| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: What would you like to see in my new cookbook?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:32 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm really looking forward to a cookbook filled with weeknight recipes and lots of photos.

My requests: Casseroles and loaves (like nutloaves and such).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:18 am 
Crazy bat lady

Something I don't think I mentioned in my other post in this thread is a rocking index. I want to be able to find Creamy Asparagus Pasta under pasta, silken tofu, and asparagus. Indexes that are cross-referenced by major ingredient make me very, very happy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:30 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Some quick dinners for one. I make 2 dinners at the weekend then freeze 3 servings of each for dinners during the week but occasionally I am a silly mare and forget to take something out of the freezer for that night. I tend to be low on time after I get home from work so don't have the time to be messing around for 2 hours in the kitchen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:24 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

for those of you that have a hard time guesstimating weight when given in a recipe, buy a small postal scale.
i have one that i bought to keep track of my guinea pigs' weights and i also now use it for cooking (like when a recipe i was making yesterday called for a pound of powdered sugar rather than how many cups, that was weird, what recipe does that with sugar?)
cause i would have no clue what a pound of mushrooms would look like either!

you can put a bowl on the scale, press the tare button to zero the weight out, then add whatever it is you need to measure and VOILA!

i also use the scales at the grocery store in the produce section but that requires some forethought on my part which usually doesnt happen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:27 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Kelvia wrote:
Something I don't think I mentioned in my other post in this thread is a rocking index. I want to be able to find Creamy Asparagus Pasta under pasta, silken tofu, and asparagus. Indexes that are cross-referenced by major ingredient make me very, very happy.

yes!!! i dont know how much work that entails for an author (sorry) but i couldnt agree more.
most of the time i forget what a recipe was called so i have to look it up by a main ingredient.
it's also good for say when your garden pops out 1000 zucchini's at a time (ie not my garden) and you just want to look up zucchini recipes :-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Isn't a kitchen scale like a normal kitchen tool?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:58 pm 
Inflexitarian

I don't know if this was mentioned already, but kid-friendly foods would be awesome. I haven't been cooking as much lately (OK, hardly at all) because every time I do, all I get are whiny kids saying, "I don't like this, I want something else!"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:45 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I own a LOT of cookbooks so I am mainly interested in a book that doesn't duplicate what I already have.

To that end, what I'd love to see is:
- A quick start guide. You know how sometimes when you open up an appliance there's a big boring manual with lots of info and a little one-page thing telling you the bare minimum you need to get started right away? IMO every cookbook should have something similar to that. Just a "here are a couple unique recipes that are really great and use ingredients you probably already have lying around the house; why don't you try them first?" or a "hey, pick these up at the grocery store and you'll be able to get started with these recipes" or even a shopping list for one dinner meal I can make this very night if I get my butt to the store by 4pm. Just a little one or two page motivational thing to get me to cook something right away out of a cookbook, because in my experience, either I'll buy it and make a million things right away or I'll put it off a week and then I just never use it very much.

- As yet another person with a toddler and a husband who works unpredictable hours and just in general not having a ton of free time or a ton of control over my time, I have to say yes yes yes to more casserole type things. But not the kind of casseroles where you basically have to make two or more separate recipes, THEN layer them in a baking dish, THEN bake that for 45 minutes.. There's a place for these, like when I double them and future me loves past me, that's fine... But what I really want for a weeknight is to throw a bunch of stuff in a baking dish without a bunch of pre-cooking. Like 40 Clove Chickpeas, or some of the Vegan on the Cheap (Robin Robertson) casseroles like tortilla strata and baked ziti. Or something I can throw in my rice cooker (tonight's meal was a box of jambalaya mix, chopped onion, pepper, seitan, and celery, all thrown in the rice cooker).

- Maybe tips on expanding a dish to be a one-pot meal, or contracting it to be a side. A lot of weekdays I just don't feel like making a ton of stuff, so if I bother to make a salad, it's getting some protein and grain thrown in and maybe an avocado to make it more filling. Can that pilaf get a veggie or two plus some seitan to turn it into a filing one dish meal? Suggest combos!

- PANTRY recipes, clearly marked as such. I would love a chapter of recipes that I can make with ONLY nonperishable and/or freezer ingredients. Get crazy with canned beans and mori-nu please! There are so many days when I'm willing to cook but just don't have the energy/compliant toddler to make it to a grocery store. Give me a bunch of ideas for can of beans + pasta or rice + freezer bag of mixed vegetables and I will start the church of Isa. Mixes I can do up ahead are awesome too - like in those meal in a jar type books, where you throw some rice and dried veggies and spices into a ziplock, then write "bring to boil with 1c water, simmer for 20 min" or whatever in a sharpie. Basically, I love recipes that give me something to make when I feel like I have no food in the house.

