| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 512  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:28 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yeah, and people who call themselves locavores and are all high and mighty about it NEVER eat only local food. That's REALLY hard to do.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:18 pm 
Inflexitarian

happyfaced wrote:
quark wrote:
FootFace wrote:
Yeah, but the other thing? They couldn't care less about the rain forests. They're just trying to score points. Because they suck.

So true.

One of my facebook friends posted an article the other day that basically argued that being vegetarian wasn't all that environmentally friendly because of the food miles, and that a locavore diet was better. I'm always suspicious of these arguments, because they're usually given by someone not eating this hypothetically wonderful-for-the-planet diet in which all food items comes from the farm down the street. Seriously, does anyone manage to eat only local food? And how much $$ does it cost?

But yeah, people putting forth this argument seldom seem to really care about the environment... they just need to attack vegetarianism in some way.

quark - there was a link to a report that i think Mollyjade posted a few months back. basically, veganism beats locavore by like 9%. the waste/pollution isn't in the transportation - it's mostly in production. i'm gonna try and find that thread....

edited to add - i found it: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18113

Oh gawd, *thank you* for this. I wish I had had this available when my friend posted!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:39 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Theres a vegan coffee shop that will give you soy fpr free but charge for almond/coconut/hemp. Now thats a little mean to me, especially because their prices are already in Starbucks territory.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:15 pm 
WRETCHED

Starbucks doesn't charge for soy if you have a Starbucks card. It is the only reason that I have one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Yeah, and people who call themselves locavores and are all high and mighty about it NEVER eat only local food. That's REALLY hard to do.

yuppppp!

also, i am sure this has already been brought up, but do those local cows, chickens, etc. eat local too? i am willing to bet more often than not the diet of those animals isn't local.... i'm just say'n!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:33 pm 
Semen Strong

And I guess NYC locavores never eat salt or certain spices (like turmeric, pepper, etc) because most of those are imported. Or eat rice or quinoa. Blergh.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:36 pm 
WRETCHED

The Paleo people are like that as well. They talk up grass fed beef but then eat factory farmed meat because it is cheaper and more convenient.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:01 pm 
Saggy Butt

missmuffcake wrote:
I do not like when people say "oooohhhh vegan - that is a good diet!"...It is not a forking diet - it is my way of life.

"are you still on that diet?"
"what diet"
"that vegan one. We have ceviche, can you eat that?"

Cause if the fish ain't cooked it doesn't count?. . . ugh

"Is there any meat in it?"
"No." long pause "just a little chicken"

I'm so tired of Meat = Beef to most people. If I meant beef I would have said it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:30 pm 

mollyjade wrote:
I'm a bit sympathetic to the vegan upcharge for soy milk or vegan cheese. I've known restaurants that added Daiya to their menu, but eventually dropped it because they were losing money on each order, even with the extra charge.

Really? I don't have tons of sympathy there. Daiya is cheap! You can freeze it! It comes shredded! They offer wholesale prices! It's like a restauranteur's dream, in my opinion. But I've only ordered product for small restaurants.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Mr. Shankly wrote:
veggiepalooza wrote:
Also I remember sophomore year of high school I went on a vacation with my friends and one of their families during Easter. They got me a package of tofu. Like, they didn't even cook it or anything. I had to eat this tofu from right out of the package and pretend it was great. I would have been happy with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!

How familiar were they with tofu? Maybe they didn't realize people usually cook it?

I think they thought that was how you eat it! I was just kind of baffled and sooo didn't want to make a fuss, so I ate it like that!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:27 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

vijita wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
I'm a bit sympathetic to the vegan upcharge for soy milk or vegan cheese. I've known restaurants that added Daiya to their menu, but eventually dropped it because they were losing money on each order, even with the extra charge.

Really? I don't have tons of sympathy there. Daiya is cheap! You can freeze it! It comes shredded! They offer wholesale prices! It's like a restauranteur's dream, in my opinion. But I've only ordered product for small restaurants.
Yeah, but when you only have two customers ordering it a week and the whole lot goes off, that's a whole lots of out of date daiya that you just paid for. I know that Vegan Essentials recommend you use it within a week of receiving it, or freeze it. Freezer space effectively costs money (it uses up space that you're paying bills on and could be used for other, more popular, products), so keeping something that people only order once or twice a week is not efficient.

