| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Classic films anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:52 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Don't forget about Rebel Without a Cause. We went to Griffith Observatory in LA just to see James Dean's statue. Also love West Side Story, continuing on the Natalie Wood train. Chinatown was made in 1974, but it's so noir-y that it fits in with all the Hitchcock, which I was obsessed with for a long while.

From the '60s and earlier I also love Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, It's a Wonderful Life (I appreciate this more the older I get), Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Graduate, The Manchurian Candidate (love how evil Angela Lansbury is in that), Cool Hand Luke (Paul Newman at his most attractive), Dr. Strangelove, Bonny and Clyde, and Wait Until Dark (so, so good!).

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:07 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Angelina wrote:
"North by Northwest" and "Notorious" are my favorites...I love Cary Grant.

Oh yes, those are 2 of my favorite classic films. I also love The Thin Man, Spellbound, M, The Blue Angel, Notorious, Gaslight, Orpheus, and more I can't think of right now.

I like the German language version of Blue Angel better than the English one even though I don't speak a word of German. It just seems more authentic and better acted, although I admire the actors & director for making the movie in both English and German.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:11 pm 
WRETCHED

Imitation of Life was one of my favorite movies growing up (the 1950s version)

I loved Hitchcock fillms as well and the Lucille Ball/Desi Arnaz comedies.

I also liked historical films and even the biblical ones. The Song of Bernadette specifically comes to mind.

It is from the late 60s which may not be classic but Anne of 1000 days is another favorite of mine.

I always thought of classic films as 1940s and earlier though, not sure I have any favorite films fom those time periods. Or maybe a certain feel that is more prevalent in those time periods at least.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:20 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

As for actual old movies (so you don't think I only watch Roland Emmerich movies):
I don't think they have to be as old as 1940 to be considered classics. Maybe 1960 and under? When movies could still be black and white.
Sullivan's Travels
You Can't Take It With You
Bringing Up Baby
The Apartment
Arsenic and Old Lace
Meet Me in St. Louis
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Some Like it Hot
I really liked Shirley Temple movies and Andy Hardy movies as a kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:35 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

To ijustdieinside: Yes, I generally watch movies from the 1920's to 1960's. I love all of the movies you mentioned! I love Jimmy Stewart and Jean Arthur in You Can't Take It With You! I also love Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn together! :)

To bunniee: I absolutely love Spellbound! Gregory Peck is so great in that movie! That and To Kill A Mockingbird are my favorites of his! :)

To Kara: I love Rebel Without A Cause! East of Eden is my favorite James Dean movie though, haha. West Side Story is a favorite of mine as well! I absolutely love Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and It's A Wonderful Life! Those two movies along with Harvey are among the top of my favorite's for Jimmy Stewart! You mentioned great movies, and I really like them all! Mmm, Paul Newman does look fantastic in Cool Hand Luke doesn't he? haha :P

To Celyn: I love the ones you mentioned as well, especially All ABout Eve and Sunset Boulevard! :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:57 am 
WRETCHED

Oh I liked Bringing up Baby and definitely the Shirley Temple movies. I used to watch a bit of AMCwhen I was young, when almost all their movies were black & white.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:21 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Rebel Without a Cause is good, and I love The Manchurian Candidate! The Graduate makes me cringe. Another good movie I haven't seen mentioned yet is 12 Angry Men. I also really enjoyed British Intelligence (Karloff!).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Cleopatra is my second favorite film (the first is The Wizared of Oz), and i really love Bridge Over The River Kwai, too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:47 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Gone with the Wind is my fave movie, and I just recently watched Cleopatra for the first time and LOVED it

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:40 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I will so stalk this thread later. I love old films! The bf and I probably watch more old things than new ones. My favorite is To Catch a Thief, and I recently added Some Like It Hot to that absolute love. Charade is also great.

I.Love.Cary.Grant. Jimmy Stewart is working his way in to my heart as well. I've got total girl crushes on Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly.

I've been watching quite a few Carole Lombard films because I got a mini box set for totally cheap. My My Godfrey is a total hoot as is Destry Rides Again (no Lombard but hilarious). Oh, and it is a little later but Sophia Loren is crazy in Arabesque. (A spy thing from '66 also with Gregory Peck.) How can you not like something with the tag 'Ultra Mod. Ultra Mad. Ultra Mystery' ?!

