| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My family just got a pup they don't really want to care for
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:53 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Sigh...

Okay, so my family decided to buy a little teacup chihuahua puppy about a month ago. Her name is Roxie and she's almost 4 months old. She's super sweet, and every time I visit my family, she follows me around and licks me every chance she gets.

A little dog background for our family: Growing up, my family had two dogs, but they were both adult dogs that were already trained when we got them - so my family has no idea how to train dogs. After my grandparents' dog had to be put to sleep, we gave our dogs to our grandparents so we didn't even have them for that long.

My dad was fine with getting Roxie because he doesn't "have to" take care of her. My stepmom is the one that really wanted the dog, but hates having to clean up puppy poop. My littlest sister (6 years old) is really happy to have her, but is too rough with her and thinks Roxie is full grown already, even though I remind her that Roxie is still technically a baby. My 17 year old sister yells at poor little Roxie for no reason (things like, "What are YOU looking at?!").

They all yell at her whenever she poops in the house, but they don't think she needs to get trained because she's "cute" and "little". And because she's not house trained, they mostly keep her outside and put her in a box with blankets for her to sleep at night. Summer nights where they live are warm, so this might be okay for now, but what happens when the weather cools down?

My stepmom already asked if I want to keep Roxie, and I do because she tends to cling to me when I visit, but my two biggest problems are that my boyfriend is allergic to dogs (and doesn't really like them, either), and my lease agreement says I can only have cats - but absolutely no dogs. :(

What do I do? Even though my lease agreement says no dogs, I've already started cleaning up my house a bit to make room for little Roxie, and I'm reading up on how to train puppies, but I'm not even sure I can keep her. I know my boyfriend won't be happy to have a dog forced into our house...

Post subject: Re: My family just got a pup they don't really want to care
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:32 pm 

Oh, I should also add that I offered to help them train her so they could keep her - but my family's not really interested in learning how to train Roxie or paying for someone to train her.

Here's a couple pics of Roxie... Sorry for the bad cell pics:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:38 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I'd suggest maybe taking her in your apartment now, but keep it in your head as maybe a 'dog sitting' thing, that way if your landlords get upset you can say 'sorry, because it was just for such a short time I didn't think about it!' and hope it's okay. Then you can maybe either be on the look out for a friend who wants her, or for a new apartment.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

If your family is willing to give her up, you could find a new home for her. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to find someone who wants to adopt a chihuahua puppy. Just make sure to screen people carefully.

Has your family taken her to the vet at all? Looking at that second picture, I'd say she looks underweight. She could have internal parasites. You may want to get her checked out before you bring her into your apartment.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:09 pm 

Thanks Mars! That's a good idea to call it "dog sitting"... If I do end up taking her in, I'm hoping it'll be okay anyway since Roxie is so small.

raspberrycomplaint, my family's taken Roxie to the vet once before they took her home to make sure she was healthy, and last week because I bugged them that they should take her because it's been a month since they got her - and I said I'd pay for it. Both times the vet said she's doing okay weight-wise. She's a "teacup" whose parents were both about 4 pounds each, so the vet said she's probably not going to get heavier than 4 pounds. That makes me nervous when my 6 year old sister carries Roxie.

I've asked a few people at my work who I know love dogs if they'd be interested in adopting her, but no prospects as of yet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:54 pm 

I would strongly suggest clearing it with your landlord and boyfriend before bringing the dog home even if you think it's only temporary. You don't want to be put in the position of having to rehome her in a hurry or risk losing your apartment or boyfriend!

It's so good of you to be getting involved. Too many people think little dogs don't need the same training and care as the bigger ones!s If you can't keep her, a chihuahua rescue might be able to help you find some pre-screened potential adoptors.

In the meantime, any bit of training/socialization you can give her will go a long way - it's so much easier when they are puppies!