Also, daiya looks like snot and tastes like armpit.

Oh, I have another peeve! The complete and utter domination of Quorn here. It's Quorn central. Vegan things taken off menus and being replaced by Quorn. Quonstantly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:35 am 
WELFARIST!

Gulliver wrote:
Oh, I have another peeve! The complete and utter domination of Quorn here. It's Quorn central. Vegan things taken off menus and being replaced by Quorn. Quonstantly.

I see what you did there.

But I agree! My local grocery store has recently removed all of its Gardein products and has doubled the amount of Quorn products.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:38 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

linanil wrote:
Starbucks doesn't charge for soy if you have a Starbucks card. It is the only reason that I have one.

We don't have Starbucks cards around here (we also don't have all the tasty syrups you have in the US! Boo). Soymilk is € 0,60 extra. That's a lot! Hardly any other places have soymilk. I wanted to try a latte in a coffee shop in a train station I hadn't been to before, soymilk was on the menu. They didn't have any (and the cashier was super rude).

Gulliver wrote:

Yep!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:27 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

torque wrote:
oh, also, don't tell me that my "choice" to eat soy is burning down the rainforest. You want to talk rainforest, I will be happy to back you into a corner and tell you all about why the rainforest is being cleared. It's for your frigging leather seats and cheap meat sent to Russia and for soy that goes into those chicken nuggets along with pink slime.

Vegan trolling in general is a major pet peeve of mine. Just leave me the fork alone if you haven't got anything decent to say. It's not like they would care if I did have all the figures about soy and rain forests present. (They'd probably just dismiss those figures by telling me that those are just vegan propaganda.) I don't want to have to learn ALL facts and figures about EVERYTHING by heart, just to have an answer for trolling omni's.

Also, it makes me feel bad personally when I'm being trolled this way, because having to say that I don't know or that I haven't got the numbers present, makes me feel like a bad vegan. Especially because they're so few of us out here where I live. I don't want people to think that I don't know what I'm doing. (In general, what's with the hate for people who are doing something they believe in? Am I a target for actually trying to make the world a better place? It's probably a Dutch thing as well, because people here don't like people who stick out for any reason.)

Boo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:31 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

I see what you did there.
But I agree! My local grocery store has recently removed all of its Gardein products and has doubled the amount of Quorn products.

I emailed my supermarket complaining how their regularly expanding assortment of veggie products all have dairy and/or egg in them, and how nice it would be to have some more vegan options. They mailed me back, saying: "There's plain tofu and flavoured tofu, so stop whining."

How is that a proper selection of vegan products?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:20 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

veggiepalooza wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
veggiepalooza wrote:
Also I remember sophomore year of high school I went on a vacation with my friends and one of their families during Easter. They got me a package of tofu. Like, they didn't even cook it or anything. I had to eat this tofu from right out of the package and pretend it was great. I would have been happy with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!

How familiar were they with tofu? Maybe they didn't realize people usually cook it?

I think they thought that was how you eat it! I was just kind of baffled and sooo didn't want to make a fuss, so I ate it like that!!!

You are a trooper. Wow.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:39 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Adam Crisis wrote:
the "hippy tax" for substituting something, wether its paying extra for soy milk instead of milk, or paying extra for vegan cheese instead of regular cheese. Last I checked they all sort of cost the same

Ill pay it, but in my head Im hoping this place burns to the ground

yeah, absolutely. I mean, I'm happy that the bakery around the corner sells Latte macchiato with soy milk (even the good Alpro one), but I still have to pay 30 cents extra.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:41 am 

Gulliver wrote:

I do agree with you there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:16 am 
Bathes in Braggs

vijita wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

I do agree with you there.

But that's why we like it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:48 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I keep reading this thread and not posting because i'm worried about posting a novel.

So I am very lucky that everyone I know likes Thai, Indian, etc. and that we don't do food things at work ever (and in the whole two times they've all gone to lunch together it was expected that I would stay and answer the phones anyway). I have to go to some place I absolutely cannot eat at maybe once a year, it usually involves a funeral so I am obviously not going to pitch a fit about the church food or diner we go to, as long as no one makes a big deal about me not eating the food I can't eat, I can power through.

