| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:57 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'm starting with the sharp cheddar, soaking cashews now! The quinoa rejuvelac was so easy to make! I need to get some yogurt at the store and get some going, so I can try more!

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:59 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My cashews are soaking, too! My rejuvelac is starting to look cloudy! Hopefully tomorrow morning I will be blending everything and then let the culturing begin!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:10 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I accidentally picked up some very sweet coconut flavored almond yogurt, but i am gonna use it anyway.

pakupaku
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

You guys are making me hanker for this cookbook, but I'm waiting for a digital version to be published so I can purchase it for my kindle. Are there any plans to publish it digitally, Miyoko?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:20 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

annak wrote:
I'm also eyeing the Gouda.. I was thinking about all the variations I used to see when I lived in Holland, like caraway seeded and nettle..and that smoking it might be fun as well! (Probably easier to just add liquid smoke, though!)

Good call! I want Fenugreek Gouda and pesto Gouda :-)
I've been craving this traditional Dutch casserole where you cover steamed heads of Belgian endive in aged Gouda cheese, sprinkle breadcrumbs over the cheese and bake it so it has a crisp crust with and oozy gooey soft cheezy endive mess underneath. Serve with crumbly boiled potatoes and you're in Dutch heaven (minus the dairy cows obviously).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just got my meltable cheddar mixed up and even straight out of the blender it is pretty tasty so I can't wait to see what it's like tomorrow! And my rejuvelac was cloudy and bubbly this morning, quinoa was shooting up halfway up the jar when I moved it. I'm going to let it hand a few more hours to make sure it's good and ready, though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:29 am 
Nailed to the V

Amazon.ca sucks. if it wasn't for the incredible pre-order price i got it at, I'd cancel it and try to find it somewhere else. It's pushed back the shipping date to the middle of September.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Do all of the recipes need soy yogurt? It requires a pretty long travel time for me to get to a store that sells it, so I'm just curious. Everything sounds so good!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:51 am 

Nope! Most of them don't and there are instructions for making your own yogurt for the recipes that do need it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:50 pm 
Naked Under Apron

double posting like whoa.

pakupaku

Last edited by kittee on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:51 pm 
Naked Under Apron

lobsteriffic wrote:
Do all of the recipes need soy yogurt? It requires a pretty long travel time for me to get to a store that sells it, so I'm just curious. Everything sounds so good!

actually, I think at least half and probably more ask for yogurt? at least that's how i felt when i was looking through it last night. but yea, miyoko has a recipe for yogurt in the book, and then once you get that mixed up, you can keep using it to make your next batch. i made some yesterday and it set up really well! i was worried it wouldn't because the recipe says to leave it for 4-8 hours and at 4 hours mine was utter liquid, so i just went to bed. i know i left mine a lot longer than i should have, but this morning it was super thick and ready to go! pretty neat--easiest yogurt recipe by far i've ever made.

xo
kittee

pakupaku

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

kittee wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

actually, I think at least half and probably more ask for yogurt? at least that's how i felt when i was looking through it last night. but yea, miyoko has a recipe for yogurt in the book, and then once you get that mixed up, you can keep using it to make your next batch. i made some yesterday and it set up really well! i was worried it wouldn't because the recipe says to leave it for 4-8 hours and at 4 hours mine was utter liquid, so i just went to bed. i know i left mine a lot longer than i should have, but this morning it was super thick and ready to go! pretty neat--easiest yogurt recipe by far i've ever made.

xo
kittee

This is basically what happened to me, except I woke up in the middle of the night and freaked out and checked it. It just nice and thick, and I have two batches of cheese going. And nuts soaking for a third.

Honestly, I'm excited over the ones that just call for yogurt because using homemade makes those cheeses much less expensive than the cashew based ones!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:16 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just tried a taste of the cashew chevre (before the final step of putting it into the fridge to chill). It's delicious! Super tangy and the perfect texture. In six hours I will be eating the hell out of it on crackers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:40 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I have the sharp cheddar culturing on my counter right now for the second day. After I was done scooping it out of my blender, I started licking the sides of the blender clean! It already tastes good. I can only imagine what it tastes like after I'm done and I've let it age a while...

It made the whole kitchen smell like cheese while I was blending, my boyfriend was kinda freaked out. haha.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:46 am 

Does anyone have experience with using iota and or kappa carrageenan? I was doing some molecular gastronomy experiments a while ago and I have iota and kappa. I'm not sure what type is best for this stuff? i tried to search online to see what type "regular" carrageenan is, but I couldn't find anything. I was thinking of just using half of each?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:52 am 

Ignore me! It says in the glossary to use Kappa!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Ignore me! It says in the glossary to use Kappa!

