| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: BLW and Playing with Foods
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:20 pm 
Inflexitarian

Butternut wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
This thread inspired me to give L some peanut butter. She LOVED it. Yay! Its been 90mins and no reaction!

That's a relief! We did some on apple slices yesterday and she loved it too. She kept eating all of it off the apple, and then I would reload the apple and hand back to her. Repeat. The apple slice slowly getting smaller all the while. It's so fun to feed her!

This sounds super yummy and adorable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:09 pm 
Saggy Butt

mittenmacher wrote:
mandycoot wrote:

We have quite a few Celiacs in our family, and while I know that's a different ball game from allergies (which I'm also freaked out about), it's still so hard to find any sort of consensus on when to introduce gluten when there's a family history. I talked to an RD who basically said nobody has any real idea how to best minimize risk -- some people say before 6 months, some say after 1 year, some after 3 years -- and the best you can do is have a pediatrician who is informed about the symptoms of Celiac and watch for any sort of reaction. Ugh.

Mandycoot, celiac is hereditary, so if he has it, he has it, and if he doesn't, giving him gluten early is not going to cause it. Our pediatrician told me the blood test isn't accurate until 2. I have celiac and I waited until a year to introduce gluten into Walter's diet, but only because I didn't feel equipped to deal with a sick baby until then (on the off chance he had celiac too). So far so good, but I will have him tested at 2.

Ooooh, so is that why they tell you to wait? Just so your baby won't be as young if they do get sick, or maybe it'll be easier to see symptoms in an older baby? Honestly, it's a big relief to know that nothing I can do will stop it from developing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:45 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The mom we donate milk to gave us some homemade purees for the Magician and I can now say beyond a shadow of a doubt, purée feeding is messier than BLW.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:28 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Okay, we're finally going for it! I started with some banana this morning, but it was super slimy. He managed to get a few pieces mushed around his face, so at least he has that going. Tonight we're going to try avocado. Should I cut it with the peel on so it's a little easier to hold? Or mash it so he can dig in? I'm pretty excited

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:15 am 
Married to the wolfman

For avocado, I think cutting it into a long slice works well... Unless its super ripe in which case they just squash the slice into goo instantly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:21 am 
Not NOT A Furry

This might be a totally ridiculous question, but do babies need teeth for this?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:54 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

bap wrote:
This might be a totally ridiculous question, but do babies need teeth for this?

Nope! From my understanding, they're learning how to chew and then swallow. Where as with spoon-feeding, they learn to swallow and then chew. Gums work just as well for chewing, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Ah, thanks! Good thing, because H has got zero teeth.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

If they have teeth, cutting avocado with the peel on makes it easier to hold and then they can scrape off chunks. Without teeth, small pieces of still firm avocado seem to work best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:21 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I like to leave a little skin on to help her hold the avocado. Also, it works well to mash it up with a fork and use something to dip it in. She eats bread now, and it is a great dipper. Long spears of celery and carrots also work well. She doesn't eat the veggies really, but I just keep adding avocado (or hummus, etc.) and she eats it off the hard veggies that she can hold onto. We started with no teeth and now she has two. Worked both with and without. Those gums are powerful!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:41 pm 

We do the avocado w/o skin but if it's really ripe, it is difficult..sometimes then we mash it up and eat with hands or a spoon, similar to what Butternut described (baby guacamole, we say).

Today, in my email, I got one of those "your baby at...." things from some baby site. The topic this week was "introducing lumpy foods" now that she's about to turn 8 months. Ha! My not-quite-eight-month old found her appetite again at last after two days of poopiness and nibbled on granola at breakfast, then wolfed down tofu dogs, bread, and unseemly amounts of blueberries for lunch. After a late afternoon trip to the playground, devoured a pear, eating around the edges all on her own, then had some avocado and more blueberries for dinner. Not the most balanced day, but was glad to get lots in her!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:00 pm 

I have a question about BLW and poop. My baby is pooping so much the past few days. Like every two hours or so. Spoiler due to disgusting details.
Spoiler: show
A lot of poop. Not runny, or anything like she is sick, but mostly formed turds and sometimes with chunks of food.

