| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 138  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:24 am 
Dead by dawn

Good luck lobsterrific!! So exciting!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:44 am 
WELFARIST!

lobsteriffic wrote:
you guys! My marathon is on Sunday! I fly out to SF early tomorrow morning. Eek!!

You can do it! Good luck! Woot!!! I'll be thinking of you Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:07 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Exciting, lobsteriffic! Will it be hot? Why did you choose SF? (just curious, living vicariously :-))

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:34 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

lobsteriffic wrote:
you guys! My marathon is on Sunday! I fly out to SF early tomorrow morning. Eek!!

Good luck!!

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:33 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

You can do it, lobster!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:25 am 
Seagull of the PPK

yay lobsterrific!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:38 am 

GOOD LUCK, LOBSTERRRR!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:09 am 
Saggy Butt

Go, lobsteriffic!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:33 am 
Dead by dawn

Good luck today lobsterrific! I want to hear all about it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:40 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yay I finished!!! The first half went by really fast and I was doing so well. But I hit the wall pretty hard around mile 18. The last 4 miles or so were TOUGH. I had to take a few walk breaks and I questioned whether I was going to really finish this thing. I finally finished in 4:44:46...since it was my first marathon I didn't really have a time goal, although in the back of my mind I was thinking 4:30. Oh well, I don't care if I was slow during the last few miles, I still finished!

The race was on Sunday and I'm still pretty stiff and sore and walking like a pirate today (Tuesday)...hoping that by Thursday at least I am back to normal!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:50 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Wooooo congratulations!!! That's awesome!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:20 am 
Dead by dawn

Congratulations! You did it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:45 am 
Inflexitarian

Congrats lobster!! Aside from the marathon, how was SF?

I signed up for my first 10k. It's a month away. Should be fun. Not sure if I'll be ready or not, but... who cares. Gonna do it anyway!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:00 am 
Double double, toil and trouble

lobsteriffic wrote:
Yay I finished!!! The first half went by really fast and I was doing so well. But I hit the wall pretty hard around mile 18. The last 4 miles or so were TOUGH. I had to take a few walk breaks and I questioned whether I was going to really finish this thing. I finally finished in 4:44:46...since it was my first marathon I didn't really have a time goal, although in the back of my mind I was thinking 4:30. Oh well, I don't care if I was slow during the last few miles, I still finished!

The race was on Sunday and I'm still pretty stiff and sore and walking like a pirate today (Tuesday)...hoping that by Thursday at least I am back to normal!

You're a total badass! Congrats!

Also, can I ask what what your training for this looked like? Specifically, did you do any speed work, and if so, what kinds? And what was your longest long run prior to the marathon? I'm curious because I'm entering Week 6 of training for my first marathon, but I've been reading up on various other plans online and in Runner's World, and everyone else's is way more intense than mine! Anyone else training for a distance race is welcome to share, too!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:23 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Congrats, lobsterrific!
I started training for a half yesterday, which involved going to the track and doing real speedwork for the first time ever. It was really weird to be back at my old high school doing something athletic.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:43 pm 

Mazal tov, lobsterrific! Your race sounds pretty similar to mine. The first 1/2 of my race felt like a breeze but then dehydration & uneven pacing caught up with me.

Congratulations is in order because running 42 km is badass!! Rest up those legs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:08 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

That is fantastic, lobsterrific!! I am so happy for you!!

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:46 pm 

Thanks everyone!!

chop_socky - I used the Hal Higdon beginner marathon plan. There isn't speed work or anything fancy. My longest run was 20 miles. I'm a slow runner, and I've read that if you are slow, running more than 20 miles isn't that great of a strategy since it takes you so long and you are just wearing down your body. I don't know if that's true or not. But a lot of people seemed to use the plan for their first marathon. If there is ever a next time for me, I think I would pick a higher mileage plan. That being said, Higdon says his beginner plan is designed to get you over the finish line, and it did that for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:44 pm 

lobsteriffic wrote:
Thanks everyone!!

chop_socky - I used the Hal Higdon beginner marathon plan. There isn't speed work or anything fancy. My longest run was 20 miles. I'm a slow runner, and I've read that if you are slow, running more than 20 miles isn't that great of a strategy since it takes you so long and you are just wearing down your body. I don't know if that's true or not. But a lot of people seemed to use the plan for their first marathon. If there is ever a next time for me, I think I would pick a higher mileage plan. That being said, Higdon says his beginner plan is designed to get you over the finish line, and it did that for me.

