| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 496  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Adam Crisis wrote:
the "hippy tax" for substituting something, wether its paying extra for soy milk instead of milk, or paying extra for vegan cheese instead of regular cheese. Last I checked they all sort of cost the same

Ill pay it, but in my head Im hoping this place burns to the ground

This. 100%. So much.

There was local controversy here when a vegetarian restaurant revealed they put non vegan margarine in tofu scrambles unless you specified you wanted vegan margarine, and they justified it saying that in bulk, the non vegan stuff is much cheaper so they automatically go for it (they did concede that they should at least write that on the menu, I think it was just a slip up), I wonder if the same is true of vegan cheese and soy milk.

Although I'm still a little suspicious since locally owned coffee places don't charge extra for soy milk.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:35 pm 
Inflexitarian

fupapack wrote:
Other vegans that cook often and are really bad at it but still want you to try it! An old roommate springs to mind, she would soak lentils and rice for hours before cooking into a beige sludge. Would also fish for compliments after I ingested whatever foul-party stew she has made.

Oh god. There is a possibility this applies to me, though not that specific infraction.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:35 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I think it would depend on the size of the restaurant (chain vs local) and how much product they go through. If you can wholesale a big pallet of milk that will be used it will be cheaper. If you have to buy a carton of soymilk every month and throw half of it out, it won't be. It also depends on what you can get from your distributors. I know there's a vegan place in PDX but I'm not sure you can get 30 pound boxes of tofutti everywhere.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

primesaut wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:
Lactose-free milk. It's still actual milk, people.

THIS. If lactose makes you sick, how about drinking something that doesn't come from a cow? It's 2012, there are plenty of options.

I ordered a soy latté yesterday and the barista was all proud to tell me: "We have lactose-free milk now!" "Still comes from a cow," I answered with a smile. That shut her up.

(They even have a cute little chalkboard propped up on the counter that says: "Lactose-free milk now available!" I somehow managed to resist the urge to spit on it and wipe it with a napkin.)

Loved your response!

Butterfat/milk in dark chocolate, beeswax coating on choc-covered nuts/dried fruit (especially when they don't have to include it in the label), milk solids in everything.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:27 pm 
Naked Under Apron

choirqueer wrote:
Sass wrote:
No honey. But maybe they snuck it under natural flavors? It's a bit confusing because I usually get Salt&Vinegar flavor (I remember actually thinking Spicy Thai wasn't vegan) but like a month or 2 ago I got a bag because there was no honey in the ingredients and I was SO excited.

Maybe it doesn't anymore! I will check next time I'm at the store. This would be the best news EVER EVER EVER! Seriously, those things were my favorite snack food for years before I looked one day and saw honey on the package and pretty much had a tantrum.

I just bought those Spicy Thai chips last week for the first time, and there was no honey. Weirdly, when I read the label I was surprised that they were vegan, because for some reason I thought they weren't.

Anyway, they were good! Tasted strongly of Froot Loops to me (I guess from the sugar + lime), but good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:48 pm 
WELFARIST!

Shy Mox wrote:
There was local controversy here when a vegetarian restaurant revealed they put non vegan margarine in tofu scrambles unless you specified you wanted vegan margarine, and they justified it saying that in bulk, the non vegan stuff is much cheaper so they automatically go for it (they did concede that they should at least write that on the menu, I think it was just a slip up), I wonder if the same is true of vegan cheese and soy milk.

Although I'm still a little suspicious since locally owned coffee places don't charge extra for soy milk.

Yeah, our small coffee places serve coffee with soymilk for no extra charge, as does Au Bon Pain. Even a little diner that I went to served it with no extra charge. Starbucks, you have no excuse.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:34 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Adam Crisis wrote:
the "hippy tax" for substituting something, wether its paying extra for soy milk instead of milk, or paying extra for vegan cheese instead of regular cheese. Last I checked they all sort of cost the same

It's so ridiculous to charge 50 or 75 cents extra for soy milk. I pay $1.50 per liter for soy milk, so I imagine a cafe getting soy milk in bulk can purchase it for significantly cheaper. I don't know how much a liter of cow's milk costs, but I can't imagine that per serving the price differential is big enough to charge extra. I will sort of deal with it if it is some milk-based fancy drink, but if I get charged extra to add a few tablespoons of soy milk to my coffee, I never go back to that place. That hasn't happened to me in the last city I lived in, but it happens in Manhattan all the time.

The other thing at cafes that annoys me is when they pour the soy milk for me. Everyone else gets to add as much milk as they want because everyone likes different amounts of milk, but for some reason since soy milk is so special that it gets kept behind the counter at a lot of places, the barista thinks they magically know how much soy milk I want in my coffee. Just hand me the goddam soy milk! They're always super chintzy with it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:24 pm 
Grandfathered In

It's not just the hippie tax, which might be reasonable, I guess. Small restaurant can't afford to "invest" in seldom-ordered stuff. But at least give me the hippie discount when I order your pizza with no cheese, or whatever!

They get us coming and going!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:56 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Yes on the hippie tax.

