| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beachbody Fitness (P90X, Insanity, etc.)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:26 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just assume I'll have to stop a bunch of times. I would have to be some crazy super badass to keep up with those people.

I took a day off yesterday. My throat and chest were like crazy sore, just from breathing. They still are today, but not quite as bad. I think it's from doing all this heavy cardio. Does that happen?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:36 pm 
Chip Strong

creep wrote:
I took a day off yesterday. My throat and chest were like crazy sore, just from breathing. They still are today, but not quite as bad. I think it's from doing all this heavy cardio. Does that happen?

Yeah, I think that can happen with heavy cardio, creep. Years ago, I was going to a sports massage therapist during a particularly heavy period of training/running. When she got to my throat and chest, I felt all this tightness in muscles I didn't even know I had there! She explained that these muscles are used in breathing and they can get taxed when working really hard.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It was a really strange feeling, but I guess that's what was going on. It actually feels better after getting back to the program today, I guess the same way sore muscles feel better once you get going.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:01 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

creep wrote:
It was a really strange feeling, but I guess that's what was going on. It actually feels better after getting back to the program today, I guess the same way sore muscles feel better once you get going.

That's a relief. I dunno about sore breathing. I'm no expert but I try to really pay attention to signals from heart and lungs, those being being important parts. I'll happily beat the crepe out of all other parts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:03 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

So I just ordered the BEAST. BODY BEAST, that is. From Beachbody. It's their newest program, designed to bulk you up. In just 90 days, I will become this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAXo3Wr_nYU
or else I will get my money back!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:29 am 
Hip Goiter

Haha wow DLD! Good luck!
Man I hate cardio recovery. I'd much rather do lots of hard cardio than try to hold that squat position and squeeze my thighs together! Ow!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Today's my last day of the second week, and I'm up like 3 pounds. I've kind of been eating whatever I want since I'm working so hard. But I can see some tone, and I'm smaller! My thigh vegemite is like half gone. Muscles are weird.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:14 pm 
Hip Goiter

Lucky you, my vegemite is still going strong. Haha. I don't really think my body has changed at all on the outside, which blows, but I do feel so much better doing the videos. I do love this program though, man oh Manischevitz as my uncle used to say.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:38 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

You should try going back to the X cardio workouts! I'm doing Recovery week this week, and yesterday I pulled out the old Plyo from P90X. Easy peasy. Was so much easier than those Insanity workouts. I even did the Insanity warmup at the end just to get my heart rate up a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:14 pm 
Hip Goiter

I'm on recovery week too! What is yours, with the hybrid? Today was my first Core Cardio and Balance. It was ok! I prefer the huffing-and-puffing workouts (which is why I don't like the recovery day workout even though it's really hard) but this one was pretty good regardless, especially at the hip flexor burners, oh man. I've needed that move for the past 8 years with my hip flexor and groin issue. I'm excited to do a whole week of it. I also started doing X stretch more evenings which I love. It makes me feel so much better.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:45 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Well I just sort of make it up every time. My plan for this week:
- Yesterday: P90X Plyo + the Insanity warmup
- Today: Ab Ripper X and an hour of yoga. I do the yoga without any video -- I've been doing yoga almost 5 years now so I just do my own thing.
- Tuesday: P90X+ Total Body workout. It's 45 minutes and works everything, but nothing very hard. It's good maintenance.
- Wednesday: Core Cardio and Balance -- I'll give it a try!
- Thursday: Insanity Cardio Recovery with the nasty thigh maneuvers
- Friday: P90X+ Total Body workout
- Saturday: drink beer all day

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:49 pm 
Hip Goiter

Haha I love Saturday. That's cool so you change it up every week. After I finish Insanity I'm going to mix the two programs.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:54 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Change is fun -- I was getting soooooo bored doing the same workouts every week.
Next week I'm going on a camping vacation so I'll just make it another recovery week and jump around the campsite when no one's looking.
Then, August 27, I start the Beast! I need the preparation time to figure out the diet. The "Book of Beast" (ha ha, crazy name, but that's what the book is called that comes with the DVDs) is totally meat-centric so I need to spend some time figuring out the vegan version of things. I already bought some vegan creatine monohydrate, after I spent about 2 hours reading about it to make sure it wasn't some crazy steroid thing. Seems safe.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:05 pm 
Hip Goiter

Damn that's going to be crazy! There are some vegan bodybuilding websites that would help. I remember tripping upon them a few years back. I'm sure that's an easy google search.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yeah I've spent time on www.veganbodybuilding.com which is good, and I'm a fan of the Thrive stuff, although that's more for endurance than lifting.

