| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Happy family stuff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:40 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I wanted to have a place to post happy stuff about my hubby as a dad. I think he is awesome. In the morning he puts Carlos in the carrier and walks the dogs with him. Carlos hugs him while he is in the carrier. It is so cute. He is also looking forward to doing lots of fun stuff with him as he gets older, camping, hiking, whatever. He is just really happy to be a dad, even when our bebecito is driving him nuts. He is basically a stay at home dad now for 1 more week and then he is off to Spain for 2.5 weeks. I am going to miss him. When he comes back, Carlos will be in daycare. I'm glad for him that he will have some time for himself after that.

Post subject: Re: Happy family stuff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Good thread, Kimba! Carlos is lucky to have such an awesome dad.

My husband is amazing with our kids too, they're all playing legos right now <3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:53 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yay for this thread!

My husband reads to Reno every night before bed and pretty much takes care of her whole bed time routine. I think it's their favorite part of the day together. Their favorite thing to read are comics. Its so flipping adorable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

We went through some tough times after our first child was born so it's extra great to see how fun and mellow things are today, even with a 3.5 year old and an 11 month old. My husband works his patootie off swinging a hammer all day, but when he rolls in the driveway, the kids are chirping with excitement to see him and he gives them both a sweaty sawdusty hug and kiss. He has our son help him unload tools (usually that means riding on the cart with the tools, or standing in the back of the truck swinging a bungee cord). When I peek in on all of them playing together, he can be seen at the bottom of a kid dogpile, helping the big boy build Lego towers with the little one under his arm, or making them both laugh by dancing with the dog. Last night I was up late working and baby girl was having a hard night teething - he brought her in to our room and helped her pet the cat which made her so happy and settled her down while the Advil kicked in. We aren't perfect and we have crabby days but I seriously feel so lucky to have a kind, gentle partner and father for my kids.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

JENNA wrote:
Yay for this thread!

My husband reads to Reno every night before bed and pretty much takes care of her whole bed time routine. I think it's their favorite part of the day together. Their favorite thing to read are comics. Its so flipping adorable.

That reminds me, my husband would swaddle Carlos before bed (which we basically had to do for 5 months!!!) and then I would get ready to breastfeed him and my husband would kind of make him dance in the swaddle and say to me in a funny voice "I now present to you... Mr. Snuggles! Waahahaha!"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:13 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

haha oh yes we could not live without my partner being the SwaddleMaster! I'm lost at work when it comes to getting Sierra to sleep outside the sling because the only way she'll sleep any long period time is very tightly swaddled, and I've never gotten the hang of it. H learned how to do it from Happiest Baby on the Block and it freaks me out the way he pins her arms, but goddamn it works!!

He and Dahlia have a very special relationship since he's been home alone with her since she was 5 weeks old! there's a lot of play and silliness but something he's also amazing about is routine! I'm more of a scattered person, but he's always had an awesome routine for her down pat - she still naps at the exact same time every day since she was like 6 months old! and every morning they walk me to the subway and then head to the park, then home for tofu scramble and more play...it's amazing to a lot of strangers because he's a somewhat intimidating-looking person and she's just soo girly/angelic looking and there she goes, walking down the street proudly holding Papa's hand. When I see them walking towards me sometimes I think my heart will explode.

Before we got together 7.5 years ago he was pretty sure he never wanted kids but obviously something changed along the way. It's definitely difficult because he experiences burnout sometimes and is hurt by D always wanting Mama if I'm around, but he doesn't regret the last few years at all. The future is very scary for us, and most of all for him because he doesn't know if he'll be able to find work once he starts looking in earnest but we are soooo glad he's had this time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:10 pm 
Semen Strong

My awesome husband brought us vegan pizza from Pizza Fusion along with vegan brownies! It had been a really long day with someone fighting her naps. And now he is playing with her while I try and defrazzle.

JENNA wrote:

I still think the capoeira video of Peter and Reno is the cutest thing ever. I watched it like 6 times in succession and squee'd every time. They are unbelievably cute together.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:14 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My amazing husband is putting Lucy to bed while I snuggle with the (sleeping) baby. He does so much for us that I think I might crack next week when he leaves for Italy on Tuesday and I have to manage work, both kids, and three dogs by myself the rest of the week....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:20 am 
Chip Strong

My partner is also a swaddlemaster! She always escapes when I do it. Here is the famous DaddySwaddle:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:22 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that is some skills!!!! i love the bees on the blankie. that is one snuggly looking baby!

i love this thread. i dont have any kids yet but i think it's important to give credit where it's due! :-D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:53 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

mooo wrote:
My partner is also a swaddlemaster! She always escapes when I do it. Here is the famous DaddySwaddle:

hahah LOVE. Burrito babies!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Awww! Burrito <3

My husband's newborn superpower was getting them to burp. I swear he'd barely pay their back and instant burp/happy baby.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:30 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My husband is mountain biking while I am in Michigan, so I haven't even talked to him in days!

