| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:06 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I thought today a timely reminder about the Cinqo de Mayo burgers, one of my husband's favourites.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:43 pm 
Hail Seitan!

I made my first recipe from this book tonight - the ortega burgers. I had all the ingredients on hand and this one looked pretty low in fat/calories (but still tasty). Pretty happy with the way it turned out - the last burger was a little crumbly and didn't hold up in the pan, which probably means I should have added more salsa to the overall recipe. I think they'd be good too with more Mexican-esque toppings, though mine were fine with lettuce, tomato, and vegenaise.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:03 pm 
ugh

I borrowed this from the library, and I've been pretty pleased with it. The best part is that the recipes make a ton of burgers that I can freeze, so I'll be eating them long after I return the book. (Though I do plan to buy it sometime.)

Recipes I've made:
- Simple pesto - as it sounds, good but not noteworthy
- Sundried tomato and pesto burger - Excellent texture and flavor, best eaten between slices of crusty garlic bread slathered with pesto
- Pizza burger - a bit on the gummy side, spices were excellent, very good inside an English muffin with FYH mozzarella
- Bacon bits - good but not as bacon-y as I'd like. The texture was right on, though.
- BBQ sauce - delicious!
- Bacon cheeseburger - too sweet but otherwise good. Boyfriend was put off by a chunk of peanut butter that didn't get mixed in though.
- Ortega burger - a little gummy, great flavor

I baked all of the burgers. Freezing them first had the best results - I didn't freeze the Ortega and it was very soft. Oddly, microwaving for a minute after baking seemed to help (which I was doing anyway to melt vegan cheese on top). Smaller, thinner burgers had a better texture, so I usually made more burgers than the recipe said it would make.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:46 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Sundried tomato and pesto burger: yes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:21 pm 
Nailed to the V

veggiepalooza wrote:
Sundried tomato and pesto burger: yes.

Plus one. I think these are my favorite burgers yet and they are made with whole grain and mushrooms, so I think they're even healthy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:16 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

bunniee wrote:
I'm going to try making the really meaty burgers this weekend with Upton's ground seitan.

Did you ever end up trying this? I just picked up a package of Upton's to grind up so I'm gonna give it a go.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:42 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Quarantined wrote:
bunniee wrote:
I'm going to try making the really meaty burgers this weekend with Upton's ground seitan.

Did you ever end up trying this? I just picked up a package of Upton's to grind up so I'm gonna give it a go.

Yes, the Upton's seitan worked fine but I don't recall being wowed by the burgers.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:53 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

bunniee wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
bunniee wrote:

Yes, the Upton's seitan worked fine but I don't recall being wowed by the burgers.

Thanks, I made up the mixture last night, and formed into patties using my burger ring. They were super crumbly, though, so I simply froze them right away. I'm going to try grilling them straight from the freezer, but I'm really skeptical about them holding together. Will report back when I try them.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:41 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

so, I want to make the bacon cheezeburgers but am concerned about the sweetness issue...obviously I can just leave out some maple syrup but I feel like I should replace it with something. You think veg broth, for instance, will not be the right consistency? I bet the syrup's stickiness is important for binding.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Audrey wrote:
so, I want to make the bacon cheezeburgers but am concerned about the sweetness issue...obviously I can just leave out some maple syrup but I feel like I should replace it with something. You think veg broth, for instance, will not be the right consistency? I bet the syrup's stickiness is important for binding.

I reduced the maple syrup from 1/4 cup to a tablespoon, and used tahini in place of peanut butter. The burgers held together just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:22 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ack, the Really Meaty Burgers did not hold together at all. I had to serve them in pita bread they were so crumbly. I might have had a little too much water in the mix, but it seemed like the recipe is lacking an essential binding agent.

Gonna try the Sunday Afternoon Grillers next.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:31 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

hello, i just got this book from the library and i'm looking to try it out, anyone have a recommendation for one with good texture? So far all my attempts at veggie burgers have failed miserably and I get nothing but crumbles or mushyness. thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

Dalek wrote:
hello, i just got this book from the library and i'm looking to try it out, anyone have a recommendation for one with good texture? So far all my attempts at veggie burgers have failed miserably and I get nothing but crumbles or mushyness. thanks

The bacon cheeseburgers are outstanding. I followed the recipe exactly and couldn't believe how well they turned out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:59 pm 
Hail Seitan!

