| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 99  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:02 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

bodhi wrote:
apparently a good activity for babies this age is to set them on a nice soft blanket next to a wall where there is a mirror they can see into.

Good idea! I bet she'd like that and luckily we have a mirror in the one air conditioned room where we spend all our time.

bodhi wrote:
if it weren't so hot, I'd think that wearing baby while doing regular stuff (laundry, starting dinner - ie getting out ingredients, etc, not cooking with heat!) would be good so baby is close but can watch a little bit or just rest.

This was totally my plan before she was born and I realized that even the coolest carrier is really, really hot when it's 90 degrees with 100% humidity. I do wear her while I do laundry and stuff, but it's kind of hellish and I seriously worry that she's going to get heat stroke!

And coldandsleepy, I'm definitely trying to take advantage of it being so easy to hang out with her in a coffee shop. My partner happens to work at one so our main activity every day is to walk over there and have him make me a decaf iced soy mocha. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:00 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I was wondering what to do with Giles too...I feel kind of bad when he is awake letting him stare at the plain brown couch cushion (although he seems to find it fascinating). We did try the mirror thing and he really liked it! I have been trying to keep him a little more awake in the day so he sleeps better at night but it just seems to make him cranky in the day AND at night so I might just give in and go with the flow...
By the way Mooo - your mother-in-law sounds exactly like MY mother - is her name Karen ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:51 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Heh. One of the Magician's favorite things as a little baby was staring at this black and white couch blanket we have. It was seriously one of the first things he smiled at.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

mooo wrote:
What do you guys do with a really young baby while they're awake? It seems like Scarlett would be happy to sleep all day when she's not nursing, but I think it's time to try keeping her up a little more during the day so she sleeps more at night. We do a little tummy time, but she's doesn't like it for very long; we read her books but she tends to be more interested in staring at the ceiling; I made her a mobile that's above her changing table, and she loves staring at it while it's being blown around by a fan, so we'll strap her in and let her hang out there for a little while; we give her a bath after dinner. Otherwise, I don't really know what to do with her! I love to go for walks but the second I put her in a carrier she falls asleep. Does it make sense to try to keep her awake more? Yesterday my mother-in-law told me that all babies should sleep through the night by 8 weeks. Isn't she funny?

Sounds like you are doing plenty. Reading books, even this young, is great. My husband just reads whatever book, magazine, newspaper he is reading out loud to Will. Those awake periods seemed so few and far between. As long as you are doing *something* it's enough for now. You'll adapt as she grows and becomes more interactive!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:23 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So, here we are again. I am taking grey to the doctor, but in Michigan. I am trying to get an appointment with a friends pediatrician. Ugh. He had had diarrhea for a couple days and sleep has been awful again. Maybe another ear infection? I have no idea. I am so frustrated and I feel so bad for him. Poor guy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's the worst when they are sick :( Hope you're able to be an appointment quick and it's something easy to treat!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:47 am 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry to hear that LB. I hope you can both get some relief and can get back to happy baby vacationing very soon!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:02 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We have an appointment in a little over an hour, so good when your BFFs dad is a doctor and can get you in! I'll let you know what happens!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:41 am 
***LIES!!!***

On stuff to do with little babies:
-They really like looking at objects with big, bold patterns - best in black and white or other high contrast colors. We did a little time in the baby vibrating chair or in the swing each day to give us a rest from carrying and made sure there was something to look at that was fun when we did that. We didn't start tummy time until at least 2 months.
-They like being held pretty much all the time - Malka was in the Moby or resting on the My Brest Friend pillow almost all the time before I came back from maternity leave.
-They like hearing your voice and your heart beat. Singing, talking, humming, all good.
-You will never be able to go out with them as easily as you can now. We went out to eat, for walks, to coffee shops, to the mall, etc. the most when Malka was the littlest. The hardest part is getting in and out of the carseat and then in and out of the carrier if you have to drive. Otherwise, keep them in the carrier all the time when you're out and they'll be cool.
-There is nothing wrong with them sleeping whenever they want to sleep as long as you're getting enough rest. Before they know the difference between day and night, you're just kind of screwed on the night time sleep thing. If you have to be up with them at night, try to at least keep lights low and volumes low so maybe they'll figure out it's night time. But honestly, I spent many quality hours cleaning out my DVR nursing and rocking Malka in the early days. It was fine and she grew out of it eventually. I personally didn't make any effort to keep her awake when she didn't want to be awake. My punishment now is that she is awake all the live long day and hardly naps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:52 am 
Semen Strong

