| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Job hunt support thread.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:41 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I don't know, maybe this is not appropriate. And maybe it is. If not, please just lock it up.
I am back to looking for work. For a number of reasons. Not the least of which being that I no longer am challenged in my current position.
I have updated everything, I have signed up for most of the job hunt sites, and I am applying for everything.
But the last time I did this, I ran into more shady people than I care to remember.
How about you all?

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Post subject: Re: The Job hunt support thread.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:49 pm 
Naked Under Apron

It's the most frustrating thing ever. I've been hunting for over 6 months. At the moment I am at a low paying part time teaching job.
As for the job hunt, I get more shady offers than non-shady ones.

But,we've just got to stay patient and keep at it. We'll find something.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:53 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I've been hunting for a year and a half for anything that would pay me a living wage. I have a B.A with honors, a polished resume, a stable work history, and solid references.

Nothing.

Oh, Michigan.

Cheers, fellow searching friends! Our dream jobs are just around the corner, eh?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:30 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

dakini wrote:
I've been hunting for a year and a half for anything that would pay me a living wage. I have a B.A with honors, a polished resume, a stable work history, and solid references.

Nothing.

Oh, Michigan.

Cheers, fellow searching friends! Our dream jobs are just around the corner, eh?

Oh New York is no better.

My job is most likely going to be cut early next year and I have been looking since June.... and getting nowhere. It's just tough out there right now.

But hang in there everyone things have to get better at some point- don't they?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:10 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

On a much more amusing note... I posted a note in the resume section of craigslist. Because of that I get huge amounts of spam related to the job market. Now I just play with them. (I refuse to believe that is wrong).
For instance: I just received an e-mails saying that they looked at my resume and thing I am a good fit for something (they did not say, of course). However, I did not post a resume. So I e-mailed back asking if they were magic.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:14 am 
Has gasoline in her veins

I have a tip that has always worked for me, but maybe advice isn't the point of the thread....

If you apply somewhere that is hiring, KEEP CHECKING YOUR APPLICATION. Do it once a week (maybe every 4 days if you're desperate.) Don't call, go in and check with the managers. I used to worry about annoying the managers or other employees, but honestly that is what made me get every job I've ever had. It shows that you take initiative and care about actually working.

Don't give up, guys! I know you'll find something!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:39 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Good luck everyone!

I was trying to be more positive (had a horrible time last year) but last week confirmed for me for once and for all I cannot stay here for much longer, for my own mental health. So now I'm broadening my search and trying to apply to more stuff.

I hate that everyone is saying 'you can't just quit' because what is ultimately better? Being unemployed for a while or being terribly depressed and lack the energy to do anything but show up for work in the morning?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:16 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

fisticuffs, i'm of the belief that life is too short to be miserable, but I also have the 'luxury' of living with my parents because I haven't made enough money to move out yet. I felt free to quit my job because my store is closing in January anyway and I couldn't do another retail Christmas. (5am mornings, 1am nights? No thanks.)

I don't know if this is an option for anyone, but I was really depressed so I went back to school. The excess student loans help me a bit with living expenses, and the feeling that I'm learning things that will help me get a better job has been a big lift for me. I'd drop down to part time if I could find a full time job, but for now I'm just going to school and helping my cousin at her photo studio.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:41 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

fisticuffs wrote:
Good luck everyone!

I was trying to be more positive (had a horrible time last year) but last week confirmed for me for once and for all I cannot stay here for much longer, for my own mental health. So now I'm broadening my search and trying to apply to more stuff.

I hate that everyone is saying 'you can't just quit' because what is ultimately better? Being unemployed for a while or being terribly depressed and lack the energy to do anything but show up for work in the morning?

This is exactly why I am looking for a new job. Mine has left me crying at my desk more times than it ever should have. It is abusive and horrible. And I hate the people who say "a job is a job". Let them take mine then.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:24 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I've been told that my job is being eliminated, but my boss is generally decent and is trying to keep me here a little longer, ideally until I find something. Unfortunately, I seem to be running across things that pay the equivalent of $5 per hour less than I currently make, an amount I can't live on but may have to take anyway.

I've also had shady offers, including one that required me to fill out an online application which eventually led to a request that I provide them with a credit score from a very shady-looking website. I didn't do it - any reputable company that is interested in any part of my credit report checks that themselves and states on the application that they will be conducting a credit check.

My favorite application so far was an online application that asked if you have ever been convicted of a felony, misdemeanor, or traffic violation with a fine over $100 without giving any opportunity to explain the nature of the offense. I have had a couple of speeding tickets in recent years, so this apparently puts me in the same category as people who just got out of jail for armed robbery. (Please note that this job in no way involved driving.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:53 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

amethyst wrote:
I've been told that my job is being eliminated, but my boss is generally decent and is trying to keep me here a little longer, ideally until I find something. Unfortunately, I seem to be running across things that pay the equivalent of $5 per hour less than I currently make, an amount I can't live on but may have to take anyway.

I've also had shady offers, including one that required me to fill out an online application which eventually led to a request that I provide them with a credit score from a very shady-looking website. I didn't do it - any reputable company that is interested in any part of my credit report checks that themselves and states on the application that they will be conducting a credit check.

My favorite application so far was an online application that asked if you have ever been convicted of a felony, misdemeanor, or traffic violation with a fine over $100 without giving any opportunity to explain the nature of the offense. I have had a couple of speeding tickets in recent years, so this apparently puts me in the same category as people who just got out of jail for armed robbery. (Please note that this job in no way involved driving.)

last time I was on the market I sent resumes to just about anything in the paper or online. I got a call from a man telling me that he was starting up a mail order business and he needed what would amount to UPS support. From his home. At night. And could I also give him my social security number over the phone so he could run a credit check. I do believe I actually laughed at him.