rejected it. I made him chicpea tomato soup and he rejected it. I made him banana coins with a smear of almond butter and he rejected it. I made him baked beans from scratch and he rejected those too. I made couscous salad and he rejected it. I made him a smoothie(pineapple, mango, banana, almond butter, almond milk) and he rejected it

I made him a smart dog and he ate the whole thing. I made him brown rice mixed with sunflower butter and braggs and he loved it. I gave him some snap crisps and he loved those too.

Very frustrating times!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:28 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh Bonnie, that sounds so frustrating! When do they start getting picky?

Leela at this stage loves food so much that when I start cooking, she pulls herself up on the gates and yells at me. Then she gets to come see how we cook, and then she gets upset and frustrated that food has to cool and then she eats it all until she is full and then pushes everything onto the floor and makes the signal for "up" to get out of her chair. Its so funny.

Today we had:
Breakfast: Tofu scramble (TJ's sprouted high protein organic tofu with lacinato kale, nooch and hummus) on sesame sprouted Ezekiel toast.
Snack: about a half cup of cut-up veggies.
Lunch: Green beans, rice pasta and chickpeas in a miso-tahini sauce. Strawberry pop for dessert (she had a choice of raspberry Greek yogurt or a pop)
Dinner: Pizza from Pizza Fusion (artichoke, daiya, spinach, mushroom and roasted garlic).

She loved all of it.

If she kept enjoying my cooking like this forever, I'd feel like a gourmet chef!

Am I stupid for starting to offer her choices? I generally offer her one of two things for dessert at lunch... Is it better just to teach her to eat what she is given?

Also, C&S, I'd love your list of TJ's staples. I think I can get our shopping down to 2 TJ visits a month and save some money that way (eliminate my very expensive WF habit).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:54 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Tofulish, I know pickiness peaks at 2. My boy is 17 months so I can't imagine how much worse he can get. UGH! Maybe your girl (beautiful, btw) won't be picky at all. I do remember my guy got picky in May so he was about 15 months old when he got really bad. He has his ups and downs. When he does not eat things or does not try new things it is usually because he is just not hungry. For dinner tonight he ate a ton!

Here is the day:

Breakfast: cheerios with hemp/sunflower/sesame ground seed mixture and squished banana with soy milk. Did not touch the banana and almond butter.

snack: 2 pouches in grocery store, mango and then a peach

Lunch: tons of TJ's savoury flavored tofu. Some veggies dipped in goddess. I made him a mock tuna salad sandwich and he did not touch it. Soy milk. Freeze dried bananas and apples.

Snack: cherry apple pouch. I made him a corn cake with tahini, date syrup, strawberry jam but he did not touch it.
then an hour later I made him almond butter sprinkled with flax/chia mixture and strawberry jam on sprouted grain bread....he ate all of this and a few bites of the corn cake thing I mentioned earlier. I got some strawberries at the farm and cut those up for him. He did not touch them.

Dinner: Brown rice mixed with sunflower butter and braggs. Tofu omelette with kale, peppers, broccoli, onion. 2 corn tortillas with refried beans. tons and tons of guacamole. broccoli, peas, pepper dipped in goddess. soy milk.
This dinner made me happy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:12 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I've missed logging for a few days! Today the monkey ate pretty well.

Breakfast- cashew butter on toast, a banana, and then took over his dad's rice protein smoothie
Snack- a plum and a couple of organic baby cookies
Lunch- white beans and brown rice mixed with a quick nutritional yeast sauce (he didn't love it), 1/2 avocado, broccoli tops in flax oil
Snack- a fruit pouch sucked down while running amuck in the house
Dinner- about 5 Wildwood sprouted tofu meatballs, a bunch of sweet potato chunks with olive oil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:45 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I want to say the Emperor started with the pickiness just after his second birthday... It was at the very end of vegan MoFo last year. It was all downhill from there. (Nah, he's getting better again lately.)

TJs staples: beans (black, white, chickpeas), canned tomato products (diced, sauce and whole... Ours doesn't have crushed), nuts (almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds), unsweetend almond and soy milks, white whole wheat flour, unsweetened apple sauce, peanut butter with flax seeds, oats, tofu, jam, pastas (whole wheat, brown rice, corn, and the oat fiber one). If I run low on any of these I try to replace them right away because seriously this accounts for a ton of what E & I eat other than fruits and vegetables. We both seriously get crabby if we don't have our nuts.

We gave the Magician some dry bits of cereal this morning just to see what he would do with it. It was hilarious. He would grab them, try to get them to his mouth and they'd fall and skitter away and he'd sort of pounce on them to get them back. He did eventually manage to stuff about 3 in his mouth. Later he ate a bite of guacamole and four black beans. Big day!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:03 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

7 year-old had:

B - Quinoa cereal (ricemilk, sugar, cinnamon)
S - apples & strawberries
L - black eyed peas & white rice & broccoli
S - oreos

I have no idea what she'll have for dinner because she's spending the night with grandpa. I imagine that means she'll be eating chicken. Sad face.

A. (8 months today!!!):

She's just having brown rice mixed with carrot/apple juice (fresh squeezed) and banana.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Rice cereal and avocado!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:16 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Magician gnawed on watermelon at breakfast and ate several beans at lunch. I didn't give him anything at dinner time.

The Emperor ate so. Much. Food. Just listing the fruit he had today, he had: watermelon, cherries, blackberries, blueberries, grapes, apricots, and a banana. He is going to be so bummed when we leave his grandparents' house/summer ends and he doesn't have evertittle of fruit at his disposal anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:45 am 
Semen Strong

Yesterday was a big ole day of FAIL.

Breakfast: granola, fruit and soy yogurt.
Lunch: quinoa, avocado and blackbeans in a rice tortilla
snack: so many Os and puffs bc we were out of veggies
dinner: left-over Pizza Fusion pizza and a fruit pop.

The last two meals, man. I should be embarrassed. But we were tired and yeah. In other news left over Pizza Fusion pizza is yummy.

Today's breakfast of redemption: Tofu scramble on sprouted sesame toast. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:14 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish! I would never consider that day a FAIL! Its an awesome food day if you ask me.

Lets see for us yesterday:

Breakfast: banana, crackers, o's, coconut milk w. udo's oil for Miles and peanut butter and crackers for Reno
Snack: fruit and veg puree squeeze pack (Miles only)
Lunch: leftover rice and beans with hidden zucchini and tomatoes. Reno had a few Pop Chips with her rice and beans for a treat.
Snack: 1/2 and avocado each
Dinner: Chickpea cutlets (Reno ate 3!), broccoli and cucumbers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next