Doesn't that seem like too much poop? I'm not worried enough to call the doctor, more curious about other outputs of BLW babies.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:59 am 

F's not going 10x a day, buy sometimes maybe 5 -7. Definitely more than before solids. Always well formed. When i worked in childcare, we sometimes talked about the poop having the appearance of a,bunch of grapes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:44 am 
Inflexitarian

The more solid food guineapiglet eats the less she poops. That's basically how I know how much she's eating when she's at school during the day. If she doesn't poop for the entire day then she's eaten a lot, if she poops every day then she hasn't eaten that much. But it's so individual from kid to kid.

But pooping every other hour does seem like a lot. Is the poop loose or solid? If you have loose stools at that frequency for 3 days then I would call the doctor. Also, how are the wet diapers?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:27 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka pooped 1x/day before solids and the same amount now. L's poops sound like a lot - I would ask the doctor (although if she's in a good mood, it's probably not an issue).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:38 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, we are in the one poo a day camp as well. We definitely still have undigested food in them though.

Our pediatrician fields tons of "so is this normal?" calls - so I'd definitely just call her and ask, if it were me....

I hope BBnut is doing well and feeling fine and that we get to see her on Sunday. Seriously, she is such a perfect, beautiful baby!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I finally did it... food! Here is Will after "finger painting" with avocado:
We've only tried banana, avocado and quinoa so far. He hasn't been a huge fan of any of it, but he's a big thumb-sucker so something usually ends up in his mouth. We'll keep trying, and you were all right... it's much less daunting once there is actually food in front of him!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh, I should add we've had some gagging with the bananas. I'm glad I read the book, because we just kept watching him and eventually a chunck of banana just popped right back out of his mouth! If I didn't know better, I might have panicked that he was chocking.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:48 pm 
Semen Strong

He is gorgeous! And he looks quite at home with his guac!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:12 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Oh my gosh kdub... Will is such a cutie. Yay avocado!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:26 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka ate so so much today! It was so weird! She had blueberries, o's, tomato, pretzels, veggie burger, zuchini, broccoli, potatoes, more tomato, a little toast, whoa! It wasn't the most well rounded day because we were out for most of it, but still!

Also, she is the most vegan baby ever. Given the choice between cold soft tofu and boca nuggets last night, she went for the tofu over and over again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:36 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, what is that about? Leela acts like she is STARVING! We have to keep throwing food into her bottomless pit to sooth the tummy demons (Leelzebub).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:15 pm 
Inflexitarian

Guineapiglet still isn't a big eater. She wasn't feel well last week so she refused to eat anything the entire week. We knew she was back to her old self when she greedly gobbled down a quinoa/millet patty that she loves and wouldn't touch in the beginning of the week. But our definition of gobble down is more like ate a 1 inch piece of it which is a lot for us.

She also gagged for the first time and, of course, it would be in front of her grandparents who are uber skeptical about BLW. But every time she gagged I just calmly walked over to her and sat by her side until she expertly pushed it back up. Half the time she didn't even bother spitting the offending piece out, just chewed it and swallowed it down. So i'm glad to see that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:18 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Emperor has continued his reign of food-consuming terror here over the past few days. He literally ate more than I did right up til dinner, when I finally caught up.

Among other things, he seriously ate over a pint worth of blackberries as we picked them today. Then as soon as we got back to the house he was like "okay, what's for snack?"

I've weighed him a couple times since we got here out of curiosity and he's hanging tough at the same weight. Crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:47 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So I gave Will PB this morning (in a pancake recipe). then he had a bath, nursed, and now he's down for a nap. If he were going to have a reaction, I would probably know by now... right? I can't help but check on him every 5 minutes!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next