- Expensive fancy-pants ingredients that I will only use for one recipe ever should be kept to a minimum. I feel like they generally are in your cookbooks, though! That is awesome.

- Fairly hearty and substantial lunches I can make for husband (to pack) and myself (to eat at home later) in <15 minutes. My current rut is basically: seitan cheesesteaks, tofu po' vegans, green salads w/ various fixings and a tub of dressing, asian noodles (peanut or teriyaki) w/ veg and tofu/seitan, or leftovers from the night before.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:13 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Lately I'm not eating well at work (too busy in the morning to prepare something/way too busy at work to go out), so I would LOVE some more recipes that taste good cold and used as leftovers. We do have a microwave but I don't swing that way, and I like the taste of some dishes-- all salads, some curries, tofu dishes, and veg side dishes cold. So go ahead and heed my specific and selfish request. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:29 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

In honour of the forum, would you please create a recipe for a shiitake, peas and asparagus bisque?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:03 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Gulliver wrote:
In honour of the forum, would you please create a recipe for a shiitake, peas and asparagus bisque?

With a crepe or croissant on the side.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:27 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Gulliver wrote:

this is an amazing idea!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:00 am 
Saggy Butt

I don't know whether it's too late, but I am a total failure as a vegan, and I need all of the help I can get. Besides being too lazy to cook three times a day, which often leads to bad things happening, such as cheesecake and pizza somehow ending up inside my mouth, my biggest vice is Doritos. I would like fast, easy, and cheap one dish meals, easy snack and sack lunch ideas that don't necessarily need refrigeration, and vegan Doritos please! :o)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Late to the party here I think, but CAKE!
Also lots of options on recipes. I love recipes which are a base for experimentation. So a basic reliable recipe and options for a Thai version, one with lots of spice, one that looks impressive for a party.
Talking of which I'd love some posh looking recipes for feeding to people if they come over for supper.
And yes- shiitake and asparagus recipe too, in a crepe!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

definitely menu ideas on how to combine sides + main into a complete meal

not a lot of specialty ingredients that are pricey, hard to find, and most likely won't get used a lot

"quick" weeknight dinner ideas that still use a lot of fresh ingredients

i would love lots of lunch ideas, besides just taking leftover

super excited for fall 2013 and your new cookbook!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:35 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Miss Jayme Kat wrote:
I don't know whether it's too late, but I am a total failure as a vegan, and I need all of the help I can get. Besides being too lazy to cook three times a day, which often leads to bad things happening, such as cheesecake and pizza somehow ending up inside my mouth, my biggest vice is Doritos. I would like fast, easy, and cheap one dish meals, easy snack and sack lunch ideas that don't necessarily need refrigeration, and vegan Doritos please! :o)

Hee, there are vegan Doritos and there are also Tias which are yummy and don't have anything chemically or weird in them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:41 pm 
Saggy Butt

There are vegan Doritos?! *faints*

Thank you. I will start looking!

ETA: Yay! They have Tias at Dillons!

Last edited by Miss Jayme Kat on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The Sweet Chili flavor are vegan; they are gross. Everybody else here seems to love them though, so I guess I'm just an oddball.

There are some other brands of tortilla chips that make various salsa flavors that are sometimes vegan.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:56 pm 
Saggy Butt

Thank you. I'll give the Sweet Chili a try if I see them. I just ate seaweed, so I should be able to handle gross Doritos, right?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Seaweed is delicious though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:59 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm trying to learn to like seaweed. The sea is just so far from Kansas that it's really hard not to find anything remotely fishy or oceany, well, stinky! I'm hoping that if I keep eating it, seaweed will grow on me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

What are you doing with it? The deconstructed sushi salad in Appetite for Reduction is a great use of toasted nori. Or, sushi is always nice.

The hijiki chickpea salad in VWaV is yummy too.

I don't really randomly munch on seawed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:19 pm 
Saggy Butt

I sauteed hijiki with carrot, onion, and cabbage with soy sauce, maple syrup, and lemon juice. I put some soba noodles and sesame seeds in it, too. I was going by a recipe in Chloe's Kitchen, but I added the cabbage and noodles to cut the fishy taste a bit, because I can't handle hijiki full throttle yet.

Deconstructed sushi salad sounds awesome, by the way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:32 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

A soy-free ice cream recipe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:22 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

amonik wrote:
A soy-free ice cream recipe.

Use coconut cream instead! Its fat content is calibrated for maximum deliciousness.

I really like it when recipes give you a basic recipe and then a load of variations.

I really like the layout in your books, by the way. It bothers me when every other page is pictures (as opposed to a clump of pictures in the middle of all the best things), which a lot of "celebrity" cookery books tend to have. There's something lovely and clean about the Veganomicon. It's fuss-free, which is what I like.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next