| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: talk to me about crossfit
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i heard about crossfit a few weeks ago and talked to a friend this past weekend who started about a month ago (he loves it).

i've done some basic research online and found a local crossfit team i can join, but i'm really intimidated. so i wanted to hear your experiences with crossfit (the good, the bad, and the ugly).

please share!

Post subject: Re: talk to me about crossfit
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:26 pm 
WRETCHED

I have good experiences and bad experiences but different boxes vary. I went to a pretty good one but I think they tend to hype themselves up.

The good: you utilize your body to exercise rather than gym equipment that moves your body unnaturally. There is a lot of motivation and comraderie.

The bad: some of the movements are prone to injury. You may be pushed beyond what you feel comfortable. There is a 'us vs them' mentality that is somewhat misplaced. The programming may be too random in that you may lack a way to progress beyond a certain point.

I started to have pain in one of my shoulders and I was encouraged to push through the pain and was looked at as not giving it my all when I didn't. That was part of my love loss for Crossfit. I don't think I'd ever join a Crossfit gym again but I did like certain positive aspects.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:47 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I've been reading a lot about CrossFit lately, simply because it seems to be all over the place. The big minuses I'm seeing are that there's a high possibility for injury, the training necessary to become a CrossFit Trainer is woefully inadequate (a weekend), it's expensive, and the science behind it is pretty shaky. This is a good start. Gawker has also had some good stuff on it and the comments have a lot of people who have varying levels of experience with CrossFit.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

They are OBSESSED with paleo diets. Barf.

Fun fact: everyone I work with is obsessed with Cross Fit. Drives me up the wall.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:12 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks for the feedback! j-dub - i'm gonna check out that article, and that's good to know on the injuries, linanil. it sounds kinda assbackwards, but i was hoping crossfit might help make me stronger in my yoga practice. i know it might make me more inflexible, but i was looking to increase strength, too. i certainly don't want to be pushed passed my limits and injured though.

Invictus - my spouse is also vegan and he's a fire fighter. he tells me all the guys at his station love crossfit and are obsessed with the paleo diet. which kinda makes me giggle because i bake him goodies to bring to the station to share and they're always gobbled up. you can bet your boots the cookies and such i make are not paleo friendly - not only are they made with flour, but with white flour. **gasp** ahahhhahaa!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:26 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

yeah, i enjoyed this gawker article and the accompanying comments.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:30 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I love crossfit! But I also go to a vegan gym sooooo...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

CrossFit is a great option for someone that is looking to try out a new form of fitness. There are many reasons that crossfit works for many people, but one big advantage of the program is the setting of goals. When you work out by yourself and without the motivation and encouragement from other people that are striving for a similar outcome, the goals that you set for yourself are often unattainable, uninformed and just not helpful. That is why good CrossFit gyms focus on using Smart Goals.

Below is the SMART Goal Cheat Sheet:

S– specific, significant, stretching
M – measurable, meaningful, motivational
A – agreed upon, attainable, achievable, acceptable, action-oriented
R – realistic, relevant, reasonable, rewarding, results-oriented
T – time-based, timely, tangible, trackable

By having goals that follow these guidelines, you're sure to have results! If you'd like to learn more about SMART goals, go to http://www.northrimcrossfit.com/blog/news/what-are-smart-goals.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:33 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

if you'd like to learn more about smart goals, google "smart goals." the criteria are not specific to, nor were they developed (20 years ago) for, crossfit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My goals for my latest college course were SMART goals too. My decision to do that course certainly wasn't smart.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:34 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

It's something I'm considering trying but based on what I've seen, I'm more than a little hesitant. I do weight training (body builder types of workouts), so my weights are as heavy as I can manage and (with my trainer) my movements and form have to be precise or I can get an injury. The weight bearing exercises I've seen at Crossfit demos freak me out a bit because they are fast, jerky movements with heavy weight. There's no way I would do that, call it an overcautious body builder mentality but I am not going to risk injury and put my entire training program in jeopardy.

I have also been turned off by the attitudes of "work through the pain". Okay, there is certain pain you can work through, I do it every time I go to the gym. But there are other types of pain where I go "uh oh, that doesn't feel right and I need to stop NOW". When I've ignored that voice and continued, I've injured myself. So the "work through the pain" mentality is one that really bugs me, more so when others are shouting it at you but they have no idea about the kind of pain you're feeling. But they assume it's the sort of pain you SHOULD work through, which is harmful and dangerous.

I think just like most things, it would come down to the people running the show and how respectful they are. Crossfit near me is advertised as being for all ages and abilities but the proof is in the pudding I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:42 pm 
Tofu Pup

I love crossfit. When I started everyone was supportive and I fit right in ( I never do). Our box recomends using vega and thats about it, they dont really preach paleo but I know I am just lucky.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think how much you enjoy crossfit really depends on your personality and style. A friend and I went and checked out a gym on an open house day - she loved it and I didn't. I tend to freak out when people are yelling at me whereas some people really thrive on that kind of encouragement. "Keep going! Keep going!" I found the whole thing intimidating. I know the reason for it - many people need that kind of push to stretch themselves. However, I am one of those people for whom it makes me want to crawl into a hole and hide.

People really do get results from crossfit workouts. I've seen some wicked transformations. But it's just one strategy. I prefer a more individual workout with time to think and focus on myself. The few times I went to crossfit I found myself way too self conscious for the whole thing.