| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 177  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:25 am 
Married to the wolfman

Good luck moooo! Both my kids have wanted to sleep with boob in mouth... With E I would just keep putting it back in, with M not so much. Mama needs sleep!

If the pacifier doesn't work, here is something that sometimes (sometimes) works for me: wait til the sucking slows down or stops, which should be pretty fast if she's really not nursing. Pop your boob out and at the same time, use a finger to apply firm upward pressure on the bottom of her chin, holding her mouth closed. Keep your boob right up against her face so she still feels/smells that you're right there. If it works, she'll relax into sleep and in a few minutes you can put your boob away and/or move into a position that's better for you.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:47 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Thank you!! I'll try that.

The only times she's slept for longer stretches (3 hours at the most, but usually more like 1.5-2 hours) have been in her co-sleeper, so I think being right next to me actually makes her more likely to wake up whenever I move. But then of course it's hard to lift her into the co-sleeper without waking her up. I just really need to figure something out before I go back to school at the end of the month or I don't know how I'm going to make it!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:18 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

FootFace wrote:
Oh no! Old Iron Hide is hitting the same milestones! (Wasn't that his PPK name?)

It's been so long that I don't remember what his PPK name was. But YES the same lovely milestones are happening in our home. So intense! Not cleaning up, arguing over things that use to not be an issue, thinking we don't care about him because he doesn't always get his way, etc. And then moments of total peace and laughter, teamwork.... so we know it can happen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

erin32mc wrote:
FootFace wrote:
Oh no! Old Iron Hide is hitting the same milestones! (Wasn't that his PPK name?)

It's been so long that I don't remember what his PPK name was. But YES the same lovely milestones are happening in our home. So intense! Not cleaning up, arguing over things that use to not be an issue, thinking we don't care about him because he doesn't always get his way, etc. And then moments of total peace and laughter, teamwork.... so we know it can happen.

We are having the same issues right now. But the little guy is four. Ugh, I feel like this is a preview of him becoming a teenager.

We had dinner, and he miraculously tried everything on his plate, including kale, which he usually hates but last night he said he liked it. After he tried some of everything, he asked for macaroni for dinner. We said no, but maybe for lunch tomorrow. He said "You made me sad!" and ran to his room huffing and pouting. He uses this phrase any time we say no/later/etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:20 pm 
Grandfathered In

erin32mc wrote:
FootFace wrote:

Exactly! That's exactly what it's like! But ours doesn't "argue," he just "expresses his opinion." So he tells us. Often.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:55 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

FootFace wrote:
erin32mc wrote:
FootFace wrote:

Exactly! That's exactly what it's like! But ours doesn't "argue," he just "expresses his opinion." So he tells us. Often.

"express his opinion" I like that. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hang in there, guys! It seems to get better after a loooonngggg time! Shae's attitude is gone lately, he's back to being helpful and sweet, BUT his laundry is still on the floor daily and he wants to sleep/play on his iPod as much as humanely possibly. His bathroom is still mostly clean, so I'm choosing my battles here.

He's training to be a soccer ref tomorrow (his first job! Awe!) and it is sort of hitting me how old he is.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:47 am 
Not NOT A Furry

mooo wrote:
Last night was the worst since Scarlett was born. The night before was pretty bad so I was all excited to get in bed at 10 and maybe get a 3-4 hour stretch, but she woke up seriously every 10 minutes from 10 until 5 am. Every time she wakes up she acts like she's ravenously hungry, but she just seems to want to fall asleep with my boob in her mouth. One time I tried to slowly remove my nipple from her mouth after she had fallen asleep, and she instantly started screaming, then instantly fell back asleep when I put it back in. My main plan for today is to go buy a pacifier. I'm really hoping that will help.

Good luck! I'm guilty of popping him off my boob and popping the pacifier right in on nights where I can tell he's just comfort nursing to avoid the inevitable screaminess. Good news, I've only had to do it once or twice, and it worked!

Speaking of boobs, it's 3:43 am on a Saturday and I'm up pumping because I got up at 3:20 soaked with rock hard boobs. It's been 6 months, and I haven't nursed overnight in about two months, why oh why do these guys think it's an appropriate time to be engorged?! Guess I'll start building up next week's daycare stash...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:58 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Husband is out of town this weekend and the kids are driving me around the bend. Ginger refused to take the nap she really needed, an hours-long battle of wills that I basically lost after she spite-peed in the bed. Not only that but she woke up her brother and he's not the going back to sleep type. Now they're playing nicely enough but it's too little too late and I am still feeling totally frayed and pissed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:57 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Remind me why it is that I wash these children? It's less than an hour since they got out of the bath tub and both of them are pretty much head to toe filthy again.

