| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UK shoes and clothes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:27 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I know there are big threads about this in The Mall, but I'm starting one here because I'm frustrated at seeing the exact shoes I want available in one shop in
Wisconsin, or something.

I need work appropriate shoes. I walk to work so they need to be super comfy, and ideally go with both trousers and skirts, but I'm happy to buy separate ones for skirts. Mid heel, brown. Could be wedge heel or block or even a little pointed one as long as they're comfy. Give me what you've got.

Post subject: Re: UK shoes and clothes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:00 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks for opening the discussion!!!!
I know how you feel: like, there are basically 5 or 6 shoeshops in Europe! :P
But, I assume you've already been to the shops in London and Brighton?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:01 pm 
Nailed to the V

(the ones mentionned there: http://www.veganlondon.co.uk/)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:29 am 
Tofu Pup

How much do you want to spend? Beyond Skin always has nice fancy shoes but expensive... I've never bought any. I used to like Bourgeois Boheme but that seems to have gone downhill lately... there is this pair: http://www.bboheme.com/index.php/woman/ ... -1423.html but only if you're a size 8.

Do you ever look at M+S? Sometimes they have stylish comfy vegan ones in the limited collection. Autograph and footglove are always leather but it's worth checking out if you live near a big store with a sizeable range.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:21 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Unhelpful post: Men have the same issue.

Vegetarian shoes sell endless amounts of supposedly smart shoes, which are completely unsuitable for use at work. Most look like they're school shoes, not office shoes. The best I've had were from Borgouis Boheme, but they ran out of stock long before they closed, otherwise I'd have bought several pairs to last the next few years.

My current 'make do' pair are from Vegetarian Shoes. They're just about passable at first glance - on second the pleather's a bit too shiny to look realistic. Their soles are completely smooth - no grip at all. They're meant to pick up grip over time, but I personally can't see the point of making shoes that you almost slip over in whilst trying them on in their shop.

How difficult can it be to make a smart looking, practical shoe?

Whilst I'm on my high horse - suits. Almost all non-wool suits in this country are cheap, marketed at people who can't afford wool. Linen suits crease like crazy and rarely come in black / dark colour. I was at Macys in the US last week and found loads of synthetic suits by well known brands (CK, RL, TH etc). Why are we so obsessed with leather, wool, silk and butter in this country?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:04 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I've had good luck with shoes in Indian shops around Tooting. Since most Hindu people are vegetarian you can find non leather shoes in these type of shops. There is a brand called Rocket Dog and those shoes are usually vegan. They make mens and womens, you can find them online and I think shops like Office sell them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:26 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've got a pair of brown suede shoes from Vegetarian Shoes and they pass both the "work shoe" and "nice shoe" benchmarks. The sole is, as you say, very smooth; it had a design on the bottom, rather than grip, most of which is worn away after three years. I haven't slipped over because of it, that I can remember.

They are pretty beautiful, and I wear them to non-work things too because they're just really good shoes.

However, I had to pick suede because the leather ones looked like, as you put it, school shoes.

Personally, I favour buying leather ones from charity shops over new plastic ones, especially at times in ones life when one cannot afford to spend £65 on work shoes. I've been told that it promotes the use of leather, but I can't see how wearing fake leather does any different, unless I carry round a placard saying "Actually, they are vegan! Isn't than wonderful!", which I tend not to do. It's not vegan, but it's recycling/reusing something and and it's contributing to a charity at the same time and that doesn't bother me, really.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:55 am 
Impressive boner

How about Blowfish shoes? They're man-made and go for silly cheap prices here:

http://www.mandmdirect.com/01/?Search=Blowfish&fh_sort_by=+mandmgbp_sellingprice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:42 am 
Tofu Pup

Don't know if there's something I'm missing veganism wise, but I find all the cheap regular women's clothes shops amazing for vegan shoes (Primark, New Look etc) and also local market stalls that have shoes under £25!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:25 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

M&S Limited Collection have got some great boots in - biker, wedge, knee etc. I have super wide feet and finding non leather + brick shaped is not fun but M&S seem to have cracked it. Material is good too, esp the biker ones.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:50 am 

Turtle Express wrote:
Don't know if there's something I'm missing veganism wise, but I find all the cheap regular women's clothes shops amazing for vegan shoes (Primark, New Look etc) and also local market stalls that have shoes under £25!

