| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:46 am 
WRETCHED

I'm doing calorie counting, definitely easiest. One of my biggest problems has been overeating fruit so calorie counting should help keep that in check. I'm also striving for daily exercise.

I just need to relose the weight I lost a few years ago and then lose a bit more. Long, hard road.

For anyone doing myfitnesspal, is there a way to adjust its goals for you? I mean I don't mind that by 10am that it told me I was over my sugars for the day but really, 1 piece of fruit and some tomato sauce did all that? Either that or I'll ignore the sugar allowance somewhat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:51 am 
Naked Under Apron

I don't know about adjusting it, but I definitely ignored the sugar limit. Sorry, MFP, I'm not concerned about that mango putting me over the edge.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:06 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Way to go, Gulliver! Awesome!
Hang in there, jogirl. I've been there for sure!

I do calorie counting; use Spark People because it was the first one that popped into my head. It does the job & I'm too lazy to switch, but I think all the other big names (Calorie Count, My Fitness Pal, Live Strong) all have better databases of food, so pick one of those.

I'm practicing patience this week. Whenever I get back into reducing portion size, exercise, all that stuff again, the first couple weeks weight comes off really fast. After that it slows down to a more normal/healthy rate. So I'm at that "just slowed down for the first time" point, and reminding myself: PATIENCE. This is normal. Two weeks ago was weird. Don't expect weird. Expect normal or less. It's fine. You are not immune to the laws of thermodynamics. The scale will go down eventually. It's fine.

If you prefer actual numbers, I've lost ~15 pounds in ~7 weeks, so yeah. IT'S FINE. You guys? It's fine.

I love those delusional first few minutes of the day where I grossly underestimate my love of sleep. -lurky mclurkerson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:13 am 
And you never will.

Well, I went camping (Veganstock, woo!) and have been hit with a MOUNTAIN of stress since we got back a week ago, and I haven't tracked in like three weeks. Thankfully, I've only gained about two pounds in that time (it could have been a lot worse), but I'm back now. My grocery (and toiletry and household goods) budget for my family of three has just gone down to $75/week, so... no more processed or convenience foods should make things easier, right?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:50 am 
WRETCHED

Hang in there poopie!

Mack - the other thing to remember is the scale is not the most accurate way to measure fat loss (which is what many of us strive for) but it is the most convenient. Your body is mostly water so it makes sense that our weights fluctuate on a daily and even hourly basis. I've had weeks in the past where I didn't lose any weight and then all of a sudden, the pounds started dropping fast.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:21 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Mack the Spork wrote:
PATIENCE.
Amen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:26 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks lilanil! Yeah, I will remind myself that, too.

Ignore today/look at longer term helps me a lot. I weigh myself and go "dammit! I barely lost 1/2 pound this week!" and then I look back and do the math, "15 lbs / 7 weeks = .... OH. Well. That's good then. So... yay." hahaha.

I actually used to weigh myself daily and enter it into an Excel spreadsheet, which automatically plotted 4-week and 6-week moving averages. Which is fun, and nerdy. And my different ones were different colors. <3 I haven't gone back to that but maybe I should.

I need to also stop being lazy and take measurements soon. I never took "befores" but I can at least compare now to going forward.

I love those delusional first few minutes of the day where I grossly underestimate my love of sleep. -lurky mclurkerson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:18 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I feel more inspired reading these last few posts! Poopiebitch, I'm hoping that having to work to a tighter budget will help me as well. My working circumstances will change next month (less money, but also WAY less stress), so it won't be as easy for me to just say, "sod it, let's have a takeaway". I am just going to try and concentrate on eating lots of healthy stuff, and moving a little more (as in exercise).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:20 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm so close to my goal!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:00 am 
Naked Under Apron

After a not great day yesterday, food-wise (I was feeling sick, and the only thing I wanted to eat was Cheerios), I'm having a good Eat to Live start to today with some Bob's Red Mill 5-Grain Cereal with Flax cooked with unsweetened almond milk, and some blackberries. I'm going to go to Wegman's this afternoon to get a lot of fruits and vegetables to eat for the rest of the week.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:59 am 
WRETCHED

I went to a Zumba class last night, first time I ever have and I loved it.

I also had a super hungry day yesterday. Started at 4am, I was having some weird upper back/shoulder/neck stiffness which made it hard to sleep and my growling stomach didnt help so I tossed and turned. I finally got up a little after 6 and ate breakfast. I was hungry no matter what I ate until the afternoon, when it finally went away.. I then went to class at 6pm and still had enough calories for a snack after.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:21 am 
Ninja Master

I am having a whole week like that. Hungry! I just ate lunch and some snack a jacks and i'm still hungry. GAH.

