| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tights!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:36 am 
Double double, toil and trouble

I love wearing skirts and dresses with boots in the winter, but I'm having trouble finding tights that are comfortable enough to wear all day long while I'm at school. I recently bought a couple of pairs of warm, cute Merona tights from Target, but they're so tight in the stomach! I bought the mediums, which are supposed to fit a weight range of 130-175 lbs and a height range of 5'5"-5'11". I'm around 147 lbs at 5'5", and both pairs dig into my gut, even when pulled up to the smallest part of my waist. This means I can't wear them with anything fitted, because they make my belly look super weird. Does anyone else have this problem? Any recommendations for brands that aren't so painfully small at the waist?

Post subject: Re: Tights!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:44 am 
Cranky

Sock Dreams! I just bought some bamboo tights from them and I love them to death! They have an articulated heel, too. Awesomeness.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:00 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My favorite tights are made of bamboo too! They are really warm and comfortable. Mine are from American Apparel though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:06 pm 

Dr. Apricot wrote:
Sock Dreams! I just bought some bamboo tights from them and I love them to death! They have an articulated heel, too. Awesomeness.

Thanks! Funnily enough, I recently received my first order from Sock Dreams: a pair of arm warmers and a pair of legwarmers! I really like both of them, although I was actually a little concerned about ordering tights from SD because while the legwarmers I ordered are really warm, I can't wear them pulled up as pictured here: http://www.sockdreams.com/products/sock ... eg-warmers. They're waaay longer on me than they are on her, and they're too tight around my thighs, so they roll down to my knees after taking two or three steps (I've been wearing 'em scrunched down, though, and they're really cute that way, as well). Anyway, that purchase made me a little concerned that their tights would also be too tight around the top, but I'm glad to hear you like them! Maybe I'll order a pair of the bamboo ones. I love these: http://www.sockdreams.com/products/sock ... ond-tights.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:24 pm 
Cranky

chop_socky wrote:
Maybe I'll order a pair of the bamboo ones. I love these: http://www.sockdreams.com/products/sock ... ond-tights.

I have those and the black ones, and I don't find them constricting at all. I'm smaller than I used to be, but I still don't think they'd be really tight up top. I think they'll wear really well. I've worn the black ones a handful of times, and the gray ones once.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:26 pm 
ugh

I really like the knit thigh highs from American Apparel. They're the only thigh highs I've ever owned that stay up on their own, and they're quite warm.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:10 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Maggie's Organics make nice, thick tights that aren't constricting. I'll be watching this thread, as I love tights too!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:22 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I got like slimming, control top type tights. They are like shapewear. Actually more like leggings, but anyways they go all the way up to my boobs practically and they are really comfortable! There is no digging in cuz it covers and smooths all my lucious lumps and rolls. So thought I'd throw that out as an option.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Abelskiver wrote:
I got like slimming, control top type tights. They are like shapewear. Actually more like leggings, but anyways they go all the way up to my boobs practically and they are really comfortable! There is no digging in cuz it covers and smooths all my lucious lumps and rolls. So thought I'd throw that out as an option.

I'm totally a sucker for these too.

As for more normal types, I really like DKNY. I've bought the super thick tights ($20?) from Sock Dreams before, and they lasted a year before holes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:58 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yet another reason why I need PayPal (Sock Dreams)...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:06 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

yeah, i also have a problem finding tights that are comfortable on the stomach. i'm about 120lbs and i'm 5'6". i'm always in both the small or medium size spectrum, so i go for medium hoping they'll feel better on the tummy area. are there really such thing as comfortable tights? i always assumed people just kind of deal with the slight uncomfortableness of it all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:17 pm 

procrastinatingcook wrote:
i always assumed people just kind of deal with the slight uncomfortableness of it all.

Me too, and I'm totally willing to endure a minimal degree of discomfort, particularly since I know I'm particularly sensitive to restricting clothing (I can't stand anything high-waisted, and I only wear jeans that have stretch). But the tights I recently purchased are mega uncomfortable, to the point that I hate sitting down because I feel like they're squishing my innards!

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I'mma put some of these on my X-mas list and give 'em a try!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:37 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm happy with the tights I've gotten from We Love Colors. They come in plus sizes too.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:35 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

bunniee wrote:
I'm happy with the tights I've gotten from We Love Colors. They come in plus sizes too.

I was just coming here to say that! I haven't ordered from them yet but I plan to.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:19 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm sort of having the opposite problem. I have some really nice thick warm tights that seem to have very little elastic in the waist and feel like they are going to fall down. I think I need tights suspenders.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I really like the Jessica brand tights (I think its exclusively Sears?), I think they were made from bamboo too and were really comfy. I'm skinny but there's tons of room in them, I usually have to fold down the waist a few times so its more snug.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:31 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I'm sort of having the opposite problem. I have some really nice thick warm tights that seem to have very little elastic in the waist and feel like they are going to fall down. I think I need tights suspenders.

Yeah I have two pairs like this! They are good otherwise. I wear underwear over the top as well to try and keep them up.
I like my Falke pair the best, I'd buy from them again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:20 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Are bamboo tights sturdy? I always put holes in the toes of my tights, even my cotton ones (though in their defense, I've had some of the cotton ones for years).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

JCPenney is my favorite for tights. They are ALWAYS on sale and dirt-cheap to begin with, and they seem to be the most comfortable I've found.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:33 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I have the same problem. I'm about 5'7" and 125 pounds, and need to buy the next size up in tights. And a lot of the time, they dig into my waist anyways, and make me look like a roll if I wear anything fitted. So frustrating. Maybe I'll have to invest in some quality tights, rather than the cheap ones that I generally buy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:26 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

The only tights I have ever been really happy with (since the 90's!) are Mondor tights. The opaque, cotton ones.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:45 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I recently got a pair of organic leggings from Gap that I absolutely love. They are soooo soft and fit me really well around the middle.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:08 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I just bought a pair of Thermal tights (Jessica) from Sears. I have only tried them on, but man oh man, the inside is lined with a fine fleece.
They felt fine on my waist, but they only come in two sizes, so maybe I'm lucky they fit me. I'm going to buy the legging, because I think these will be fab for winter!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:04 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

b.vicious wrote:
I really like the knit thigh highs from American Apparel. They're the only thigh highs I've ever owned that stay up on their own, and they're quite warm.

Love these! I'm fairly short (5'3'') so they go all the way up to the very top of my leg - just like wearing tights except without the top, and they are really warm. They never fall down on me either, they have extra elastic on the ribbed top part.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:06 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I have a hard time with tights too and since I am curvy there is no trying to wear anything form fitted. I always wear tights with the waistband on my hips, it seems to be the most comfortable way. I just fold the top down and over...I usually pair tights with little babydolls or empire waisted dress so you can't see the love handles that the tights enhance.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/