| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:50 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Mine comes in four days! I've got my rejuvelac all set to go!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

chaioli wrote:
I got my copy yesterday, too!! :) All the recipes in the book sound delicious and fairly easy! I'm so excited. I'm planning on making everything in this book by next year - my own year of vegan cheese!

MoFo theme....? :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mine is supposed to be here Wednesday! I'm so, so glad I popped into this thread, though, because although I had bought a huge bag of cashews, I had forgotten I need to make the rejuvelac. I guess I'll get on that tonight so that I'll be set to go.

Miyoko, have you had success in halving your recipes? If at all possible I would probably like to try halves just to figure out my preferences and abilities before sinking tons into ingredients.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:34 pm 
Nooch of Earl

For those kind of scared of rejuvelac (and count me among those): yeaaaars ago, like back in 2007 or so, there was somebody who made some neat vegan cheeses using those fermented tofu cubes you find in jars in Asian markets. Does anyone have a record of those posts? Anybody tried using these with the new cashew cheese craze? I'm not sure if they still have living cultures when jarred, but it might add some fermented taste in less time.

Anyway, glad to hear about the cookbook, my cookbook shelf is FULL though!! *clicks add to cart*

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:42 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i just bought wheat berries and started soaking them and it turns out they are parboiled! so dumb! I've never seen parboiled wheat berries before. I'll have to go shop somewhere else tomorrow to start my rejuvelac.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:44 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

This looks interesting going to give it a try.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:45 pm 
Tofu Pup

Has anyone tried this yet? Can you share how it is?

I'm on the fence on getting the book and am waiting for some feedback or reviews first.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:19 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

To Bekki, you can cut the recipes in half if you want, but the recipes aren't huge - they make between 12 - 16 ounces each. The way I look at it, if you're going to the trouble of culturing and waiting, you might as well make it worth your while and make the full batch. But it's up to you.

Annak, I have a couple of recipes in that use the fermented tofu, but that doesn't work entirely as a probiotic. It does, however, give it a nice flavor for a "stinky" type of cheese.

Shushijung, here's a review of a few of my cheeses on Vegansaurus. http://vegansaurus.com/post/1671017875/ ... -di-bufala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:00 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Miyoko, is there a gluten-free alternative to the rejuvalac, or can it be fermented with another grain?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:04 pm 
Naked Under Apron

cupcake wrote:
Miyoko, is there a gluten-free alternative to the rejuvalac, or can it be fermented with another grain?

cupperz,
you can make rejuvelac with lots of grains including quinoa, brown rice and millet (here recipe is available through amazon's "search inside" gizmo, so i checked it out!

you better come over soon, so we can start playing with these recipes. my copy should be here any day!
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mine came...and all I can say is I don't even want to go back to work now, but I have to. Booo! Also, quinoa= fast rejuvelac. Rice, not so much.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Arg. I used a container too small and my rice just got funky instead of sprouty. Now I've readjusted the amounts and used quinoa, so hopefully things will go better. AND the stupid health food store I went to had no soy yogurt, so I couldn't get that started, either. I've even considered trying to cheat and start a yogurt culture using the flavored stuff (since I can get that in a regular grocery, just not the plain), but I imagine that wouldn't end well for cheese making.

I'm so excited about this book and I can't wait to get things lined up to start making stuff. I've almost decided to start with the Pub Cheddar...but I love nearly any sort of cheddar, so it's a hard pick between the three.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm starting with the chevre. Just two more days of letting it sit out. Can't wait!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vegimator wrote:
I'm starting with the chevre. Just two more days of letting it sit out. Can't wait!

Yay! Please post when you try it, I'm all giddy with cheeses.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:20 pm 

My quinoa has little sprouties! I'm so excited.

Is there a reason that you need to use a glass jar? Right now I'm just sprouting in a plastic Silk yogurt container and it seems to be fine. If I can find a glass jar tomorrow, I will transfer for making the actual rejuvelac, but I dunno how necessary it is.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:17 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I'm not a fan of plastic, especially if it's in a warm room. That's the real reason. But if plastic is all you have, use it!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:29 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

bekki wrote:
Arg. I used a container too small and my rice just got funky instead of sprouty. Now I've readjusted the amounts and used quinoa, so hopefully things will go better. AND the stupid health food store I went to had no soy yogurt, so I couldn't get that started, either. I've even considered trying to cheat and start a yogurt culture using the flavored stuff (since I can get that in a regular grocery, just not the plain), but I imagine that wouldn't end well for cheese making.