Not a big deal, but my spouse is arriving and I kinda thought I'd put on some nice clean clothes and like brush my hair so as to make a good impression after not seeing him for 3 weeks. But I think that by the time he gets here in 2-3 hours they will probably have made me as dirty as they are.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:30 am 
Grandfathered In

Here's what I just learned: just because the calendar says they're 10 years old today doesn't mean anything actually changes today.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:54 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Floors: who needs to see them?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm going to vent because Shae goes back to school in a week and a half and I feel like summer just started! (Not the heat, that's been happening as long as I can remember) He still has to finish his summer reading/essay project/research development thing and train for a travel soccer tournament, and we have to travel for a weekend for that tournament, so basically no time to do anything else before school starts. Sadface.

He's been back to his sweet self for awhile and I hate to deal with the dramaz that school stress bring. Also, he's in 8th grade. That sounds horrifyingly old.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:14 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My husband is in Italy, so it's just me and the three-year-old and a growth spurting 5-month old. While I thought she was sleeping last night, L finds a tube of white paint in her room, and proceeds to get it everywhere. Sheets, blankets, clothes, herself, walls, etc. That was lots of fun.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:29 pm 
Chip Strong

Ada has become such a handful in the last few days and I am exhausted. She won't sit in the high chair so she's been sitting in a regular chair at the table which is neat until she throws everything everywhere. She doesn't want to be in the stroller or ergo so she has been walking places which is also kind of cool but that is just not going to work all of the time. She has been way more destructive than usual and is throwing little tantrums. I actually yelled at her a couple of times in the last few days, which I feel horrible about. I have never gotten to that point with her before. I know she is going through all of this developmental stuff (which is super awesome and she is pretty much the cutest ever) but phew, I am wiped out physically and mentally.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:17 pm 
Semen Strong

I am amazed that there aren't more traffic accidents involving moms. It is so freaking hard to drive when someone in the backseat is SCREAMING.

Leela is teething, so I thought I would just take her for a bit of a drive so she'd nap. She napped great for 30 mins there, had fun playing and then screamed all the way back and through our entire trip walking the dog, who wouldn't go faster just so the stroller movement might put her out. People looked at me like I was the biggest jerk ever, dragging a dog who is just trying to sniff and pushing a kid who wouldn't stop screaming.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:27 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I rear ended someone at a stop sign once, with both twins screaming their heads off (maybe 1 year old?). An old lady. Not hard enough for there to be any damage, but still, I hit her car. We both got out, she was MAD. She looked at me, looked at the kids still screaming in the car, looked at the car, and said, "ah, don't worry about it" and got back in the car and drove away.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:02 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Torque - fantastic story.

Kelly - aww. I hear you. Summer goes way too fast. And 8th grade does old. Amazing. Hope the transition to school from summer goes well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:38 am 
Chip Strong

I just told my mom that Ada's iron level came back a little low at her 15 month check up and she said "well you need to give her meat". And then she told me that all of us kids listened to her when she said no.

Tofulish, that is my fear of moving somewhere where we would need a car! As of now, Ada has never been in the backseat by herself. I can't imagine it is easy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:55 am 
***LIES!!!***

On the flip side, some kids are totally cool in the car seat. Malka screams when you put her in and sometimes contorts her body to make it near-impossible, but once she's strapped in, she accepts her fate and either hums/babbles to herself the whole ride or falls asleep. We've had very few incidents of her screaming for a whole car ride.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:08 am 
Semen Strong

Lucky you! My husband suggested that we drive to Ga again, because it was so easy last time, when she was 10 weeks old and slept through the whole car ride. I explained that now she sleeps for about an hour, and then screams. The idea of 2 days of 8 hour drives where she is screaming is pretty much not one I would ever entertain.

Next trip we are going to fly. And probably be That Family Who Refuses To Benadryl Their Kid.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The way we handled our trip to Canada was by only driving during expected nap times. We weren't worried about her screaming so much as being confined and not moving or getting stimulation. We are able to get one 2-3 hour nap out of her each day if the car is moving so it took us like four days to get to Canada and we made fun mini-vacations along the way. It would be kind of crazy to do that for a trip to Georgia, but it might be possible to do multiple stops and mini trips out to a closer vacation spot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:25 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

sashi wrote:
she told me that all of us kids listened to her when she said no. .

uh huh.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have a dog who refuses to eat his kibble and instead goes in the diaper pail, takes out a dirty diaper and eats the poo.

And a kid who is obsessed with taking the dogs kibble, dumping it in the water dish, then dumping all that on the floor and trying to eat the dog food.

WHY ME???!??

I had to wash both of their mouths out while gagging tonight. Fun times.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:45 pm 
Semen Strong

What the heck is so delicious about dog kibble? Leela loves it, and will jam her mouth full of it at the slightest chance, and then giggle as I try and pry them out of her hamster cheeks. And I seem to inevitably miss one or two pieces. Its vegan at least.

I think we need to get photos of our kids doing this for blackmail/wedding photo montage purposes down the line.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 177  Next