| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:41 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Thanks, guys! I have an Oster beehive blender, which is good with cashews but only if there's a lot of liquid, so I wasn't sure.

I'll try it with that or my fp and hopefully it'll be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:57 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Welp, my cheese is in a mold and the house smells like cheese....will report back in 6 hours or so!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:44 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm so tempted by this book. Sadly, I'm also super poor right now. Wah.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Disappearing Ink wrote:
I'm so tempted by this book. Sadly, I'm also super poor right now. Wah.

There are plenty of recipes you can see on Amazon, but you'll have to have a cashew cache for most of 'em!

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:44 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I preordered this from a nearby book shop and it came in yesterday. So exciting! I thought it'd take much longer since I'm in Europe.
I was wondering if the cheeses that call for carrageenan or agar are really much better with carrageenan (as that seems to be the first choice, and even the only choice in the meltable mozzarella). I can get agar powder quite easily and cheaply, but if it really makes a difference I'd consider splurging on some mail-order carrageenan.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

I want to jump on the cheese making bandwagon after reading all the yummy ones you're making. Hopefully no more surprises pop up and I can order the book friday. Then the wait for shipping, though. I'm making a mental list of what sounds good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:36 pm 
ugh

I'm picking this up from the library today. I'm moving in a couple weeks but hoping to squeeze in some cheesemaking funtimes before that.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

PoesiePie wrote:
I was wondering if the cheeses that call for carrageenan or agar are really much better with carrageenan (as that seems to be the first choice, and even the only choice in the meltable mozzarella). I can get agar powder quite easily and cheaply, but if it really makes a difference I'd consider splurging on some mail-order carrageenan.

I'm using agar powder and will report back. I'm trying to avoid ordering carrageenan myself. No issues with the sharp cheddar, but cooking the air dried cheddar was a major lumpy mess. I had to whip out my stick blender to get things under control. Hopefully, this won't affect anything, but I'll post picks when they're ready to eat.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:57 pm 

I used carrageenan. I know the recipe says it will be more like cheese that has been left out at room temperature, but after a night in the fridge, it's not really sliceable at all. I do really love the tanginess of the cheese. I am going to try the plain cashew cheese and make the boursin. I want to try something without nooch in it. I love nooch, but it can be pretty overpowering.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:51 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Has anyone had issues with the carrageenan and/or agar imparting a nasty taste to things?

So I picked the pub cheddar with chives. Yuh-hummm! Well, or at least it was yummy through the fermentation stage. This morning I went to do the simmering/cooking step with the beer and carrageenan. At first I start cooking the beer too soon, and the carrageenan gets instantly lumpy. It also has a pretty strong fish smell so I decide to use half carrageenan and half agar and just do the whole thing over. (so 1T agar + 1/2 T carrageenan) This time I whisk it all together before applying heat, and the lumps are much better, but on sporking it into ramekins I still noticed a fishy/icky taste that I think was the carrageenan along with a metallic taste I've noticed from agar previously. I don't know whether the taste will go away after they've been in the fridge, I'm hoping so, but anyone dealing with this?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:03 pm 
Cranky

b.vicious wrote:
I'm picking this up from the library today. I'm moving in a couple weeks but hoping to squeeze in some cheesemaking funtimes before that.

Irrelevant to the discussion, but working in a library on the north shore for a few days longer, I know which library this is! (Funny, there's only one copy in the system.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:18 pm 
ugh

Dr. Apricot wrote:
b.vicious wrote:

Irrelevant to the discussion, but working in a library on the north shore for a few days longer, I know which library this is! (Funny, there's only one copy in the system.)

Ha! Yes, they only ordered it because I requested it. (Have I mentioned how much I love my library?)

ETA: I hope the library in my new city will be as awesome about ordering books - this one must have a decent vegan cookbook collection by now because of me. If nothing else, I'll still be in the north shore so I can still get the previously ordered books through the network.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

annak wrote:
Has anyone had issues with the carrageenan and/or agar imparting a nasty taste to things?

I've used carrageenan and haven't noticed this so far. I did have an issue with it getting mega lumpy with the beer but I whisked and stirred the hell out of it and got through. Even in the melty mozzarella, I don't notice any off taste and it's a really mild cheese. On another note, the mozzarella was amazing on my cold leftover pizza.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:05 pm 
Saggy Butt

Sigh, it's not on sale on Amazon anymore and I was going to get it Friday. Maybe I'll wait until I hear more results, everyone is still in first stages it sounds like. Another book I was going to order is also back to full price, darn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So the sharp cheddar is tasty out of the fridge, but no where near sliceable, it's still very soft. I sorta liked it taste wise before I cooked it and added the agar, and, it's given me "the daiyas" like whoa. So I might skip the cooking stage next time and just serve it outta a bowl. I dunno! I want to hear what other people think of it.