I'm so excited about this book and I can't wait to get things lined up to start making stuff. I've almost decided to start with the Pub Cheddar...but I love nearly any sort of cheddar, so it's a hard pick between the three.

No worries on not being able to find an unsweetened yogurt. Use the mildest flavored stuff you can find - vanilla or lemon- the amount is so little it won't matter in the end (but try not to use something like blueberry). For your next batch of yogurt, however, be sure to save some of the first batch to be the starter of the second. You can keep reusing each batch as the starter for your next. I once had a yogurt going for years. Not as organized now, so occasionally, I have to buy commercial soy yogurt as my starter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:36 pm 
Naked Under Apron

My book came! It looks really great. Quinoa rejuvelac is so fast!! My quinoa sprouted in one day, though at first I thought the germ that released in the soak were sprout tails, but then I figured it out. I hope I didn't mess it up though, I had to start with tap water, but once it sprouted, I've switched to bottled spring water. I need to get new filters for my Brita filter!!

I can't decide what to do first, but it's happening soon! Miyoko, did you play around with using anatto in any of the cheddars for color?

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:26 am 
Bathes in Braggs

For the mozz arella that I made a month ago, I used a rejuvelac recipe that doesn't require actual sprouting. Just soak the grains (I used quinoa) in water for 8 hours, rinse, cover with a few cups of water and wait a few days unil it is sufficiently fermented and starts to foam on top. Is there a difference in taste or bacterial content between rejuvelac from sprouted and merely soaked grains?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:34 am 

miyokoschinner wrote:
I'm not a fan of plastic, especially if it's in a warm room. That's the real reason. But if plastic is all you have, use it!

Thanks, miyoko! I don't know why it's so hard to find glass jars in my neighborhood. I thought it would be easy, but I went to all the grocery stores and hardware stores and no one had them. I'll definitely grab a few for next time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:24 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I don't buy glass jars, but I reuse them (tomato sauce jars, etc.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:26 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

kittee wrote:
My book came! It looks really great. Quinoa rejuvelac is so fast!! My quinoa sprouted in one day, though at first I thought the germ that released in the soak were sprout tails, but then I figured it out. I hope I didn't mess it up though, I had to start with tap water, but once it sprouted, I've switched to bottled spring water. I need to get new filters for my Brita filter!!

I can't decide what to do first, but it's happening soon! Miyoko, did you play around with using anatto in any of the cheddars for color?

xo
kittee

I have used anatto for color, but I think the nutritional yeast and miso give it a yellow-enough color. If you want it more orange, you can definitely use anatto.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:16 am 
Nooch of Earl

I just moved and had to buy grains (picked rye) to get my rejuvelac started, so I'm just waiting for sprouts right now. Feh. Wish I'd started sooner! I also had to order xanthan gum and carrageenan (thanks for the tip on Irish moss powder in the back, that made it easier to find in small quantities), and with any luck I'll be putting on my kaasboer hat by next week.

I'll probably start with non-melting Mozz and Pub Cheddar, though I'm also eyeing the Gouda.. I was thinking about all the variations I used to see when I lived in Holland, like caraway seeded and nettle..and that smoking it might be fun as well! (Probably easier to just add liquid smoke, though!) I also can't wait to try the fondue and the fauxgurt and..and...and...

Thanks, Miyoko, for monitoring this thread! The book arrived yesterday and it looks amazing, I can't wait to get started!! I thought I might be able to buy rejuvelac at Whole Foods but no luck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

annak wrote:

Thanks, Miyoko, for monitoring this thread! The book arrived yesterday and it looks amazing, I can't wait to get started!! I thought I might be able to buy rejuvelac at Whole Foods but no luck.

Yes, thank you! I know I've been full of questions and I really appreciate your responses. I got some mildly flavored yogurt and now have my nuts for that soaking. Oh, and my quinoa sprouted overnight, so I should be making cheese within a few days.

annak, where did you find cheaper/smaller amounts of Irish Moss? I want to be on the lookout for some more since I'm guessing mine may not last too long.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:47 am 
Nooch of Earl

I didn't do much shopping around but I found 1/4 lb on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Moss-Powder ... oss+powder

With shipping it's ~$11. Still a little crazy but less crazy than getting a couple pounds of it! I didn't try going to any brewing stores, though I probably should because I should probably make beer. But first, cheese.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 63  Next