Good luck - she is so adorable!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:07 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I mean yeah, on what Petunia's saying, I didn't mean it may not have any repercussions, you very well might loose a deposit, that kind of thing for sure. But I think the alternative of leaving her where she is, is worse.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

as sad as it is i would suggest rehoming her to a new family that can keep her.
id be careful bringing your dog into your apartment if they dont allow dogs and your bf doesnt like and is allergic to dogs. that seems like a major fight just waiting to happen!!!
when we owned a condo there was a strict no dog policy. our inlaws came to visit and they have two small pomeranians.
they didnt even stay in our condo even though we had plenty of space for them because of hte dogs. they went and stayed at a hotel instead but during the day they were obviously over at our place and the condo complex was right on a walking trail so we were walking through the parking lot to the trail with the dogs.
someone ratted us out and we got fined.
i wrote them a nasty letter cause i was super pissed off about it and we didnt have to pay it but still........

whatever you do good luck! i hope it works out for the little cutie pie. if you bring her into your apartment just tell your landlord it's a cat!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:03 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Rather than rehoming her yourself, I would recommend working with a local animal rescue organization you trust. They will likely have better resources for finding and screening potential adopters.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:19 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I would start seeking another home for the dog while training your family on how to train the dog since this might take a little time. I'd focus on your stepmom and littlest sister. Start work with the 6 year old teaching her how to properly handle the dog and involve her in the training process. She could actually hurt the dog as it is. These dogs are delicate and frequently end up with broken bones as a result of rough handling. You can help the 6 year learn something and gain sense of pride as the dog learns. She will probably like the extra attention of you spending time with her.

Get your stepmom involved since she wanted the dog. If she doesn't mind the dog but hates cleaning up after it she can be involved to some degree but the six year old can also learn about potty training the dog and maybe take the dog out on a regular schedule with some teamwork from your stepmom or small dogs like this can be taught to use a litter box like a cat this might be a serious consideration that will keep the dog indoors. Make a little clean up kit with supplies that
s easy to grab when an accident happens.

A dog like this should not be left outside alone. Our neighbors had to buy a special enclosure just to let their dog out because a hawk just sits around in nearby trees waiting for a chance to make dinner out of it. We live in the suburbs so this can happen in most places.

http://www.positivedogtraining.org/arti ... -training/

I agree the dog does look undernourished and that needs to be looked into.
To keep the dog warm and dry purchase a large crate that will allow the dog to sleep inside with a litter box containing puppy pads to further reinforce the possibility of litter box training. Think a bit about how you can motivate the 17 year old to stop yelling at the dog. I would suggest a DVD format for dog training videos to perhaps get your family to sit down and watch the proper way to treat and train the dog.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:27 pm 

If you go on Youtube there are many videos about litter box training a dog. They have special litter boxes for dogs also but for such a small dog a cat litter box should suffice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:49 pm 

http://youtu.be/lGlFbqXpO24

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:36 pm 

I actually live in a rented house; my landlord lives in the next town over. She rarely comes around and always gives notice when she does, but there is always a chance she'd find out. And you're right about an inevitable fight with the boyfriend over the puppy... I'm not looking forward to that, so in hopes of keeping him just under the edge of anger, I've sort of partitioned off a part of the house already to take the puppy in. I'm hoping that if I keep Roxie in that area it will help keep allergen levels down for my boyfriend, and he won't have to worry about a dog taking over the entire house.

I've also stocked up on puppy food and I've got a bed for her ready to go... I just have to get a crate, and I'll be ready to bring her back to my place.

Thanks for the links Sophiagrt! I've been trying to teach my 6 year old sister to be gentle, but it's hard when everyone else around her thinks of Roxie as a living plushie toy. I've never heard of litter boxes for puppies, but it sounds like a really great idea.

I also never even thought about flying bird predators! :( Another reason why I have to bring Roxie home ASAP, even if my house is just a temporary place for her. I've already looked up the closest dog rescue to me, and I'll be calling them once I get confirmation that Roxie's leaving my family and I find out that I really just can't keep her - which is very likely, unfortunately. I'm already expecting that I won't be able to keep her for more than two weeks... Luckily, one of my friends got back to me last night and agreed to temporarily foster Roxie if I really can't have her around my house.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:26 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i wonder if her teeny size and her short coat will help cut down on his allergies???

i was thinking you lived in an apartment building and it would be super hard to hide a dog but sounds like you have a better situation.

good luck with her!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:46 am 

So, happy news! I bought a crate, a baby gates-enclosure pen, and some safe puppy toys on the way to pick Roxie up to take her to my house...

When I got there, I found out Roxie no longer sleeps outside. She has a puppy box that's lined with newspaper for her to go potty close to the bed they set up on the edge of the living room. She's got TWO food and water spots - one near her bed and one in the kitchen.