Our health food store has an in-house bakery. (I don't know if i've ppked about this, I know I posted it on g+, but bare with me if you've heard this before.) They make vegan cupcakes and coffee cake and brownies and they make their own bread, which you buy sliced. Awesome, right? Wrong. Only one bread doesn't have honey in it. When the cupcakes were introduced, we tried two flavors and they were fine, but the rest have been inedible. Overbaked to the point of being rocks/so dry no fork left white marks on the cupcake. I had to eat it with a fork because it was also crumbling apart. Other stuff is usually kind of dry but edible, but I still don't get it because I can make a mug brownie that's better than a dry brownie. The last straw was when they sold me coffee cake that was so underbaked, it was FLOPPY. What crasshole cut that up and thought, "Yep, gonna wrap it up and sell it anyway!"

So I have all of these fresh baked, vegan goods available to me, taunting me, and they all suck asparagus. Also all of the honey. Some local business started renting a small cold case there and they have tofu sushi. It has honey in it. Why. WHY. I mean, I know 'why', because it's natural and hippies and blahblahblah, but it's not like there aren't other natural sweeteners. Also, for sushi (I assume it's the sweetener in the rice) and things like bread, where you only need a teensy bit, I don't think agave or raw sugar is going to kill anyone.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:57 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Our health food store has an in-house bakery. (I don't know if i've ppked about this, I know I posted it on g+, but bare with me if you've heard this before.) They make vegan cupcakes and coffee cake and brownies and they make their own bread, which you buy sliced. Awesome, right? Wrong. Only one bread doesn't have honey in it. When the cupcakes were introduced, we tried two flavors and they were fine, but the rest have been inedible. Overbaked to the point of being rocks/so dry no fork left white marks on the cupcake. I had to eat it with a fork because it was also crumbling apart. Other stuff is usually kind of dry but edible, but I still don't get it because I can make a mug brownie that's better than a dry brownie.

Ugh, that sucks. It seems like 1/2 the time I try a vegan cake/brownie/whatever from a new cafe it's totally dry and gross. What's up with that? I know from experience that it's possible to make a moist vegan cake using something as simple as vegetable oil. Maybe they assume that if you're vegan and like to eat vegetables, you also like to eat things that taste like dirt.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:06 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

vijita wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

I don't know. One of the places I'm thinking about is our coop here, which is super super vegan friendly. I believe them that they were losing money, because they really do go out of their way to be vegan-friendly, and I can't think of any motivation for lying.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:07 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Before the cupcakes, I noticed a lot of stuff had en-er-g egg replacer in it, so I assumed that was the issue and just kind of shrugged because they were just a little dry, but not terrible. But Brian bought some lemon curd filled cupcakes once, and about a month later his sister bought the same ones. Both times they were like rocks. You could smack them against the table, we ended up just eating the frosting off and digging out the curd. And then I hear them telling people how delicious they are. I can't decide if they aren't eating them and are lying or if they actually think that vegan cupcakes are supposed to be like dry rocks.

I've had varying results from other health food stores around Illinois, but the worst i've ever gotten is just things being a little dry and a lot of it has been excellent.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:15 am 
Nailed to the V

I organize vegan bake sales here in town and I can't tell you how many people eat my baked goods and are surprised they aren't dry, gritty with sugar, or tasteless. There's a vegan bakery here that is relatively high-profile but not very good, and unfortunately their stuff is often the first exposure to vegan baking for omnis and some vegans (I say 'some' because baking was the first thing I tried when I went vegan and I learned what was tasty and what was not). When people rave about how good their baked goods are I kind of wonder if they've never eaten a really good cupcake or cookie and have nothing to compare it to.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:18 am 

Ugh, I feel you on the bakeries. The one vegan cupcake place here brought in Man Cakes with real bacon. So they were vegan...except for bacon. I know I've bitched about this issue on the PPK before but it still makes my head explode. They went out of business, so whatevs, but it was just really sad.

I ordered a sample loaf of what was supposed to be a very "natural" gluten-free loaf of bread because I'm expanding the g-f options at work. It had both egg whites, whole eggs, and milk solids in the ingredients. Some coworkers tasted it and proclaimed it disgusting, and I'm just so confused that you'd take a product that is meant to be allergy-friendly and load it up with allergens.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 512  Next