xo
kittee

pakupaku

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:06 pm 

kittee wrote:
So the sharp cheddar is tasty out of the fridge, but no where near sliceable, it's still very soft. I sorta liked it taste wise before I cooked it and added the agar, and, it's given me "the daiyas" like whoa. So I might skip the cooking stage next time and just serve it outta a bowl. I dunno! I want to hear what other people think of it.

xo
kittee

Same with my sharp cheddar. it's definitely much too soft to be sliceable. It has a really nice cheesy tanginess to it, but it mostly taste like nooch to me. I like it ok, but it's not something I want to eat on crackers. I spread it on a bun with a veggie burger and it was good. I think I want to try some of the air dried cheeses to see if the texture improves. I have some cashews soaking to make the basic cashew cheese because I want to see how that tastes without any flavorings. Then I think I'll use that to make the Boursin.

I really like the tanginess that the culturing gives to the cheese, so I feel like I'm going to really like the goat cheese style cheeses.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:27 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Well, my cashew chevre got pretty firm. That might be worth trying for you guys. It didn't taste like nooch either.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:48 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Here's some advice on the Sharp Cheddar, because if it is made right, it is one of my most popular cheeses. If you taste nutritional yeast, it wasn't cultured long enough. I know the book says 24 - 72 hours, but it might require more time. It should taste really sharp like cheddar (not nutritional yeast)before you cook it. For texture, don't add the oil if you want to slice it. It will be soft at first, not really sliceable, but should firm up over a period of several weeks (in the fridge). The flavor also improves over time. Like I said, these are not quick cheeses. The aging component is key for some of them. Also, carrageenan will be really lumpy at first when you cook it (you will think you didn't do something right), then smooth out; you don't need to re-blend it. You have to be patient and cook it until it is really glossy, or it might not set up. Also, if your blender can handle it, soak the cashews a little less so they absorb less water.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:17 pm 

thanks, miyoko! I cultured my cheese for 48 hours because it was really hot in my apartment, but maybe it just wasn't long enough. I saved half of my cheddar to try in a month or so to see how it improves. I will try culturing the next one I make for longer!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

Amazon.ca pushed this back again until November 24th :(
No cheese for Daisy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:07 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

annak wrote:

So I picked the pub cheddar with chives. Yuh-hummm! Well, or at least it was yummy through the fermentation stage. This morning I went to do the simmering/cooking step with the beer and carrageenan. At first I start cooking the beer too soon, and the carrageenan gets instantly lumpy. It also has a pretty strong fish smell so I decide to use half carrageenan and half agar and just do the whole thing over. (so 1T agar + 1/2 T carrageenan) This time I whisk it all together before applying heat, and the lumps are much better, but on sporking it into ramekins I still noticed a fishy/icky taste that I think was the carrageenan along with a metallic taste I've noticed from agar previously. I don't know whether the taste will go away after they've been in the fridge, I'm hoping so, but anyone dealing with this?

Annak,

I've had that happen with carrageenan before. The problem was that I bought a natural carrageenan powder, but what you want is a refined food grade one. You can order it from places that specialize in molecular gastronomy. Since its made from a type of seaweed, the unrefined carrageenan can have that fishy smell and taste. I found the flavor really repulsive.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:35 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I used carrageenan. I know the recipe says it will be more like cheese that has been left out at room temperature, but after a night in the fridge, it's not really sliceable at all. I do really love the tanginess of the cheese. I am going to try the plain cashew cheese and make the boursin. I want to try something without nooch in it. I love nooch, but it can be pretty overpowering.

Which carrageenan did you use, kapa (for firm gels) or lota (for soft gels)? I'm not sure which one to order.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:03 pm 
Saggy Butt

Just got word that my copy is ready to be picked up at the store. STOKED.

I have a question for anyone who's made the rejuvelac - is it supposed to smell super funky? I made mine with rye kernels, and it did everything it was supposed to appearance-wise (the grains sprouted, the water got cloudy, etc.) but when I went to strain it into jars it smelled awful. Not just bad, but like death, covered in poop. I kept it anyways but haven't used it yet, so I'm wondering if I should throw it out and start over or if I should risk it and see what happens. Definitely didn't get the "tangy", lemon-juice-y vibe that the recipe described.

It's been pretty hot here so I wonder if it just got too warm? During the "add three cups water to half the sprouted grains" phase, it sat at an average temperature of about 25 celsius for two days.

Any insight is appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:09 pm 

you should definitely toss out anything that is smells like death covered in poop. Mine didn't really smell like much of anything. it got cloudy and tasted tangy and that was it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:10 pm 

cupcake wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

Which carrageenan did you use, kapa (for firm gels) or lota (for soft gels)? I'm not sure which one to order.

Kappa! I asked the same question on another page and then realized it says in the glossary to use Kappa.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 63  Next