| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: tired of all the racist shiitake
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:21 am 
WRETCHED

leonardo wrote:

There is a humorous moment on a early South Park episode that points this out this odd double standard. Characters played by Cheech and Chong are believed to be "Native American" by most of the townsfolk, so the primarily white town ends up accepting and taking a great deal of silly advice from them. Eventually the characters tell everyone they are mexican, to which the townsfolk react with a great deal of horror.

Mexicans are generally a very mixed people, and much of that is from the native people of the Americas, whether its Maya or Hopi. It's why I have always hated the term "invaders" that people use to describe immigrants, it really digs into my skin more than any other term.

Oh I know they are mixed but the extent varies but there are also many that live in Mexico that may have never mixed with the Spaniards or other Europeans. My mother has an unusual last name and I looked it up, it seems to be Italian but no one could tell me how the ancestry that led to that.

And I know our past in the US may have not led to a lot if mixing with the native Americans but I also don't assume. I was raised by my mother but my father, who was your average white guy had a grandmother who was from an Iroquois tribe and lived on a reservation.

The SP episode doesn't surprise me because my mom had the same issue when my father was in the military and they lived in Georgia. It was easier for her to say she was a native American vs Mexican.

And I agree with lycophyte that people can use the word illegal or illegal alien or illegal immigrant in a racist way. Living where I live now, I'm somewhat removed from some of the racist tension in the SW US. It does sadden me. I know economic times are tough but blaming hard workers who are often exploited isn't the answer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:49 am 
WRETCHED

8ball wrote:
A couple of years back a documentary covered the influx of Polish workers into the UK. They followed some men who were working 10 hours a day picking vegetables (transport to and from work, food and water while they working, an OK hourly wage) and then the crew approached some 20-something English men at the benefits office to tell them about the jobs available alongside the Polish workers. The response was "I'd rather stay on benefits." The BNP and similar groups promote the concept of 'protecting British jobs for British people', but then won't 'lower themselves' (or get the necessary education) to doing the jobs that workers from other countries fulfill.

This doesn't surprise me as I see the same thing in the US. My stepfather has told me that his job prior to joining the military was picking fruits and nuts in the orchards. He did that all through high school. I don't see the average high school student or even average worker working in the fields, so I do wonder what jobs they think immigrants are taking? Usually low level jobs. Although like the UK, we do have many foreign born doctors but from what I understand, the hoops to getting licensed in the US are pretty great if you didn't go to school here so I assume most of them actually trained here (in addition to whatever training they had in their previous countries). I actually prefer foreign-born doctors myself most of the time because I think they offer a different perspective.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:17 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

8ball wrote:

A couple of years back a documentary covered the influx of Polish workers into the UK. They followed some men who were working 10 hours a day picking vegetables (transport to and from work, food and water while they working, an OK hourly wage) and then the crew approached some 20-something English men at the benefits office to tell them about the jobs available alongside the Polish workers. The response was "I'd rather stay on benefits." The BNP and similar groups promote the concept of 'protecting British jobs for British people', but then won't 'lower themselves' (or get the necessary education) to doing the jobs that workers from other countries fulfill.

When Georgia passed a super tough anti-illegal immigrant rule similar to the rule in Arizona, to offer jobs to out of work Georgians (in theory), they actually couldn't find more than a few people who would do it, and the few who did didn't do it for long. Then they were worried about the vidalia onions not getting harvested and the peaches getting picked...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:14 pm 
Grandfathered In

If this is real, then Robert Downey, Jr. is racist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:51 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

That's not a real account.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:51 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

FootFace wrote:
If this is real, then Robert Downey, Jr. is racist

It's a parody account The tweet is a bit down the page posted on August 1.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:03 pm 
Grandfathered In

I stand at least partially corrected.