| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: should i change my name?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:24 pm 
Saggy Butt

I added my maiden name as a second middle name and didn't have to go to court or anything...so maybe that's an option for people who don't want to go through that hassle?

My credit cards are still under my maiden name because my bank is such a pain about it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:34 pm 
Inflexitarian

I didn't have the same last name as my mother, or anyone in my family for that matter. It was fine! And I grew up in the 80's/90's in the Midwest. So really, it's not a big deal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

paprikapapaya wrote:
Yeah, I didn't pay anything! Of course, I'm in a different country, but the only expense I incurred was gas to drive around from government office to government office for an afternoon to do it. The driver's license office, social insurance office, health card office...are all in different parts of the city.

You have to go separate places for your SIN card and your health card? I was just thinking about all the cards I'd need to get changed if I were to change my name. I'm pretty sure the Service Canada building in my city does Care Cards and SIN cards. Does it vary by province? (I'm not originally from here, so I'm not always up-to-date on differences between provinces!)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:19 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

bodhi wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
Yeah, I didn't pay anything! Of course, I'm in a different country, but the only expense I incurred was gas to drive around from government office to government office for an afternoon to do it. The driver's license office, social insurance office, health card office...are all in different parts of the city.

You have to go separate places for your SIN card and your health card? I was just thinking about all the cards I'd need to get changed if I were to change my name. I'm pretty sure the Service Canada building in my city does Care Cards and SIN cards. Does it vary by province? (I'm not originally from here, so I'm not always up-to-date on differences between provinces!)

When I lost all my ID (UGH), I have to go to two different places for my SIN card and Care Card. That was in Vancouver. It took foreeeeeeeever in line for my SIN card. Care Card was mailed to me but it was still super annoying. My wallet was stolen a month before I was going to fly to Tokyo, and my passport was in there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:52 am 
WRETCHED

I don't remember having to go to a SS office for a new card, I got one in the mail.

Also, your maiden name is still a valid legal name. I was too lazy to change certain things over, like a mortgage I had.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:39 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

bodhi wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

Yeah, in different buildings across town. Perhaps it varies by city? It's probably because the social insurance building doesn't really have room for the health card offices, so they had to put it in another available building. And then, of course, anything related to cars and driving, they have to make as inconvenient as possible so it's in an office on the outskirts of the city.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:18 am 
Nailed to the V

linanil wrote:
I don't remember having to go to a SS office for a new card, I got one in the mail.

Also, your maiden name is still a valid legal name. I was too lazy to change certain things over, like a mortgage I had.

I think I had to go to the office because I had to bring my court documents with me. I can't remember now!

Yeah, I know it's still valid. I don't know why the one bank bothers me, maybe just because I went ahead & got everything else changed. Mostly I wanted all my IDs to match for travel & stuff. My cousin got married shortly after us, I remember agonizing when buying the plane tickets of which name to put on them. I put my maiden name, figuring I could just change my drivers license right away but wait on my passport if need be. It worked out ok...

I love those delusional first few minutes of the day where I grossly underestimate my love of sleep. -lurky mclurkerson