Even the local coffee places here charge extra, except one grocery store cafe that makes some of the worst lattes I've ever had.

I hate when people assume that vegan means you don't like flavors/only eat super healthy shiitake with no salt or fat or seasoning. Bland food is sad, no matter what your diet is.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:06 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

FootFace wrote:
It's not just the hippie tax, which might be reasonable, I guess. Small restaurant can't afford to "invest" in seldom-ordered stuff. But at least give me the hippie discount when I order your pizza with no cheese, or whatever!

They get us coming and going!

Oh, this drives me nuts. Half the time the fancy salad I'm ordering because I won't eat anything else on the menu is fifteen bucks because of some fancy goat cheese that I'm not even going to eat! CHARGE ME LESS..or let me substitute something extravagant at no extra charge (sometimes this is possible).

Also, I work right down the block from Flying Apron. They serve awesome coffee and give a 10% discount to people who work in Fremont, so their crazy expensive "vegan" and gluten-free stuff is actually an affordable treat occasionally (their linzer cookies are so good)...but they use honey in some things! Don't advertise as vegan!

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:46 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Shy Mox wrote:

I don't think soy milk is more expensive than dairy milk, so the upcharge on that seems suspicious to me. Vegan cheese does cost more per ounce if you're comparing something like Daiya cheddar to dairy cheddar. I don't know how much of a discount restaurants can get buying Daiya in bulk.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:25 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

DLD wrote:
When everyone at dinner in a restaurant is compelled to point out the vegan options on the menu to me. Even if I chose the restaurant. And told them I had been there many times. And they hadn't. This just drives me insane, for so many reasons. Including the most obvious one that after more than 2 decades of being vegan, I can forking spot the vegan option from across the room, people! I don't need your helpful suggestions of "Hey, hey, did you see this? I bet they could make this for you without the fish, if you ask."

this!!! even though it's well meaning it drives me insane. it's been happening to me ever since i became a vegetarian a million years ago and is worse now as a vegan. it's like "i can read people thank you!!!"

people get really riled up and worried abouit what im going to eat even though ive never once made a fuss anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:00 am 
Seagull of the PPK

If anyone ever finds out i'm vegan, the responses are almost sure to be:

1) oh, you know, i'm cutting down on red meat
2) I could NEVER give up CHEEZ

#idontcarethx

This week though i was peeved when a colleague we've been having 3 meetings a week with was all
"oh my GAWD you don't eat ANYTHING what will I make when we have our lunch meeting?"
Dude, for every forking meeting i've brought something homemade and amazing, just STFU. I was pissed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:14 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I've gotten this one more than I ever imagined.

*Eating out with co-workers, someone new is in the group*
"Do you want bread?"
Me: "No, they butter it."
"You don't eat butter?"
Me: "No. I'm vegan."
"*looks me over* You don't look vegan."

what the fizzle?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! What do vegans look like?! I can't believe the stupidity in that sentence, or the ignorance a person has to happily embrace to actually say it out loud.

I promise I'm not a bot! My birthday is June 10th. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:25 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Along the lines of the chips - Tiny bits of honey added to foods to make them appear healthier, especially if there are other sweeteners added.

Other people being defensive. Make your own choices and live with them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:36 am 
Inflexitarian

choirqueer wrote:
Sass wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
Products that were once vegan and then without warning add animal products to their ingredients. Damn you, Spicy Thai Kettle Chips. :(

Those aren't vegan anymore?! mustards!!!

Ughh, I feel terrible now that I've ruined them for everyone! Which doesn't even make sense since it's not like it was my idea to put honey in them. Sorry! Maybe if we all write to them!?

Don't feel bad. I ate the morning star crumbles for *months* (maybe almost a year?!) before I figured out the ingredients had changed. I wish someone had rained on my parade a lot sooner!

ETA: The fact that I can no longer eat the Morningstar Italian Sausage crumbles is *still* a big vegan pet peeve for me.

Adam Crisis wrote:

Qdoba charges extra for subbing grilled veggies or fajita veggies for chicken in the Mexican Gumbo. Why?! It should be cheaper!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:22 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

pandacookie wrote:
I hate vegan sayings that put down other people and I feel like I see them more lately. If you were vegan and aren't now then you were never vegan. Also, never trust an ex-vegan. What does those even mean? Factually incorrect and just creating an us against them mentality that I don't think creates much of an atmosphere for discussion. Which is probably the point but I am not down with it.

Yes. And predicting heart attacks/cancer/death for nonvegans really really bothers me. Gloating about another human's illness or death is lousy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:48 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

LisaPunk wrote:
DLD wrote:
When everyone at dinner in a restaurant is compelled to point out the vegan options on the menu to me. Even if I chose the restaurant. And told them I had been there many times. And they hadn't. This just drives me insane, for so many reasons. Including the most obvious one that after more than 2 decades of being vegan, I can forking spot the vegan option from across the room, people! I don't need your helpful suggestions of "Hey, hey, did you see this? I bet they could make this for you without the fish, if you ask."

this!!! even though it's well meaning it drives me insane. it's been happening to me ever since i became a vegetarian a million years ago and is worse now as a vegan. it's like "i can read people thank you!!!"

people get really riled up and worried abouit what im going to eat even though ive never once made a fuss anywhere.