Edit: I just saw bunniee's post. How can I forget classic German cinema?! M, Nosferatu, Das Cabinet des Dr Caligari. So influential to the growth of cinema and suspense! If you can get ahold of it, Die Legende von Paul und Paula is a total East German kitsch-fest. Part of my appreciation may come from being a double major with German in undergrad and getting to take a German film class...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:59 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

simplybecause81 wrote:
Edit: I just saw bunniee's post. How can I forget classic German cinema?! M, Nosferatu, Das Cabinet des Dr Caligari. So influential to the growth of cinema and suspense! If you can get ahold of it, Die Legende von Paul und Paula is a total East German kitsch-fest. Part of my appreciation may come from being a double major with German in undergrad and getting to take a German film class...

You forgot Metropolis. I'll have to keep an eye out for this Die Legende von Paul and Paula.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I always liked The Big Sleep but the plot was always so convoluted. Then I read the book and realized how many hoops they went through to shoehorn the plot into a code-friendly format. If you have the chance, read the book and watch the film again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:20 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I never get tired of watching North by Northwest or Rear Window. Ooh, and The Trouble with Harry.

I generally wouldn't consider 70s/80s films in this discussion, but since that barrier was already broken, I'll add Jaws, John Carpenter's The Thing, and the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

Did anyone mention *It Happened One Night? One of my faves. So is My Man Godfrey, but it's been mentioned.

If you like silent films, I recommend Sunrise. Even though it was made in, like, 1927 and is silent, the cinematography is stunning (for me Sunrise is right up there with any modern day cinematographic masterpiece) and it's a straight up great movie and one of my favorites.

*Already mentioned. I just got back from vacay and my brain is bamboozled with relaxation and isn't quite used to paying attention yet!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:17 pm 
WELFARIST!

Dinner At Eight (1933) is fun and for Jean Harlow especially.

I like to watch Grand Hotel (1932) because it's a star-gazing feast. I don't remember much about the movie itself, though.

For Hitchcock, another movie I enjoy is Strangers on a Train. Robert Walker is all masterfully creepy 'n' stuff.

Vantine wrote:
Pre-code talkies and 70's horror are just about all I watch.

Race with the Devil and Let's Scare Jessica To Death are very enjoyable from the 70s horror/psychological thriller genre.

And yes, I love the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers!

And the original Carrie (1976), too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:51 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm a huge fan of classic & Foreign films, here's some of my favorites in no particular order:

Silent Film Favs
Sunrise (1927, Murnau)
The General (1927, Keaton)
The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928, Dreyer)
The Crowd (1928, Vidor)
Metropolis (1927, Lang)
Pandora's Box (1929, Pabst)
City Lights (1931, Chaplin)
The Big Parade (1925, Vidor)

Hollywood Film Favs
The Lady Eve (1941, Sturges)
The Best Years of Our Lives (1946, Wyler)
Stagecoach (1939, Ford)
Casablanca (1942, Curtiz)
The Night of the Hunter (1955, Laughton)
Out Of The Past (1947, Tourneur)
It Happened One Night (1934, Capra)
The Apartment (1960, Wilder)
Shadow of a Doubt (1943, Hitchcock)
Paths of Glory (1957, Kubrick)

Foreign Film Favs
Life of Oharu (1952, Mizoguchi)
Au Hasard Balthazar (1966, Bresson)
Wild Strawberries (1957, Bergman)
La Dolce Vita (1960, Fellini)
Mirror (1974, Tarkovsky)
Ikiru (1952, Kurosawa)
Brief Encounter (1945, Lean)
Landscape in the Mist (1988, Angelopoulos)
Late Spring (1949, Ozu)
In the Mood for Love (2000, Kar Wai)
Cinema Paradiso (1988, Tornatore)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:49 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Just watched Libeled Lady. Jean Harlow, Spencer Tracy, and William Powell. Wow. Never knew Powell and Harlow had a real life romance until I searched it after watching. Such a hilarious screwball. I think the boyfriend is getting a man crush on William Powell...