| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First trimester woes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:25 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I need a safe place to vent because I have not told my friends that I am pregnant. My husband and I are waiting until after my next doctors appointment to break the news to everyone.

I am 8 weeks into my first pregnancy. Most days when I come home from work and I barely have the energy to feed the cats before I crash on the sofa and stay there before I go to bed. My appetite has mood swings. I feel like I don't eat right because I'm too nauseated. When I do get hungry I don't have the energy to cook something really nutritious so I'm concerned about my diet. My skin is a constant oil slick. I have an explosion of acne all over. My pants aren't comfortable or down right don't fit so dressing professionally for work is getting difficult. I look terrible and I feel terrible. On top of all this I feel terrible for feeling terrible. Like women used to work in the fields until their babies were ready to drop and I can't get off the couch. I feel like I'm doing this all wrong.

Thanks for listening.

Post subject: Re: First trimester woes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:40 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh congratulations biodancer! What great news!

And you're not alone in feeling tired and nauseated in the first trimester at all. The good news is it does seem to get better for a lot of people in their second trimesters! And my midwife said not to worry too much about diet in the first trimester as your little fetus is so tiny and can definitely get what it needs. You can put the healthier options in in the second trimester.

Sending lots of good thoughts!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Biodancer - i'm not a mom, but i just wanted to stop in and send you some hugs. <3

also, Tofulish is the best and she knows what she's talk'n about - it'll be alllllllll goooood. hang in there, and those hugs are coming your way!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:26 pm 

Thanks for the support and hugs. I need it. While I've been nauseous and dry heaving the past two weeks, tonight was my first official vomit. I was hoping I was getting over the worst of it but I guess there is more to come. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:57 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I hear ya, biodancer. I'm nearly 9 weeks pregnant, and I'm at home with my toddler now. It is so so hard for me to do the basic things I need to do. The first trimester really sucks....

Can you get some maternity work clothes? I found I just can't wear things tight around my waist when pregnant-- it's too uncomfortable to have anything restrictive there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:38 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I'm sure it is different for everyone, but the first trimester was definitely the worst part of my pregnancy. I was physically and mentally exhausted all the time and, while I did not actually throw up too often, I felt like I was constantly nauseated. All I ever wanted to do was lay on the couch and eat toast and watch bad TV. But it really did get better!

As for the clothes issue, my sister taught me "The Rubber Band Trick" and it seriously saved my life: just loop a rubber band around the button of your pants, through the button hole and then back around the button. This will give you some extra wiggle room and as long as you wear long shirts, no one will be the wiser. I didn't have to buy maternity clothes until I was about 18 weeks along.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:15 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

You're not doing it wrong, biodancer! I think pretty much everyone tends to eat the worst in the first trimester. I never had horrible nausea but healthy food sounded so disgusting to me and I could only get myself to eat things that sounded REALLY good, and those were things that were loaded with fat and salt. I also think everyone tends to look pretty run down in the first trimester. I had to do 12 hour shifts in the hospital as a midwifery student and I would be so tired that whenever I sat down I would fall asleep. Like... with my head on a keyboard while I was charting. One time I got really lightheaded during a birth after going a while without eating, and I was so worried about it happening again that from then on I ate constantly, which caused me to gain most of my weight in the first half of my pregnancy. I was worried I would end up gaining way too much, but it slowed down a ton and I ended up gaining a totally normal amount. So in case you're worried about weight gain, just know that everyone has a different timeline and don't feel bad if you feel like you're gaining too much or not enough early on.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:24 am 

Thanks so much everyone, this makes me feel so much better. Mooo, I've been gaining weight and was wondering if it's too soon. When I do get hungry it makes the nausea worse so eating helps a bit (it's so weird to be hungry and nauseous at the same time) but I've been wondering if it's been too much weight too soon. I read that most women gain 1-4 pounds in their first trimester and I think I past that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:52 am 
Married to the wolfman

The first trimester surely sucks. With the Emperor, I remember feeling like: wow, anyone who claims that she looooved being pregnant surely forgot this part. Ugh.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about weight gain or loss in the first trimester unless it's a large amount-- I think like 5% of your starting weight or something is normal.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:31 am 

Chosephine, I just tried the rubber band trick with my jeans and it's awesome! Thank you!!!! I won't have to keep wearing sweat pants.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:52 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I'm glad I could help!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

coldandsleepy wrote:
The first trimester surely sucks. With the Emperor, I remember feeling like: wow, anyone who claims that she looooved being pregnant surely forgot this part. Ugh.

This. I'm still trying to figure those people out. All my plans for a fabulous healthy diet and tons of exercise and such went right out the window in the first trimester. I pretty much only had the energy to sleep and go to work and the only thing I was able to keep down was bread products. Things will be better in the second trimester, so hang in there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:57 pm 

bcakes wrote:
All my plans for a fabulous healthy diet and tons of exercise and such went right out the window in the first trimester.

This. I keep saying that "tomorrow I'll go for a long walk after work" or "this weekend I'll cook a bunch of healthy meals to keep in the freezer for the week." But in reality between the exhaustion, nausea, cramping, and acid indigestion, I don't have the energy to do any of that. I keep thinking "why would any woman voluntarily do this more than once?" :)
I'm just glad other people are happy for me because right now it's hard to be happy for myself when my head in in the toilet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:45 pm 

I think that my prenatal vitamins are making my nausea much worse. I didn't put two and two together until I forgot to take them yesterday with lunch and instead took them before I went to bed. I woke up very nauseous. Great.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:49 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ha, yeah, last time I froze a ton of food during my 3rd trimester for after the baby was born. I'm glad I did that, but for the next one, I think I'm going to try to freeze a ton of food before the magic happens so that I have something to eat during my first trimester!! I was super hungry (unlike some people who can't eat anything), but sure didn't have the energy to cook..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:58 pm 
Semen Strong

I was part of a meal group and would cook, but the second it was done, it was the last thing on the planet I wanted to eat...