Well, crepe, I have Iota...I ordered it before the book came so I couldn't have known. I'll keep that in mind next time I order. Something tells me my little 3 oz pouch will not last too long.

Anyway, I just came to report on the two complete (or almost complete) cheeses I have. Melting mozzarella and melting cheddar. Both were good before they were cooked, but still tasted a little like their component parts. Especially the cheddar, I could really taste nooch and miso. But after cooking, whoa. The cheddar is cooling but I was scraping it out of the pan and just eating it...until the kid came and stole my spatula.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:47 pm 

Let me know how it goes with the Iota since I have a bag of that, too. if it works out ok, I'll use it. I just started culturing the sharp cheddar. I'm so excited! Right outta the food processor it definitely just tastes like nooch and miso. I can't wait to see what happens to it.

What did you cover your bowl with while culturing the cheese on the counter? I know it's dumb, but it doesn't say if it should be cheese cloth or plastic wrap or what? I just have it covered with some parchment and a rubberband because i thought that plastic wrap might encourage bad bacteria, but i dunno.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:54 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'm planning to use agar powder since the two cheeses I have going--the sharp cheddar and the air dried cheddar say you can use it. I am having trouble staying out of the sharp cheddar bowl, because it is utterly delicious and very finger scoopable. Pretty dangerous stuff.

ijustdiedinside wrote:

What did you cover your bowl with while culturing the cheese on the counter? I know it's dumb, but it doesn't say if it should be cheese cloth or plastic wrap or what? I just have it covered with some parchment and a rubberband because i thought that plastic wrap might encourage bad bacteria, but i dunno.

I have my sharp cheddar in a bowl tuncked inside a nut cheese bag, and it's definitely been getting a thick skin on it, but it tastes great. I put the air dried cheddar in a pyrex bowl, with a small plate on top.

xo
kittee

pakupaku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:50 am 

Thanks, Kittee! I think my rubberbanded parchment should work well then.

I keep tasting my sharp cheddar, too! I can't wait till it's done! I've decided I'm going to put it in two molds and save one for when I get back from my vacation in a month because I'm really curious to see how it tastes after that long.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm molding mine in mini loaf pans which is working nicely. I hadn't thought about the plastic...so far I've covered mine in plastic wrap and been fine, but I may change that going forward.

My full updates are as follows:

Melting mozzarella: very tasty but I need to learn to work with it. I had it on pizza and it got soft, but didn't truly "melt." I think I need to slice it thinner next time.

Melting Cheddar: so, so good. At least it was on my tofu scramble. Once more, I cut it too large, so it wasn't really a cheesy scramble as much as a scramble with random cheese chunks. Big, melty, tasty chunks of cheese. I cannot wait to make a grilled cheese for lunch.

Pub Cheddar: this is so freaking good, and it hasn't even hung out in the fridge the full 24 hours. It's beer-y and cheesy. Mine is extremely soft and spreadable, but that may be a result of my Iota Carageenan. I really want to figure out something great to make with it, but I have a feeling this one is destined to just be gobbled up with crackers...my husband seems to love it.

I should also note that I have mellow white miso, which she clearly says not to use. However, I had a large container that had not even been opened, so I couldn't justify buying a whole new tub of different miso since I rarely use the stuff. This means mine are slightly sweeter and milder than they probably would be with the brown, but I'm okay with that. I do think at some point I may try out the cheddar using red miso. I know the instructions say not to use that kind, but I could see it being good. (But I won't blame the book if it's a disaster!)

Anyone wanna move to a cashew farm with me?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:07 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

^ I think you just sold me on this, Bekki.

BUT, are any of you using regular blenders? I know Miyoko said there were directions for that, I think, but I'm curious if any of you are actually doing that or if you all have Vitamix-type blenders.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:10 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I should ahve posted an update- the cashew chevre was great out of the mold. I may have not added quite enough liquid to it because it came out pretty dense and a little dry, but it's still really good and the sharp flavor is perfect. I'm more than halfway through eating that pound already.

Oh, and I do have a fancy blender (blendtec).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:12 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Amy wrote:
BUT, are any of you using regular blenders? I know Miyoko said there were directions for that, I think, but I'm curious if any of you are actually doing that or if you all have Vitamix-type blenders.

I'm using a vitamix. But if you soak for the longer period that Miyoko gives in each recipe, you should be ok. My old blender could have handled well soaked cashews with no problem...

xo
kittee

pakupaku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:26 pm 

I soaked the cashews for 24 hours (jumped the gun on the soaking a little) and then used my food processor and its really smooth. I know my blender probably couldn't handle it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 62  Next