Aww, I actually think it's sweet when people do that. My mum does this to death, even when I politely remind her that I know how to order in restaurants (and usually I've already read the menu online and planned what I'll eat), but in a way, it's just her trying to be accommodating. It's better than when people insist we go to a restaurant with nothing vegan and then roll their eyes when I order a garden salad.

However I DO hate when dining companions/people in general (my grandma, boss, and doctor, recently) comment that I must stay so thin (I'm really not that thin) because I'm vegan. VEGANS COME IN ALL SIZES. Also, commenting on someone's weight is never okay in my mind.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:57 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

pandacookie wrote:
I think it would depend on the size of the restaurant (chain vs local) and how much product they go through. If you can wholesale a big pallet of milk that will be used it will be cheaper. If you have to buy a carton of soymilk every month and throw half of it out, it won't be. It also depends on what you can get from your distributors. I know there's a vegan place in PDX but I'm not sure you can get 30 pound boxes of tofutti everywhere.

Yeah, totally. I brought soy milk into my workplace for customers but it really does get requested so infrequently that we would probably charge extra for it if it wasn't me making the decisions. I just buy Vitasoy once in a while and drink the rest myself if it's open for too long. I'm sure most non-vegans would balk at the waste, but it's seriously like $1.99 every two months, and a company can handle that. Everyone else gets free milk, cream, and cheese, so I drink my free soy milk triumphantly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:01 am 
Dead by dawn

I can deal with people pointing out the vegan things on menus, but I have dined with a few people over the years who have felt compelled, as soon as the server appears at the table, to announce, "She's a vegan! Do you have anything vegan on the menu that she can order?!" Thanks, but depending on the menu, the server doesn't even need to know I'm vegan. I've found something that I can either ask a couple of simple questions about, or sub out a single ingredient and be good with it. Enough people joke about how vegans feel compelled to tell everyone they encounter that they're vegan (bullshiitake) that I don't need someone else contributing to that stereotype on my behalf!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:02 am 
Inflexitarian

I hate that google assumes vegan = vegetarian. If you really want vegan search results, you have to put it in quotes. Fork you, google, they're not the same thing!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:02 am 
ugh

mollyjade wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
I hate vegan sayings that put down other people and I feel like I see them more lately. If you were vegan and aren't now then you were never vegan. Also, never trust an ex-vegan. What does those even mean? Factually incorrect and just creating an us against them mentality that I don't think creates much of an atmosphere for discussion. Which is probably the point but I am not down with it.

Yes. And predicting heart attacks/cancer/death for nonvegans really really bothers me. Gloating about another human's illness or death is lousy.

I also hate when people say "If you aren't vegan, you aren't really a _______." Usually a feminist or environmentalist or whatever.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:27 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

GAH to co-workers who make something gluten-free and expect that I will eat it. Last time this happened, a co-worker made brownies with chickpeas in it (which sounds gross, btw) and said I should have some. I said, "is it vegan?" "no...it has eggs in it. But it's gluten-free" "yeah, well...not the same thing."

Someone mentioned this upthread, but a dinner companion "helping out" by pointing out every potential vegan thing on a menu is super annoying. If I'm at a restaurant where that needs to happen (so, assuming it's not a vegan restaurant), chances are I'd like to draw as little attention to the fact that I'm going to have to make substitutions and ask the server what I can eat. So, stop it. Focus on you.

Also, the "mmmm CHEEEEEESE" response to asking if I eat cheese. When I say I don't eat dairy cheese, it's almost a guarantee that the person's response is "MMMICOULDNTLIVEWITHOUTITMMMMM" What type of response are they expecting?

Also, my mother-in-law saying that sometimes it's better to not know things. She offers us cookies at her house which aren't vegan (despite her son being vegan for 16 years and me being vegan for 4, she STILL won't accept it), and when we say no, she says, "Why?" And we tell her, "Because they're not vegan." And she ALWAYS says, "Sometimes it's better to not know and just enjoy it anyway."

Last edited by paprikapapaya on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:29 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

torque wrote:
2) I could NEVER give up CHEEZ
THIS. Trust me, if your doctor told you that you had a rare disease that would cause you to die a horrible, painful death the instant you put cheese in your mouth you'd give up eating cheese. You just don't want to (and "won't" is a much different animal than "can't"). There are lots of things in life harder than giving up cheese.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:51 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

deedah610 wrote:
*Eating out with co-workers, someone new is in the group*
"Do you want bread?"
Me: "No, they butter it."
"You don't eat butter?"
Me: "No. I'm vegan."
"*looks me over* You don't look vegan."

Substitute the last line with "But you don't need to lose weight!" or "Does that mean you eat tofu?"...

Only vegans eat tofu. If anyone else eats tofu, they will immediately die. Only vegans are immune. Also, there are no vegans of average or higher weight. We all lie around languidly fantasising about bacon and eating tofu.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 496  Next