What helped me most was having my awesome husband make me breakfast in bed every morning. Before I got out of bed, I had toast or granola and it helped me feel a bit less queasy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:33 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Biodancer, totally possible that your vitamins are making it worse. I didn't have morning sickness for long in my second pregnancy, but the brand of prenatals I had been using (and used for my whole first pregnancy) really bothered me even when I wasn't all nausea all the time anymore. Switching to another type totally resolved it for me.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:21 pm 

I'm taking Deva brand vitamins now and was taking them when I was trying to conceive. I just purchased Rainbow Light brand and I'm hoping that they don't make me feel as sick.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:17 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Biodancer wrote:
I am 8 weeks into my first pregnancy. Most days when I come home from work and I barely have the energy to feed the cats before I crash on the sofa and stay there before I go to bed. My appetite has mood swings. I feel like I don't eat right because I'm too nauseated. When I do get hungry I don't have the energy to cook something really nutritious so I'm concerned about my diet. My skin is a constant oil slick. I have an explosion of acne all over. My pants aren't comfortable or down right don't fit so dressing professionally for work is getting difficult. I look terrible and I feel terrible. On top of all this I feel terrible for feeling terrible. Like women used to work in the fields until their babies were ready to drop and I can't get off the couch. I feel like I'm doing this all wrong.

Thanks for listening.

Oh sweetie, you're not doing anything wrong except for berating yourself for not living up to unrealistic expectations. Being pregnant is hard work! And it's all new - you're body is saying "What the hell is going on? Must sleep! Must barf! What's that goddam smell?"

Listen to your body, rest and don't sweat the food issue for now, and with luck things will get better in the second trimester.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:41 pm 

Arisaig wrote:
What's that goddam smell?"

Yes! My god I must beg my husband to take the trash out every day because I can't stand the smell when I open the lid!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Congratulations! First, what Tofulish said. I swear I ate nothing but bagels and cereal for 14 weeks, and my babies are looking healthy and big. They're so tiny that they really don't need a whole lot in the beginning. Just eat what you can, when you can.

I was so cranky I almost put a laser pointer through someone's forehead at work. Not that he wouldn't have deserved it. And the exhaustion was unbearable, but just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore, it started getting better. I still have a super sense of smell, but I don't gag as much now.

My vitamins kept making me sick, so I finally switched to a chewable and just supplement with folic acid and calcium. I never did get over the taste of the prenatal, even in a smoothie.

The rubberband trick is great, and I also got a Bella Band - http://www.diapers.com/p/ingrid-isabel- ... and-202006 , which let me wear my pants for another 6 weeks or so before I had to wear maternity clothes. Even with twins, I don't think I really started wearing maternity pants until 16-18 weeks, and that was with a really rapid initial weight gain.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Just one warning about "eat whatever you can." During my first trimester the only thing that quelled my nausea was almost constant eating of carbs. I put on 20 pounds in the first trimester, none of which I needed, and then wound up way over-gaining overall during the pregnancy. In the end it was fine healthwise - I had a textbook pregnancy with no sign of gestational diabetes or high blood pressure, but it means I have a lot more post-baby weight to lose than I was expecting. Next time around I think I'm going to convince my provider to prescribe me something for nausea.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:52 pm 
***LIES!!!***

On clothes - I was interviewing for a new job up through the fifth month and I didn't want to look pregnant, so I bought several sort of stretchy dresses a size up from my normal size. They kept me looking fat-but-not-pregnant through 20-24 weeks. I figure I can wear them on the way back down as well and it was great to not have to wear maternity clothes for a longer time (my experience with maternity clothes is that they are overpriced and poorly made and there is not much available that looks professional).

And I got the job.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ariann wrote:
Just one warning about "eat whatever you can." During my first trimester the only thing that quelled my nausea was almost constant eating of carbs. I put on 20 pounds in the first trimester, none of which I needed, and then wound up way over-gaining overall during the pregnancy. In the end it was fine healthwise - I had a textbook pregnancy with no sign of gestational diabetes or high blood pressure, but it means I have a lot more post-baby weight to lose than I was expecting.

This happened to me as well. I gained within the healthy range, but now that I'm trying to lose it, I really wish that I hadn't packed on the pounds in the first trimester. It has been impossible to get it off.

On a similar note, I wish I had exercised more in the first trimester. I was so tired, and I was able to get back to it in the second trimester, but I think it would have been better for me to keep up my routine even though I was tired.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Butternut wrote:
On a similar note, I wish I had exercised more in the first trimester. I was so tired, and I was able to get back to it in the second trimester, but I think it would have been better for me to keep up my routine even though I was tired.

Me too. I was absolutely exhausted, so I gave up on working out at all. By the time I had a bit of energy again, I felt so out of shape! I think if I did it again, I'd definitely find an exercise buddy to drag me out for a walk every day at least! (Although, I did have a very physically demanding job, so I guess I did sort of exercise. But nothing outside of work!)