We did the same - just went with it and now she sleeps like a rockstar all night long. Babies. They're crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:11 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

He has an ear infection and there are two molars coming through. This is a kid that a month ago only had two teeth and now he has five plus those other guys coming through. He has decided that I don't need sleep again. I am dying.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:10 am 
Semen Strong

((((((((Hugs Littlebear)))))))) I feel so bad for you and Grey.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:43 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Geez, littlebear. I hope he feels better really soon so you both can get some rest. Maybe the teething will slow down a bit after this?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:57 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I could deal with the teething or the ear infection it is the combo that is killing me. And I know I don't have it bad compared to some parents, I am just really tired and that makes things so much worse. I am so happy I am in Michigan right now. Nate is traveling for work and if I were there alone I don't know what I would do!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:40 pm 
Semen Strong

We had the best get-together with JENNA, Reno and Miles and Ariann and Malka. We went to an indoor toddler playground and had So. Much. Fun. I've never even seen a toddler playground, but it was perfect for the crawl and cruising set. Leela didn't stop grinning.

And all the kids were So. Gosh. Darned. Cute. together. Plus all the snacks were vegan :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:45 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Vegan snacks flicks the weasel. I hope JENNA will post her pictures of kids in the play boat. Malka was super confused when everybody started walking away to go home, though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:07 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'll definitely post the pic once I get it off my phone. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:48 pm 
Semen Strong

After 10 years of belittling every achievement I made by telling me that it meant nothing because I didn't have kids and would only know true joy once I did, my father's first comments to me on the phone today were "so are you bored hanging out all day with that baby yet?"

Thanks Dad. Its nice that you can't even remember her name.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:18 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Oy T. My dad asks me pretty much every time he calls: so did you get a job yet? 1. Taking care of children is legitimately work dad. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have to pay people to do it for me when I work out of home and 2. Would I not tell you if the answer changed?

We learned yesterday that the Magician is not a good long distance car rider. That was hellish.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:51 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh, sorry C&S, I feel your pain. Driving long distances with a screaming baby is among my very least favorite things to do ever.

I just feel sad because it feels like I can never do anything right for my Dad. Its sad that every conversation we have makes me feel like shiitake about myself and my choices. Even though I am really happy with my life.

My stepmother also made me feel sad by saying how dark skinned Leela is. My childhood was pretty shitty because I was so dark-skinned and I heard it all the time, and it really triggered me. And even though it is stupid, it reminds me that my Dad and my stepmother are just negative people who always undermine me. And then it annoys me that they both always rabbit on about how I need to come visit. Even though no one can even remember my kid's name.

//wahwahwah//

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I am so feeling for you both.

On the flip side, I had a really amazing dad experience today. My biological father sent us a check for Malka's college fund. I didn't meet him till I was 19 and he totally abandoned me (and also made me deal with a string of shitty substitutes), but I feel like he is finally stepping up and getting a chance to parent me in a way. That check totally made me cry.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:33 pm 
Semen Strong

Awwww that is so lovely Ariann! I think its great that you've reached such a space of acceptance of who he is. I need to work on a little more gratitude I think!

Also, I spent Sunday with Sashi, Ariann, and Butternut and today afternoon with JENNA and Ariann, and it was awesome. So glad to have met so many amazing and inspiring women and their wonderful kids through the PPK!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:52 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Pyjama party time... (children's songs stuck in my head all the time)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:43 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Back to life, back to reality.....

Two long asparagus flights, train rides, taxis, tricky borrowed car seat, the highs and lows of vegan restaurants, loads of beach time, grandparents/aunts/uncles/boyfriends/old friends/new friends, baseball, two dogs, pillow forts....what a vacation it was!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:45 pm 
***LIES!!!***

refinnej wrote:
Back to life, back to reality.....

Two long asparagus flights, train rides, taxis, tricky borrowed car seat, the highs and lows of vegan restaurants, loads of beach time, grandparents/aunts/uncles/boyfriends/old friends/new friends, baseball, two dogs, pillow forts....what a vacation it was!

so exciting!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 99  Next