I was never that interested in bulking up. Until a couple weeks ago, I asked my wife, "do you think I'd look good if I bulked up a bit" and she said "of course, you're kinda slight." what the fizzle! What the Fizzle! Well OK then. Alright. Yep. This is serious. So I bought the Beast. It says you'll gain 10lbs of muscle in 90 days, which will put me back above what I weighed when I started all this craziness 2 years ago, but hopefully keeping my waist size. We'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:20 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

you guys, i'm so proud of all of you!

except for you kenpo haters. it's not much of a workout, true, but it's like the closest thing to a rest day there is. also, i am very uncoordinated and once I got the star down i felt like a rockstar.

i haven't worked out since . . . uhmmmm . . . early June? lame. I have tons of excuses, but really, excuses are just that. visitors, moving, blah blah. i'm waiting for my pod to be redelivered so i can get my stuff back, and I can start after that. well, after i go through everything i own trying to find some medical records so the kid can start school. of course, i was in a house before and now i'll be on the 2nd floor of an apartment building, so plyo and i really won't be friends this time.

DLD! that's rough. you always just say "no, you look hot/awesome/perfect just the way you are" to your significant other.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:45 am 
Hip Goiter

Appi I think your excuses are pretty valid! You've been moving around and that makes everything so tough! You'll get back to it. And I've only done these programs in an apartment, so you can do it! Right now I only have maybe 5 feet of space after I push the coffee table into the wall and move all the chairs. Carpet helps with the noise, and if you can't use carpet, then use a few yoga mats lined up. And if you have to do it early in the morning, it doesn't hurt to check in with the neighbor downstairs. That person might be at work then anyway!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:07 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm towards the end of week three, and I just did the power & resistance video and felt like puking the entire time. I don't know what's up with my body, but tomorrow's the last day of exercise this week, so hopefully it'll be all normal by then.

appifanie, I was going strong and then ended up taking off a couple months of diet/exercise when we moved. It's hard for that to be a priority when you have so much other shiitake going on. You'll get back to it when your life settles down!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:55 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hey Appie, so good to hear from you! I'm sure your friends miss you -- Katie with her corncobs, guy who lives on a boat, Eric with the prosthetic leg, Bobby from the power half hour -- they'll welcome you back whenever you're ready!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:58 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

randi - thx! the apartment is actually a tiny bit bigger than the house i was in, but i'm worried about pissing off my neighbor. i'm going to keep an eye out for him and if he's around maybe i'll bake for him and bribe him. :D

creep - thx!

DLD -ooh corncobs! blargh. eric will always kick my asparagus. i found a slightly annoying bb coach whose before looks like mine so i liked her on fb so i could see pics of her transformation as inspiration.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:22 pm 
Hip Goiter

DLD did you try Core Cardio & Balance today? I want to know what you thought!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yeah I did it a couple hours ago, for the first time! Lots of thoughts. I was excited to be able to do a workout all the way through, so that was good. For the first few minutes I was thinking it was a total joke and I'd get the same cardio workout walking around the corner to pick up a beer, but then it amped up a bit. I think I'll be feeling my hip flexors and shoulders tomorrow. If you look like Ariel, you have one rocking body! She looks awesome. I was happy to see Tania smiling instead of scowling. But anyway, the workout. I liked it. I think I'd rather do pure cardio, but this is a good one when you want almost but not totally a day off. And it's kinda dancy bouncey which is fun. What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:43 pm 
Hip Goiter

Haha I don't look anything like Ariel; I aspire to! I think I have about 60 pounds to go. Tania still didn't say anything besides 'wooo!' though. Today for some reason I was sweating so much more than the past 2 days of it. Hm.
I love pure cardio. I think that one is my favorite. I love the tricep work in the resistance and power video, but I hate that it starts with power jumps or jacks and log jumps so early, before I'm sufficiently warmed up. I have to warm up myself so I don't injure myself as that video would have me do.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:15 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yeah no kidding. Once you've done the Insanity 11-minute warmup, any other warmup seems like a joke. Lift your legs, wave your arms around, bend at the waist, whatever. It's all pretty goofy compared to Shaun T's 11 minute cardio warmup and 6 minute stretch after.

I've never tried the resistance and power, but maybe I'll give it a shot to see what it's all about. I figure with the P90X routines and the upcoming Beast those will be my resistance workouts though.

Wish me luck -- tomorrow morning I'm driving 35 miles just to get dunked in a tank and measure my bodyfat %. I can pretend all I want with the scale and belt loops but this will be the honest, horrifying truth...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:27 am 
Hip Goiter

Well the resistance and power video is very much another cardio video, just with tricep dips and pushups taking the place of maybe 3 cardio moves.
What is the purpose of the dunk tank of horror?! You just really want an accurate reading? Good luck oh man.

Laughfrodisiac

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 82  Next