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm also a slow runner, and I do think it puts more wear and tear on your body. I've been battling various foot pains for a couple of months (I finally saw a podiatrist for x-rays, and I have fallen arches and some mild joint deterioration and arthritis), and I notice that my feet tend to hurt far more during my slower runs than they do during speed work. This makes sense, as your feet spend a longer time in a weight-bearing position during slower runs than they do during fast ones.

I ended up buying Four Months to a Four Hour Marathon (which also has plans for a 4:15 and 4:30, which is probably more realistic for me). The weekly mileages are pretty low compared to a lot of the plans out there. It does include repeats and tempo runs, but a lot of the plans I've looked at online and in RW have you running six days a week, and this one has me running four, with two cross-training days (which I sometime skip or use to make up missed runs from the previous week). I spent a couple of weeks running six times a week at the recommendation of a friend who is a former pro-racer, and I was constantly dealing with some injury or another.

Anyway, I feel better now. And you're such a huge inspiration!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:22 am 
Saggy Butt

Congratulations lobster!! You did awesome!

Ha, I also felt really great for the first half and hit the wall really hard around mile 18. I used one of Hal Higdon's training programs too and I really liked it. Now i'm not following an exact plan but combining Higdon's with some of the ideas in a book called Brain Training for Runners. It works in some strength training and some speedwork.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:58 am 

That damn mile 18. It's so brutal too, because you're like "holy cow, I ran 18 miles" but then you think "but there's still 8.2 miles to go!!"

chop_socky I only ran 4x/week as well. When I run 5 or more I just never felt rested in between runs and I always felt like I was getting worn down. I think it's such an individual thing. Marathon training taught me to quit paying attention to what other people were doing and just concentrate on what was right for me. At first I was spending a lot of time on the Runners World forums looking at marathon training threads, any everyone was posting about running every day and doing all of this intense stuff and how they have finishing times of less than 3 hours. It made me question if I was ready for a marathon. But then I just decided to do my own thing. Sorry, this was long, but hopefully it's helpful to you. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:08 am 
Saggy Butt

Yay Lobster! Well done you are awesome! Hope you feel fully recovered soon.

So what's next?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:11 am 
Saggy Butt

Today 5k run on the cliff. Because I've been struggling recently I've not done much and my calves & thighs are really aching now. It was quite a good run though so I shouldn't complain.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:31 pm 

lobsteriffic wrote:
That damn mile 18. It's so brutal too, because you're like "holy cow, I ran 18 miles" but then you think "but there's still 8.2 miles to go!!"

chop_socky I only ran 4x/week as well. When I run 5 or more I just never felt rested in between runs and I always felt like I was getting worn down. I think it's such an individual thing. Marathon training taught me to quit paying attention to what other people were doing and just concentrate on what was right for me. At first I was spending a lot of time on the Runners World forums looking at marathon training threads, any everyone was posting about running every day and doing all of this intense stuff and how they have finishing times of less than 3 hours. It made me question if I was ready for a marathon. But then I just decided to do my own thing. Sorry, this was long, but hopefully it's helpful to you. :)

It's super helpful! Sometimes while reading about other distance runners' super-intensive training schedules I feel like I'm not a serious enough runner to strive for something as big as a marathon. It's really nice to hear from someone who has managed to do so while also listening to their body. I need to be more like that, and not feel bad about missing a training day because of pain, and not be so concerned with hitting a goal time, especially my first time around. You're a good role model!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:41 pm 
Dead by dawn

I totally agree with not going for a goal time the first time around (at any distance/event.) You just don't know what to expect and if you keep the goal of finishing in perspective I think it's easier to roll with the punches when things don't go according to plan on race day. Like that damn mile 18 I always hear about (seriously, you're not alone lobsterrific!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 138  Next