| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anupy Singla's Indian Slow Cooker and Vegan Indian Cooki
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Efcliz wrote:
I did my review if anyone is interested http://cookingtheveganbooks.com/2012/08 ... ok-review/

It's mostly what I've said on here with a couple of extra bits.

Thanks for this, you've sold me on it! I had a really quick flick through this at the bookstore recently and nothing jumped out at me, but I must have missed some of the things you talked about (like the tandoori tempeh). I'm going to order this after I move house soon, can't wait!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:40 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

This is my new favourite cookbook, btw. Everything has been amazing and she's even convinced me to get a slow cooker.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:59 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I just had the ripe banana curry on toast for lunch and I loved it. This will be a regular use for over ripe bananas from now on, especially for breakfast. I didn't bother peeling the tomatoes so it was super speedy too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:02 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I saw Vegan Indian Cooking yesterday at my local bookstore. It looks good, and I added it to my wish list on Amazon.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:55 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Hmm, I bought Madhu Gadia's "Indian Vegan Kitchen" a few months ago and have made diddly squat out of it so far. (I moved shortly after buying it and am only now getting settled) Does anyone have both or know how the two compare? I wonder if it's worth getting Singla's book(s) - actually the slow cooker one appeals to me more. Usually any indian food I make comes out of "Dakshin," which I love, although obviously it's South Indian, which is a totally different ballgame, but I find that when I make stuff out of it it tastes like S Indian food rather than food with curry powder in it (as a lot of less authentic Indian recipes seem to taste to me). For me just breaking down and getting all the spices for tempering made the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Dakshin is my total favorite Indian cookbook of all time ever. I love it so hard.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:18 am 

I have all 3 of those. I have had Dakshin for years and although I love it, I have made little from it. I haven't made a single thing from the Madhu Gadia one and if I wasn't a cookbook hoarder I would give it away. It feels dumbed down. I have had this one only a few weeks and have now made 10 things, with a further 2 on the menu tonight. It is just more appealing to me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:20 am 
Nailed to the V

I only have this one and just last night we had the tikka masala and the roasted caulif/broc. Both were incredible. I'm a big fan!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:29 pm 

I had the tandoori tempeh and mustard seed coconut cabbage in a wrap tonight. We enjoyed it a lot but the tempeh was a little dry, and, unusually for this book, lacking in salt. I'd use more marinade another time. Also, the recipe has things about face, because you heat the oven before letting the tempeh marinate for up to 2 hours!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:47 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

She's doing a cookbook giveaway on her facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Indian-A ... 5591042291

Ends August 12th.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:26 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Oooooh man. My brother-in-law and his lady gave me Vegan Indian for Augustmas (what happens when the family does not convene at normal Christmas!) and I am so so so so excited to cook out of it.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:05 pm 
Naked Under Apron

ooh we've been dying to make that cashew-stuffed eggplant dish because the pic looks SO good. The greenmarket has had crazy baby eggplants lately so I decided to go for it. The results were kinda mixed, because I think our eggplants weren't tiny enough so they didn't cook as much even though I let em go longer than the 20 minutes. But man the filling - which for me leaked out almost entirely and made a sauce - was sooo delicious. Frankly I want to make it again and just chop the eggplants up and cook them in that sauce, because we love mushy eggplant like in baingain bharta.

I'm taking a walk over to a great Indian grocery tomorrow to get some supplies I've written down while perusing this book so I'll undoubtedly be experimenting with deliciousness some more soon!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:58 am 

I made the keema peas with the daikon ginger chutney a few days ago and served them in hot chapati. Yummo.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been cooking from this for the last couple of nights and loving it! Last night was baked samosas, palak-methi aloo and lemon rice. All great, although the rice wasn't nearly as spicy as I'd expected from the description. Super delicious though, especially with the simpler potato dish. I made the chickpea poppers for Boyfriend to snack on during the football yesterday, which he loved, and the night before we had the chana masala with tamarind rice and street corn salad. All awesome too, although I'm finding myself instinctively cutting back on the salt. But I'm loving the excuse to actually use my ridiculous collection of spices. I think I've got my eye on that sweet potato dish (I can't remember what it's called now) with chickpea flour crepes next.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:29 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I much prefer both of Anupy's books to Madhu Gadia's "Indian Vegan Kitchen". Just put the latter into the "Donate" pile.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:38 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I just bought this cookbook and flipping through it, I've seen lots of recipes that I'd like to try. I'm hoping that one of my friends can recommend a good Indian grocery store in town so that I can get all of the different types of lentils and spices that I can't find in a normal grocery store. If not, I'll buy stuff online!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just got the slow cooker one for my birthday! I'm going to do the kidney bean curry overnight tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:30 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I am making both the green dhal and seitan tikka masala for christmas (and the rasam, and the mint chutney, and the papad appetizer thingy, and kachumber) and so far everything is turning out great, but that spinach paratha recipe is wacky. I don't get it. Flatbreads aren't my specialty, but I've added triple the amount of flour to the dough and I still can't knead it or even begin to think about rolling it out. Bummer. I guess I should have done a test run.

On the plus side the seitan tikka masala marinade is forking delicious.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We made the stuffed baby eggplant last night. The flavor was SO good and very authentic-tasting, but we'd make some changes next time. The eggplants didn't get very soft and the stuffing felt kind of gimmicky, so we'd probably just cook eggplants chunks in the super nommy sauce next time. I'd definitely agree that her recipes are at the top of comfortably spicy. We also reduced the salt quite a bit, as she listed a tablespoon for one dish.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:56 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Dang it all, I had to run out and buy this after reading this thread (you guys are serious enablers..did that with Chloe's Kitchen too). It looks great--there are a lot of recipes I want to try and the author seems really sweet. I'll probably try the Punjabi-Style Cabbage first, because, well, cabbage, potatoes, peas and lots of spices mmmmmmm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We're totally in love with this book.

I made the bhindi masala (cheated and used frozen) and the seitan tikka masala a couple nights ago. The bhindi masala was a bit wetter than it should've been, because of the frozen okra, but the flavor was spot-on. I've never had anything tikka masala, but I loved that too. It was a bit lemony. She calls for juice from a whole lemon, which I imagine can vary a lot depending on the size and juiciness of your lemon, so I'd recommend tasting. I do have to use the lower amount of chilies she calls for, and cut the cayenne by like half, and it's still really hot for me. We order hot at Indian restaurants in the U.S., just for comparison. Also reduced the salt for this meal, so that's probably just something that needs to be done throughout the whole book. Overall really awesome meal though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:36 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I really enjoy cooking from Indian Vegan Kitchen. Yes, it's a bit dumbed down, but I don't take it personally. Her recipes are flavourful and tasty.

Anyhoo, I've just ordered Vegan Indian Cooking and looking forward to getting/cooking from it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

made the panjabi beans and the indo-chinese fried rice. both really tasty and salty and hot, like everything else.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

We just had the panchratna dal and the cumin rice this week. Both excellent!

And so awesome to come in from the snow with the baby in tow and have dinner all ready in the crockpot! Win!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:34 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My husband got me the Indian Slow Cooker for Valentines Day! :) Good job, husband! Of course there might have been a tiny bit of self-interest in having delicious Indian meals....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next