| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: what are important questions to ask an OBGYN?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:14 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks! that is what i was kind of thinking it was.

i better start writing all my questions down for this appt!! :-O

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:44 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Doulas handle everything from the waist up. :)

I would suggest checking out The Business of Being Born/More Business of Being Born (they're both available online via netflix or from their own website. MBOBB particularly talks about doulas and their roles in birth a lot.)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:02 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

LisaPunk wrote:
i have opposing opinions on vaccines in my family and i just want to be educated myself before they start yacking in my ear.
my mother in law is super against vaccines and none of her 4 kids have had many (if any??) vaccines. my husband doesnt think he has ever been vaccinated against anything. my mom on the other hand is an infection control nurse. my brother and i got all the normal vaccines kids got in the late 70s/early 80s so i can tell that im going to have 2 totally different strong opinions shouted at me.
families are so fun! ;-)

Regarding vaccines, this book might be helpful. It's written in a Q & A format but there are also references at the end of each section.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:02 am 
Inflexitarian

Even if you go with a midwife, I would suggest having a birth plan. And ask about c-section rates.

Not all midwives are equal..some are a little intervention happy, just like some OB/GYNs. (mine was very intervention happy, there's a misconception midwives are always better) So interview them carefully and discuss things that are important to you.

http://www.injoyvideos.com/mothersadvocate/index.htm has a lot of great resources for finding a care provider and doula under "print materials" :) It has a lot of other great resources to.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:57 am 
Chip Strong

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your midwife, Shanti. I remember you saying that. Unfortunately all midwives and doctors are under a lot of pressure to conform to the norms of their practice and the hospital where they work. How much "midwifery care" a midwife can offer also has a lot to do with practice regulations in your state; some states have laws that make midwives totally independent practitioners, and in some states their practice is so restricted they are hardly even allowed to do their job, and work more like registered nurses.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:20 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Ok my appt is this Thursday afternoon. ive made my own little list of things I want to ask about, am I missing anything big?
First thing Im gonna do is explain to her that we weren’t originally planning on having kids so I really have NO CLUE about ANYTHING. and I also want to tell her right off the bat that I am vegan and that is a deal breaker for me in terms of care so if she’s not down with that then I might as well not waste her time (obviously I will phrase it nicer than that but that’s the gist). I may ask her if it would be wise to consult a nutritionist to make sure my diet is getting the right amount of the right things I will need
Then my questions include:
*If she has a preference (or can tell me pros/cons) for Marlborough Hosp vs UMASS in Worcester (she has priviledges at both). we took a fun little trip to the ER at Marlboro Hosp last night when my husband scratched his cornea and I timed the trip. It’s a whole 4 minutes from our house. But I think UMASS which is about 20-25 minutes is a better hosp.
*about any midwife services. I was looking on the UMASS website and it looks like UMASS health system only has a midwifery program at Health Alliance Hosp which is in Leominster and I don’t want to go there.
*vaccines my husband and I should get
*ask about the supplements I take and over the counter meds
*I have to have a serious chat with her about my Rx for cymbalta. Ive been trying to wean off it with the idea of switching to something different and it’s going horribly. I don’t react well to coming off meds :-(
*if I should have bloodwork done again (just had some done in October)
*if she is pro-choice and what my options are for any difficulties that may arise
*c-section rate for both her and also the two hospitals
*I have questions relating to caring for all my animals and being pregnant. Ive never heard of dogs or guinea pigs being an issue to pregnant women but it’s best to find out. im kinda worried about the Frontline we put on the dogs for ticks. Also if one of my animals gets sick I am not afraid to do whatever Is necessary to take care of it so in the past that has included giving daily bum baths to a sick guinea pig with a squish poo issue. i am no stranger to animal pee/poo/puke
*then I have a bunch of really basic questions about stuff like exercise, hair dye, coffee, crepe like that.
Also I was googling stuff today trying to find a checklist of questions to ask (which I did eventually find) and one site said that women who struggle with depression are twice as likely to have trouble conceiving. Then it went on not to tell me why that might be but it said that people who suffer from depression can barely take care of themselves that they couldn’t possibly take care of a baby which is literally about one of the most insulting things ever. I felt like it is similar to say all alcoholics are just losers who have no self control. I mean seriously!! Anyways. rant aside I was wondering if that has any scientific basis to that cause I also read that high consumption of caffeine can lead to problems conceiving. I have tapered down my caffeine consumption and am still trying to taper down even more with the thought of kicking it completely but I do have a history of high amounts of caffeine consumption (coffee!!!)