Joined the gym today. I have my induction tomorrow and I'm gonna sign up for the 4 week kettle bell class to learn how to use them. Hopefully that'll spur me onto to sticking to my calories a bit better. I have been pretty good the last few weeks.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:21 am 
WRETCHED

Go baps! I love kettlebells. I'm planning on having the trainer incorporate them into my workout later on.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:09 pm 
WRETCHED

So weird exercise class tonight - Zumba in the water. Definitely not as enjoyable as on land. I'm not sure I'll go back.

I also realized something in that planning my workouts and going to the gym, recording my food, etc is making me happy. I'm happy that I'm making some progress and I'm enjoying the new routine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:51 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Trying to lose- very disappointed because last year I counted calories I was not even exercising and I lost at least a pound week and was at goal. My brother died which for obvious reasons made me really depressed and I ate my way back up again.

This year I initially lost 4 lbs with calorie counting and no exercise. I started walking twice a day I am losing nothing and I keep going up and down the scale trading up and down two pounds.

I am really used to being able to lose weight with some dietary changes staying in calorie count ect. With exercise I should lose even more but it's not happening.

The only change is that I am transitioning to vegan. Which you'd think might even be helpful. I don't want to be stuck at this weight any suggestions? Are there foods other than what is normally avoided in a vegan diet that I should be avoiding?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:26 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Linanil: you can change your nutrient allowance through the full website. I think its under Goals? Like I changed my protein from 15% to 20% of calories. Oh and I teach Zumba! Never heard of doing it in the water, interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:08 am 
WRETCHED

Sophia - how long has your weight been bouncing since you started counting calories?

Unfortunately, losing weight is easier than trying to relose the same weight. The reason being is that when you lose weight, you lose muscle and fat. When you gain weight, you are generally gaining fat. So you may be at the same weight but your body may have a slightly lower metabolism due to muscle loss plus you have more fat than when you were at the same weight previously.

The good thing is that exercising helps you retain muscle as you lose weight and can also increase muscle slightly. Also, when you exercise your body retains more water than if you weren't exercising. So you may be losing fat, but retaining water and the scale can actually remain the same.

I'd say keep at it unless you haven't lost any weight for a few months, then look at tweaking your diet possibly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:42 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

up again. gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. damn you pasta!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:36 pm 
Impressive boner

I rejoined Slimming World yesterday and found I've only gained 4lbs in 5 months, which is good going for me. They were holding their annual slimmer of the year nominations and I decided that next year I'm going to win it, and I'm also going to wear bikinis next summer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:19 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi I'm new around here and I'm 30 pounds over-fluffy, so I hope it is ok to join you here. I've been working hard at eating right since late July. It's really freaking hard.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

BettyFoop wrote:
over-fluffy

LOVE THIS SO MUCH!

New phrase, just to let you know, I'm stealing this and using the hell out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:36 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm definitely okay with joint custody of "over-fluffy", so knock yourself out! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:16 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Thanks to an increase in my medication I have gained 4lbs in a week. Not one bit impressed. I need to get down a few more than the 4lbs but just going to concentrate on the 4lbs for now then reevaluate my goal.

My plan is to cut way back on refined sugars. Over the past week I have been grazing on biscuits and sweets. I already do a good hour long walk with the dog every evening.

Because I've been depressed I've been spending long hours lazing on the sofa so I'm going to try cut back on that by getting up and doing housework. Going to get back into cooking properly again. I've been getting lazy the past 2/3 weeks and I don't want to fall into a really unhealthy rut.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:48 am 
WRETCHED

I weighed in yesterday and I lost 5 lbs this week. That is higher than normal but I got a lot to lose.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:06 am 
Discovered unobtainium

That's great, linanil. I'm happy the gym is working out so well for you.

I've been happy with the water aerobics too. The place I'm planning to join in October has aqua Zumba, so I'll try that. I'm really thrilled to have found something that I can do without hurting.

I've lost maybe 5-6lbs this summer, but I haven't been doing anything systematic other than really trying to not eat any random junk food and cooking healthier, regular meals so I don't snack on things I don't need to eat.

I'm going to try to get diligent about WW when work starts back next week. I still need to lose around 15 or so more depending how I feel. I feel bottom heavy right now and it's uncomfortable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 145  Next