| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Denver?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:27 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I agree w/ what everyone said as well. Would also add that I don't recommend Thornton--it's very 'big box' shopping area style and a little far from fun downtown things (although I don't know how the public transit would be).

I would also suggest the Tennyson/Highlands area--you can walk to the little town area there, Hops & Pie is a great pub and they can make you a vegan pizza and there is a restaurant called Root Down that has raw vegan monthly dinners. And there are lots of cute shops there. If I lived in Denver I'd probably want to live there.

Bonnie Brae seems to be an up and coming neighborhood but I don't personally know much about it.

LoHi also seems pretty cool, but there is a lot of newer stuff there--condos, etc. too if you are not into that.

Keep us posted--so excited for you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:38 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm super excited to be in Denver next Friday for a few hours. My partner left on the first leg of his vacation this morning and I'm taking Amtrak to Denver next week to pick up our car then drive over to Grand Junction. The great part is I have about six hours to kill in Denver first. Beyond being super excited to track down City o City wings and go to Lush I was wondering how easy the light rail is to navigate. As sad as it is, I've rarely been somewhere without a car so I really don't know how to use mass transit. I have to figure out how to get from the Amtrak location to s.o.'s brother's house (which I don't have the address for yet).

Also if anyone has been to Grand Junction and has any recommendations that'd be great. Last time we were there a family member asked if a salad from McDonald's would be ok. Um, not so much.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:27 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

If you're going to bum around the city, BCycle is probably a better option than the light rail. The light rail is super easy to use, but right now it just runs north-south through downtown and out of the city. You should seek where Vegan Van is that day too, and stock up on yummy meals for Grand Junction. Last time I was there it was slim pickens. The Vitamin Cottage there might be your best bet.

If Nooch is open by next week, you should definitely visit!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:21 pm 

My bike is actually already there (it went out with the car last weekend) so as soon as I get to my car (which is in Englewood) I might just ride. I'll get to see more of the city that way too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:47 pm 
Tofu Pup

I am going to Denver 9/15-9/19, any suggestions on where to eat? Going for work so not sure if I will rent a car, staying downtown. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:23 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

So I'll be a happy resident in less than 10 days!! Can you all tell me where's the best (cheap) place to shop for pantry goods, especially bulk items like spices, nuts, flours, etc? I don't want to spend all my $$ at Whole (Foods) Paycheck.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:22 am 
Bathes in Braggs

d.richie wrote:
I am going to Denver 9/15-9/19, any suggestions on where to eat? Going for work so not sure if I will rent a car, staying downtown. Thanks.

For downtown or near downtown: Watercourse, City, O' City, Linger, Sputnik, Vegan Van, Hi Rise, Sushi Sasa, Mercury Cafe, Pizza Fusion, and Sub Culture are all great. Fresh Craft has good-looking vegan options but I haven't had the food yet. Also, be sure to visit Nooch, our brand new vegan grocery! It's just north of downtown, and easy to get to via Bcycle or light rail.

Also this: http://www.vegancoloradical.com/eat-denver/
And this: http://www.vegancoloradical.com/vegan-b ... undup.html
And if you're going to be around on a Civic Center Eats day, this: http://www.vegancoloradical.com/vegan-b ... undup.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:24 am 
Bathes in Braggs

ScooterDiva wrote:
So I'll be a happy resident in less than 10 days!! Can you all tell me where's the best (cheap) place to shop for pantry goods, especially bulk items like spices, nuts, flours, etc? I don't want to spend all my $$ at Whole (Foods) Paycheck.

Welcome! Where abouts will you be living? I actually think Whole Foods is cheapest for bulk items and basic pantry stuff since they have a generic brand, but some people really like Vitamin Cottage or Sunflower for bulk. My very favorite place to shop for bulk is Alfalfa's in Boulder.

Nooch is talking about adding bulk bins, so look out for that!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:47 am 

Thanks abbie! I'll be in DTC - not my choice, but the closest property I could transfer my Seattle apt lease to. I'm so excited for Nooch!! I donated to their kick starter and I like to think it was the good karma that got me my job there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:23 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

The nice thing about Greenwood Village/DTC is that there is actually some good eating out there (http://www.vegancoloradical.com/eat-greenwood-village), and the Landmark theater there is one of my favorites because they kick out all the loud people, and there is free vegan popcorn and coke! It's a little schmancy, but sometimes we take the light rail out that way in the winter for movies.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:01 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

abbierae wrote:
and there is free vegan popcorn and coke!

shiitake, you guys got coke here?!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:48 am 
Bathes in Braggs

elouise wrote:
abbierae wrote:
and there is free vegan popcorn and coke!

shiitake, you guys got coke here?!

<3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:04 pm 

I'm back in Iowa and jealous of all of you with access to City O City. I went there twice - once for wings and once for breakfast. It was amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:52 pm 

I made it!! Already been to city o city, watercourse, and Tokyo joes. Checked out Sunflower Market - was awesomely surprised at the affordability of their foods. Would you all stop being so nice to me, though?!! Every time a stranger says "Hi, how are you?" to me I automatically turn around thinking they don't mean me after becoming accustomed to Seattle's aloofness.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:51 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yay! Welcome, Scooter!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:01 pm 

Thanks, elouise!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:13 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Went to Nooch for the first time this weekend on a day trip down from Boulder. Nice little store, and the guy working the counter was very friendly and laughed at our bad jokes. I hope they do well and get a bigger selection. Bought stuff from "Denver Seitan" for the first time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:09 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

it looks like i am going to be all up in denver's business from april 17-20. BE FOREWARNED.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:45 pm 

Yay calcy!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:41 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

But you're missing Neat Market! We should hang out anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:08 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

calcuhater wrote:
it looks like i am going to be all up in denver's business from april 17-20. BE FOREWARNED.

Good timing! I just saw Beet Box bakery's storefront is opening FINALLY this weekend so you can get some amazing donuts, cupcakes, scones, etc. while you're in town. Hope you have a great trip :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:32 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Hello, Denver! I'm going to be in you this summer! I'm flying in for a Quaker gathering which is in Greeley, June 30-July 6. I need to leave immediately afterward, but I could come a day or two early if anyone out there wants an adorable purple-headed vegan to come visit them!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:16 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Denver VegFest is the 6th and 7th though! I work during the day, but I'd be happy to show you some sites in the evening.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:21 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

luckyklutz wrote:
Denver VegFest is the 6th and 7th though! I work during the day, but I'd be happy to show you some sites in the evening.

Oh man that sounds amazing but I have to be back here for rehearsal on the 7th!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:28 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

luckyklutz wrote:
But you're missing Neat Market! We should hang out anyway.

i missed so many things, only being there for a few days and having to spend most of my time with math teachers...

i did meet your man, though, at nooch and called him by the wrong name because a justin's PB cup pushed that J-name into my head.

next time? i am back on my "i need to move to denver" flow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next