am i missing anything big?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:34 am 
***LIES!!!***

If she recommends pre-conception genetic testing for your ethnicity. If she doesn't have midwives in her practice she probably won't have much useful to say on that point. I would ask about other intervention rates along with C-section: rate of induction and augmentation, rate of epidural use, rate of episiotomy. If she recommends a nutritionist, don't forget to get a prescription so your insurance is more likely to cover it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:49 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

you need an Rx to see a nutritionist?
oh snap i didnt realize that. ok good to know.

i figured genetic testing was something she would bring up. my ethnicity is pasty white girl!
ill put it on my list just in case she doesnt bring it up.
i have to figure out what those other things mean and then ill write them on my list (i only understand about half of them)

thanks! :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:54 am 
***LIES!!!***

Whether you need an Rx depends on your insurance, but I would get it just inl case.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:46 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Had our appt yesterday. it was good and informative for people like me who know nothing. I of course forgot roughly half my questions even though I had written them down. This is very typical for me though. I got my big questions answered so that is all I wanted.
When I told her I was a vegan she kind of looked at me like “what’s your point?” HAHAHAHAHA. She said her only concern would be protein and would want to know I was getting enough protein but otherwise she saw no problem with it and thought it was a healthy diet and kind of looked at me like “why are you even bringing this up?” and I was like “oh well some Drs see it as a problem”
She put some of my anti-depressant fears at ease and based on talking with her it really seemed like I don’t need to switch medications as the risks go with any medication but she seemed to feel that they were low risks and recommended I try counseling and then maybe I could use a lower dose of anti depressant in conjunction with counseling. She recommended a women’s health counseling group that I believe she said is at the hospital right near me so I will probably check that out.

Apparently they don’t deliver babies at my local hospital so that was an easy decision made for me! she kind of chuckled at me for thinking they did :-P what do I know? she said the state c-section rate for MA is 36% (I think) and that UMASS (the other hospital I was interested in) has a super low rate of 11% and she said that was insanely low so that makes me feel good.

Other than that she recommended I cut back on my sugar consumption. She said sugar is really bad for you during pregnancy.  I mean I knew I shouldn’t be eating candy all day when pregnant but I thought my normal sweet tooth would be ok. she seemed to disagree with me. I don’t know exactly why it’s bad but im guessing gestational diabetes.

She said I should find out if the tetanus vaccine I got last year included the t-dap because sometimes they do. is pertussis the same as whooping cough because im like 99% sure the tetanus shot I got included whooping cough.

The only thing I forgot to ask her was about hair dye. Am I ok to continue dying my hair while trying to conceive or perhaps super early in pregnancy (ie before you realize you are pregnant) I have some mad skunk roots going. :-/
She didn’t feel that we were needing an genetic testing. She asked us if we had a family history of birth defects in either of our families and we don’t. the only thing she touched upon was something about being Jewish. My husband is part Jewish and I am not any part Jewish so she seemed to think that was fine. I forget the exact word she used but she said a certain segment of the Jewish population has a higher rate of something so if we were both that type of Jewish we may need genetic testing.
Oh and yeah she told me to quick my crack addict coffee problem. but I knew that >_<

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:04 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yep, whooping cough is caused by Bordetella pertussis. Any luck getting the husband on board?