Glue. Plus cheap shoes tend to fall apart far quicker and end up being a false economy - if you can afford to it's better to pay 2x for shoes that last 3-4x longer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:59 am 
Nailed to the V

Mr Flibble wrote:
Turtle Express wrote:

Glue. Plus cheap shoes tend to fall apart far quicker and end up being a false economy - if you can afford to it's better to pay 2x for shoes that last 3-4x longer.

besides, it's usually not very fair trade either (although I must admit I happen to buy "just no leather" running shoes).
This said, to my opinion, second hand charity leather sounds at least not worse than cheap plastic from sweatshops.

I'm not satisfied with the brand "vegetarian shoes" either: expensive and unconfortable. But I could find McBeth in London recently and they are 100% neutral, confortable and appropriate for work. I'm quite happy with my NAE shoes, too, but I don't know if they are available in uk? (found in Spain, portuguese brand).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:03 am 
Nailed to the V

or:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:58 am 
Saggy Butt

Do you all know about this site?
http://www.fashion-conscience.com/
They have a great selection of labelled "vegan" bags and shoes. It also specifies that the products are made in factories vetted for ethical practices which I feel better about than say "New Look" and "Primark" which I'm a little distrustful of...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:09 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

greenknittinggal wrote:
Do you all know about this site?
http://www.fashion-conscience.com/
They have a great selection of labelled "vegan" bags and shoes. It also specifies that the products are made in factories vetted for ethical practices which I feel better about than say "New Look" and "Primark" which I'm a little distrustful of...
Oh, for flonkety plonk, why do none of these sites have any men's clothing ever? It doesn't say "for women" or anything on it... I'm going to boycott clothing altogether I think. That'll learn 'em.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:49 am 
Nailed to the V

ahahah! good idea! (although England/winter might not be the best place/time)

Anyway, thanks for this link, greenknittinggal, I had never heard of these brands!
Have you an opinion on Chinese Laudry?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:08 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Just resurrecting this because I'm selling my vegan DM's for £70, size 5. Link to the thread with more info here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:31 pm 

Mr Flibble wrote:

I'd like to say that this has changed, but it really hasn't.

Bourgois Boheme didn't launch a new range after all, Vegetarian Shoes still make Clarks school shoe analogues and the less said about Will's Vegan Shoes' mens collection the better!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mr Flibble wrote:
Mr Flibble wrote:

I'd like to say that this has changed, but it really hasn't.

Bourgois Boheme didn't launch a new range after all, Vegetarian Shoes still make Clarks school shoe analogues and the less said about Will's Vegan Shoes' mens collection the better!

Last I checked, their men's collection was 2 colours of the same shoe. There really isn't much you can say about it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:23 am 
Huffs Nooch

Wills have just yesterday put up a load of new mens style on their site. Some nice looking derby styles & desert boots. The photos of the work boot don't them justice - they are excellent.

Next seem to have quite a lot of non leather stuff in their mens range right now, boots & shoes. Obviously the quality of the materials, origin of the glues, labour practices etc might be an issue for some folks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:38 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Has anyone had any experience of vegan steel-toe capped boots? I need to buy some for work before mid-January and will only have limited time to visit London between now and then.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:53 am 
Inflexitarian

I have a pair of Vegetarian Shoes para boots (I think that's what they're called) that have steel toe caps. They just happened to come that way, I don't need them for anything work related so I couldn't say whether or not they're up to any kind of code, if that's an issue. They look cool, though. The edge of the steel toe cap bit dug in and made them slightly uncomfortable for about a week, but they have been fine since then. I'd advise ordering a size smaller than you usually wear.....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:08 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

That's good to know, thanks! As far as I know, the only specification is that they need to have steel toe caps, but I'll check if there are any regulations/certifications required just in case. I'll try and source a pair to try out when I'm down south later this month.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:40 am 
Tofu Pup

I've recently come across Good Guys Don't Wear Leather... A French company with some super shoes. For Men and Women... Expensive though! Have only looked so can't feedback quality/ service etc. http://goodguys.bigcartel.com/products