My 17 year old sister is the one that actually suggested Roxie sleep inside now. She also decided Roxie will like dressing up so she bought some small dog clothes that are just a tiny bit big, but Roxie doesn't mind the attention at all. My 6 year old sister ASKED how to train Roxie, and the whole time I was there, only picked Roxie up once to put her on her lap (I told her not to pick her up anymore, and just ask Roxie to sit on her lap instead).

I asked why the sudden changes, and it was actually because they went to visit my stepmom's older sister about 2 days ago. She has small dogs, and they're well behaved and mostly indoor dogs with the exception of taking walks. My stepmom, I guess, felt it was necessary to have a well behaved indoor dog, too, and obliged when my sisters wanted Roxie to move inside.

I put Roxie's bed and food and water bowls inside the crate I bought and set up the baby gates for Roxie in her "room" and she seems to be content with it. She seems to like the crate, and doesn't mind if I close the door, either. Also, it seems she actually likes using her potty box to go with only a couple of pee accidents; no poop.

My 6 year old sister and I started treat-less training Roxie. She caught on to sitting and staying after 10 minutes, but obviously needs practice everyday. After my 6 y/o sis got tired of it, I taught my 17 year old sis to do it. She seemed pretty impressed at how fast Roxie caught on. I told her to do a different command each time and practice at least twice a day for 5 minutes each session - and that it was okay to give Roxie a treat after you were done with the whole training session. My stepmom doesn't seem to be that interested in the training process, but doesn't mind that my sisters want to do it.

I left Roxie there, because it actually looks like they're making an effort now. I'm glad they visited my stepmom's sister to get them motivated. I'm still going to keep a close eye on them, and make sure they're caring for Roxie properly, but for now at least I don't have to bring Roxie to my place and worry about bringing any problems home.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:14 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Yay! I'm glad it is working out. Keep us posted.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:38 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

i'm so glad things turned around!! fingers crossed for you and roxie.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:36 pm 

So... Roxie update:

I adopted her about 3 weeks ago.

I got really mad at my dad after a bike fell on Roxie and my family didn't take her to the vet after she was limping for two days. Luckily my 17 year old sister told me about it because she was SUPER worried!

When I went to take her to my house, I was still contemplating taking Roxie to a local rescue, and my dad kept saying to "put her on Craigslist" so I could get "$50"! AH. I'm glad I took Roxie, because my stepmom told me later that my dad was going to list Roxie on Craigslist anyway. :(

I took Roxie to the vet to get x-rays of her leg and they said she was totally fine, just bruised.

I decided not to take Roxie to the local rescue, and to keep her. AND!!! the best news is my boyfriend is only mildly allergic! And he fell in love with Roxie! If Roxie licks his face too much, he'll get itchy, but her dander isn't super bothersome with him only getting slightly congested if the windows have been closed too long. I think it helps that she's so tiny and has short hair.

She's having fun in my house and loves taking walks in the neighborhood. She's a great indoor dog now, and I just enrolled in a training class that starts in November for Roxie - mostly just for me and my boyfriend, so we're both consistent.

My 17 year old sister is sad and misses Roxie because she would occasionally sleep in my sister's room. She was really happy that I decided to keep Roxie, though. I told her she can babysit Roxie when I go out of town since I know she does a pretty good job taking care of her. My 6 year old sister was also sad when I told her I was taking Roxie, but she kept saying over and over that she really just wants Roxie to get better and she hopes Roxie can visit. <3

My stepmom is happy I didn't take Roxie to the animal shelter or rescue so Roxie could still visit them - but she's also relieved that she doesn't have to clean up after the dog now.

As for my lease situation - I haven't said anything yet because I was waiting until my rent is due in a few days... but I'm going to tell my landlord the situation. I'm going to offer adding to the security deposit because I'm serious about keeping Roxie. She's such a sweet dog, and I think she deserves to be able to visit my family because I know she loves them (even if my dad's a jerk).

PLEASE WISH US GOOD LUCK! I really don't want to move, but I might just have to if my landlord really doesn't want dogs...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:14 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

So happy for a happy ending!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:21 pm 
Semen Strong

Yay! She is so lucky to have you and your BF. Hurrah for a happy ending!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:35 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yay! im glad you took her home and im so glad your bf is only a lil allergic and he has fallen in love with her.
i hope your landlord relents, sounds like you are planning on dealing with it in a really good way!
good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:07 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

so happy to hear this!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:16 am 
WELFARIST!

Yippee!!! Hope it all works out with the landlord and stuff. Yay, Roxie!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Good luck! I hope your landlord lets you stay!