She was probably talking about Tay-Sachs, which is a recessive genetic disorder, so kid only gets it if both parents are carriers and both pass on their broken copy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:19 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok it sounds like i dont need the tdap vaccine then because i already got it. i think i will still call to check.
the dr was very definitive that she thought all parents needed to get it and said that for healthy adults it's a bad cough but for babies it means hospitalization. i havent actually broached the subject again with my husband. ive been harping on him to go get his routine physical (i think before obamacare our age group could get one every 3 years for my insurance so he is definitely due, now i think we can go every year??) and he hasnt made that appt yet.
im honestly thinking of just digging up the # of his dr and making him a physical appt myself and telling them on the phone he needs a tetanus/tdap vacccine and forcing him to go. i havent gone this route yet because i honestly didnt WANT to be the naggy wife and i feel like if i do things for him then he will just LET ME do things for him. but on this one i may have to.
we'll see how it goes!

the appt was mainly just "here is some info, what are your questions, call us when you are actually pregnant" which was fine because that's all we needed. i didnt even have to get an exam!!! woot!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:31 am 
Inflexitarian

If you're concerned about hair dye you could switch to a vegetable dye (I did this briefly during pregnancy)

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:51 am 
Semen Strong

I wouldn't stress massively about the DTAP at this point, if you're not around babies or immunocompromised people. Its definitely a "nice to have" but my husband got his in the hospital on the day we were released after I gave birth, so you do have a little time :)

I'd check out the hospital (they do tours for prospective parents) and start asking around with moms groups etc and see if people liked their experiences there. Seriously, having vegan food made the biggest difference ever to my happiness level. I was ravenous and hormonal, so if someone had given me a bare PB&J I would have eaten their faces off. And then my veganometer would be set back to O.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:26 am 
***LIES!!!***

11% C-section rate????!!!!!! Holy crepe, sign me up for that hospital!

On the vegan food in the hospital thing - Tofulish and I delivered at the same hospital two months apart and my vegan food experience was totally crepe there while hers was good, so it can really differ even at the same hospital. Next time, no matter where I deliver, I am bringing my own food. As long as there are fridges and microwaves you can use on the floor and you do a little pre-planning, you can cope with whatever. Whether the hospital is used to vegans would not be a major litmus test for me in choosing a place. I am much more interested in a place that is able to support women having all different kinds of births with dignity, care, and using medical intervention judiciously and conservatively.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i have no faith in hospitals and their food so i hadnt thought about it much but was kinda thinking of just having my husband bring me food.

i was in the hospital for a week after major surgery on my jaw once and i repeatedly told them that i was vegan and also HAD JUST HAD MY JAW MOVED and they repeatedly brought me GIANT PLATES of food that i couldnt eat. not only could i not chew anything and i wasnt allowed food, but it was stuff like spaghetti and meatballs and fish.
it was odd.

one would think that they would be following drs orders at the very least if they didnt give a crepe about my eating preferences.

by the end of the week i was finally managed to convince them to bring me veggie broth. they were kind of rude when i refused food too.

thankfully that was a different hospital than the one i am thinking about.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:43 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

LisaPunk wrote:

The only thing I forgot to ask her was about hair dye. Am I ok to continue dying my hair while trying to conceive or perhaps super early in pregnancy (ie before you realize you are pregnant) I have some mad skunk roots going. :-/

Totally an old wive's tale! I did a lot of research on this, and there is no evidence whatsoever that hair dye could negatively impact a growing baby. When you think about it, we're exposed to way more chemicals on a daily basis just walking around in polluted air and eating food and all that. Just so you're not huffing the ammonia kind, no worries :P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:33 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Regarding food in the hospital, right after I had the baby, before my husband could go home and bring me some food, they offered me juice, an apple and a turkey sandwich. I declined the sandwich, but couldn't decide on the juice. They were like, "We have apple, grape, orange, etc." And I was like, "I don't know which one I want" and they were like "You can have them all!" So I drank a lot of juice. I must have had... 8 juices at least that day. Maybe more? That was before they transferred me to a room and brought me regular hospital food. Then they brought me a tasty pasta which I was afraid to eat (because of my tear) but I ate most of it anyway (and it wasn't a problem). I was most appreciative of the food my hubby brought me though. I tried to get more information on the food from the hospital tour, but it was hard to get good info.