I made the zucchini mushroom burgers today, since I've got more zucchini than I know what to do with (thanks CSA) and these looked healthy and easy.

I pan fried the first batch, and they didn't hold up in the pan at all. The dough formed easily enough into burgers, so I didn't think I needed to add more flour. I baked the second batch (and the crumbs from the first batch) . Baked they turned out ok - still sort of fragile, but at least they're not falling apart completely. If I make these again, I might add a tablespoon or two of nut butter to bind. I'll also add a couple of teaspoons of spices or some herbs or something to the dough, since they felt a little bland to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:59 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I mixed up my second recipe from the book- the Jalapeno Cheddar Burgers. the only change I made was that I made my own fermented cashew cheese in place of the cream cheese (really easy, used the recipe here.) I formed them into 6 patties then put them in the freezer so I haven't tried them yet, but I will say that they're very sturdy, so I want to try grilling them. I'll report back once I try them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:45 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

well I took a look through the book and noticed there was a lot of TVP. Although the recipes sound amazing, especially the bacon cheesburger one, I can't eat TVP :( Does anyone have a suggestion for a good substitute...sorry if I seem like a noob and thank you for suggestions ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:05 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the All American Burgers. They were okay but I thought the 1T ground mustard was too much, and I love my mustard. I'd make them again without the mustard, and just stick some wet mustard on the burger along with tomato sauce (ketchup).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:57 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Dalek wrote:
well I took a look through the book and noticed there was a lot of TVP. Although the recipes sound amazing, especially the bacon cheesburger one, I can't eat TVP :( Does anyone have a suggestion for a good substitute...sorry if I seem like a noob and thank you for suggestions ;)

I've used cooked bulgur in place of TVP for the bacon cheeseburger recipe, and it worked out well. I'd also like to point out that the majority of burger recipes in the book (67 out of 101) do not call for TVP, but for some reason this seems to be a common misconception.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:19 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've just made the bacon cheeseburgers and my wordy they're 'meaty'. I'm sure I could feed these to my omni relatives in a bun with onions, mustard and tomato sauce/ketchup and they wouldn't know it wasn't meat. Unless they see me eating it too I guess. I'd definitely make these again.

I reduced the maple syrup to 1Tbs and left out the liquid smoke (the bacon bits with the liquid smoke were enough for me).

My question now is can I use something else in place of the VWG? I want to avoid using it if I can (I get stomach aches, my strike rate for gutache-after-VWG is currently at 100%).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

TurningVioletViolet wrote:
My question now is can I use something else in place of the VWG? I want to avoid using it if I can (I get stomach aches, my strike rate for gutache-after-VWG is currently at 100%).

That would be a pretty big replacement, since that's probably what makes them stick together and gives them a meaty texture. If that stuff's hurting your stomach regularly, you might be a little gluten intolerant though?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:25 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Quarantined wrote:
ack, the Really Meaty Burgers did not hold together at all. I had to serve them in pita bread they were so crumbly. I might have had a little too much water in the mix, but it seemed like the recipe is lacking an essential binding agent.

I had the same problem when I tried to make these last night, sadly. I just about managed to cobble together two of them in the pan moreorless and the rest of the mixture I ended up pouring into a ziplock and shoving in the fridge as I got too frustrated. I'm gonna try again with the refrigerated bits tonight, but yeah... maybe I'll use it all to make a tribute to the 'Lanford Lunch Box' instead...

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:57 pm 
Mediocre Tart

So refrigerating it made it worse. Now I have a bowl of dry cooked crumbly mince stuff. I'll still smoosh it in a bap for lunch tomorrow as I've nowt else... but I'm sad for it!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:48 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

yeah those burgers were super crumbly, I think the mince would be good mixed with tomato sauce on buns as sloppy joes or in pasta sauce or something though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've been trying to make my breakfasts more protein-oriented and less carb heavy, so I made the Denver Omelet Burgers this morning and they were really great and filling, even just on their own without a bun or condiments. I added a half teaspoon of black salt.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:24 am 
Nailed to the V

I'm making bagel buns again. My roommate is in love with them.

I made the Fire Roasted Burgers but they were like the driest thing on the face of this planet. I don't know what went wrong there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next