I am staying with my parents and oh my goodness, what a treat! I get so much help with Grey! Tonight they are watching him so I can go out and have a grown up meal with a friend, second time this week! Grey is having so much fun here, they have a dog that is so good with him, grey throws the ball for him and they play together so much. My parents also got him a little pool that he loves and they took us on their boat. It's been. Awesome having family around!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Sounds like fun, littlebear! I bet Grey and your parents are enjoying it as much you are <3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:57 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I am watching my husband hang diapers while I am nursing Carlos. He has been so sweet with the diapers. I would never have the patience to hang them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:50 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

My partner has been on several deployments since Lorelei has been born. He has been on a "forward deployed" ship since we got to Japan 2 years ago and it has been a struggle for him to figure out what to do with Lorelei and for me when he is home. It always feels like we are getting to know each other again. He just got back about a week and a half ago and Lorelei had no problem warming up to him. He does everything he can for me and never complains.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:16 pm 
Semen Strong

Awwwwww! They are just so cute together!

So happy you're doing well DS, and that you have your partner around to snuggle and help again!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:30 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Thank you. He is gone again already :( And the week and a half he was here I only had a few days with him. They are doing INSURV which is a major ship inspection in the Navy. It's the only reason they pulled into port. He'll be back soon though for a couple more weeks and then he's back out again. We leave here in October though... I can't wait to leave. Not because of Japan, but because of the deployments.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:42 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I've been visiting my in-laws with the boys for about 2.5 weeks now. It's been really great, my in-laws are wonderful people and it's just really sweet to watch them interact with the kids.

My father-in-law has been letting the Emperor "help" him do woodworking and gardening every day... They just wander off and I see them out the window standing on ladders or wearing ear protectors and heading towards the shop etc together. Both parents have been reading to him pretty much non-stop. Oh, and they also stuff him full of healthy food at every turn.

They are so good and so patient with him. (Maybe I should leave him here?! Ha ha ha ha.)

My husband will be here on Monday, and damn do I miss him. And not just because he usually gets up with E at 6:30 am while M and I sleep in til 8.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My mom just watched grey for an hour and a half while I took a nap. Alone. I might not go back to California if I can continue having this life. Damn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:15 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My mom is coming into town tonight to stay for 2 and 1/2 weeks. This is great because it will be a big help to me, but also sad because that means my husband is leaving on his trip to Spain. He drives tomorrow to Arizona and his flight is the next day. But he will be playing the viola in Spain with an orchestra and it is a very exciting trip for him and his third time with this group. I am going to miss him and I know he will miss me and our Carlitos. Carlos is doing so much right now and he was doing little baby pushups, lifting his middle off the ground that it seems like so soon he will be crawling. And Daddy is going to be so sad to miss that. Maybe he won't start just yet, it's just you never know with babies. One day they can't do something and the next they can't stop doing something. Like rolling over. Once he started, that was it, he just loves to roll. We had to transfer him to the crib and thank goodness he wears a sleep sack cause otherwise his legs get stuck in the bars. We need one of those mesh side things for the crib.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:44 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I just spent a week with my folks and I'm sad to have to leave them again. They love playing with babynut so much! Also it was obvious they had done ALOT of baby prepping home improvement projects (like new carpets, toys, and a swing) that were much appreciated. It's nice to feel the love. But also good to be home.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:26 pm 
Semen Strong

My lovely husband took Leela ALL DAY today. I'm sick, so I'm just sneezing, reading the New Yorker and on the internet. He brings her in to BF, but that is it. Sucks to be sick, but man its been nice relaxing without having to entertain and care for a wee bebe.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:09 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We have a nice family nighttime routine now where my husband and I get the wee man up around 8:30 and he breastfeeds. Then around 9 we all sit on the couch and "Daddy" reads to us (currently charlie and the chocolate factory). Baby then has his bath which we both help with, and a four hand baby massage afterwards followed by Dad giving baby a bottle of expressed breast milk (that way I KNOW he gets a good amount before bed). He usually starts to nod off while on his last ounce and he gets swaddled and sent to bed by 10:15. Then mom and dad get some alone time! As a huge plus Giles sleeps until 4 am and so I am feeling pretty well rested these days...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:52 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

mr. bird took tzipi on an hour long bike ride this evening. i got to do the dishes and clean the kitchen, but still.... he's been working tons lately so it's good for them to spend more time together. and i needed a toddler break.