| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Herbivoracious by Michael Natkin
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:43 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Anyone have Herbivoracious? I just stumbled across the blog the other day.. I think it's O-L veg, but it looks like mostly just well-cooked vegetables, maybe more accessible than more frou frou books on the subject.

Post subject: Re: Herbivoracious by Michael Natkin
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:09 pm 
Huffs Nooch

A friend regifted this book to me. While it's billed as vegetarian, it has a lot of vegan and gluten-free recipes as well, plus it's beautiful. Tonight I'm going to make the caramel-cooked tofu, I'll check back in with the results!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:02 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I can't seem to edit my previous post.... The sauce for the "caramel" tofu didn't caramelize at all. :(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:05 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I have it, and its pretty amazing. There's a lot of vegetarian recipes, but they are all super-easy to veganize. He does really innovative things with vegetables and is basically a genius in the kitchen.

My tumblr

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:20 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have it and I like it a lot, though I haven't made much from it yet. Just about every recipe could be easily veganized and there are a lot of fancier ideas and Asian flavors. I love the pictures.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:01 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hey guys - this is Michael, I'm the author of Herbivoracious. I appreciate the shout outs!

Re the caramel-cooked tofu, I've seen that recipe give a couple people trouble, and I think I can help diagnose it - either too much liquid (i.e. from not drying the tofu enough or not using extra firm), not enough cooking time (the liquid needs to mostly cook off before the sugar can caramelize) or a too-deep pan that is holding a lot of the sauce on top where it can't get hot enough. It works best in a wide skillet. One thing you can always do is pull the tofu out and continue cooking the sauce for an extra couple of minutes until it gets really thick and brown, then pour it over the tofu.

I'm sorry it didn't turn out right the first time, and I hope you'll give it another shot - it is really delicious! I've already made a note on my errata page (http://herbivoracious.com/cookbook-errata).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:17 pm 
Huffs Nooch

michaelnatkin wrote:
Hey guys - this is Michael, I'm the author of Herbivoracious. I appreciate the shout outs!

Re the caramel-cooked tofu, I've seen that recipe give a couple people trouble, and I think I can help diagnose it - either too much liquid (i.e. from not drying the tofu enough or not using extra firm), not enough cooking time (the liquid needs to mostly cook off before the sugar can caramelize) or a too-deep pan that is holding a lot of the sauce on top where it can't get hot enough. It works best in a wide skillet. One thing you can always do is pull the tofu out and continue cooking the sauce for an extra couple of minutes until it gets really thick and brown, then pour it over the tofu.

I'm sorry it didn't turn out right the first time, and I hope you'll give it another shot - it is really delicious! I've already made a note on my errata page (http://herbivoracious.com/cookbook-errata).

Thanks for the link! I posted hastily and for some reason I can't edit my posts anymore. While the tofu wasn't caramelized, it was still very tasty - we added in bell pepper and broccoli and it was great! I get the feeling that something like Wild Wood's super firm tofu would work really well. I'll also use my huge sauce pan instead of my deeper cast iron. Thanks for the tips!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:55 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Went ahead and ordered the book. I'd appreciate suggestions on what to make first (the quicker or more conducive to being made with a 12 month old wrapped around one leg the better, honestly), if anyone has any...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kfisher! Michael, I have flipped through the preview on Amazon, and it looks like an amazing cookbook. I want to make the grapefruit/avocado dish.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:16 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Saw this today in the store and it's really beautiful! Can't wait to pick it up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:02 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hey Annak -

Good question - some things i love to make when kids are involved are the Vietnamese Vermicelli and Chirashi Sushi, because you can makes as many or few toppings as you like, and the kids can pick just the pieces they like and even keep them all separate if they want. The Black Bean soup works well that way too because the kids can have it plain and grownups have an orange+jalapeno salsa to spice it up. And the Mujadara is easy enough and usually pretty tasty to kids.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:27 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I'll definitely be getting this book when I have some extra cash laying around. I've been a big fan of the blog for a long time.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:38 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I had never heard of the blog or the book but I don't need much to make me buy a new book and it arrived yesterday. It's really beautiful! I'm excited to cook from it. One thing I really love are the "how to plan a meal" sections - either around a country, or fresh produce, or a grain etc.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:55 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've never heard of this either but I've added it to my wish list now! Curse you, PPK! :)
Looks like there are a lot of really unique and interesting ideas in there and it would be very omni-friendly. That "How to plan a meal" section sounds like something I would really enjoy too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:26 am 
Nooch of Earl

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look those over today; the book is gorgeous, although I've only had a couple minutes to flip through it so far. I noticed that you worked at Cafe Flora for a little while, which made me instantly enthusiastic about the book! We used to live in Silverdale, and it was worth hopping the sound many a time! The CF cookbook is my favorite go-to book for dinner party worthy food.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]