| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Aspartame, is it vegan?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:07 am 
Offline
Has Isa on speed dial
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:48 am
Posts: 81
Put aside the fact that it's dangerous, can cause cancer, blindness and what not.
Is it vegan?
I've always thought aspartame was artificially created in a laboratory using chemicals of some sort, but just now, a friend told me she knows a guy who doesn't eat it because it has animal products in it. She said she wasn't sure if he was right, but that I might want to search around it a bit.

I don't consume that much aspartame, but I do love some sugar free pastilles/breath mints like Läkerol. I'm hooked, and it's the closest thing I get to gelatin free "candy".

Please tell me I can continue eating them!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Aspartame, is it vegan?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:01 am 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:16 pm
Posts: 101
Location: marsala, sicily, italy
i got this after a work out

Image

which contains aspartame, so i'd like to know too, if i can continue to make my shake!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Aspartame, is it vegan?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:22 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10760
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
yeah, it's man made. the person you talked to probably thinks that because it's made from amino acids that it comes from an animal...or something. or maybe they don't eat it because i think the company that makes it is owned by Monsanto.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Aspartame, is it vegan?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:12 am 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:35 pm
Posts: 1518
Location: Boston
I don't think it has animal products in it, but almost everything that has aspartame in it also has a warning that large doses of it cause cancer in lab rats. Maybe the "lab rats" bit is what makes it not vegan?

I mean, obviously that would make it not vegan, but the "maybe" comes from the fact that it may have been a one-time study and/or not linked to the people who produce the aspartame.

I'm just guessing here.

_________________
http://vegetalion.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Aspartame, is it vegan?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:52 pm 
Offline
Built this city on rock and roll
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Posts: 1210
If I remember correctly it can be processed with enzymes from pig kidneys?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Aspartame, is it vegan?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:38 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:44 pm
Posts: 241
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Mihl wrote:
If I remember correctly it can be processed with enzymes from pig kidneys?

Yeah, I thought the problem was in the processing, that it used pig enzymes. I think there was a thread about it on the old ppk, but I don't remember what the final conclusion was or if this was verified anywhere. Gave me one more excuse to kick diet pop, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Aspartame, is it vegan?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:26 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:24 pm
Posts: 1104
Location: Birmingham, AL
Wow I had no idea about this. Does it mean that diet soda isn't vegan? Or do not all diet sodas use aspartame?

_________________
Revamped blog: Veganitions
Twitter: caitds
Facebook: Caitlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Aspartame, is it vegan?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:41 pm 
Offline
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5411
Location: BRLA
superherogirl wrote:
Mihl wrote:
If I remember correctly it can be processed with enzymes from pig kidneys?

Yeah, I thought the problem was in the processing, that it used pig enzymes. I think there was a thread about it on the old ppk, but I don't remember what the final conclusion was or if this was verified anywhere. Gave me one more excuse to kick diet pop, though.


I remember the thread, and I remember the one person who knows anything about science concluding that it was more vegan than sugar and less vegan than having a waiter with leather boots serve you salad. I remember the important stuff.

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Aspartame, is it vegan?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:48 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 1464
This is the original thread -

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =firefox-a

Quote:
http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Biological_ ... /Aspartame
In the synthesis of aspartame, the starting materials are a racemic mixture (equal quantities of both isomers) of phenylalanine, and aspartic acid. Only the L isomer of phenylalanine is desired for use. This L isomer may be separated from the D isomer by a chemical pretreatment, followed by a reaction with the enzyme porcine kidney acylase. The final separation occurs with an acidic aqueous and organic extraction, where the L isomer is more soluble in the aqueous layer and the D isomer is more soluble in the organic layer.


Here's page 2 - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =firefox-a

The Vegan Society apparently counts it as vegan and it's considered kosher parve.

_________________
Like the beleaguered people of sub-Saharan Africa, I'll just go to Denny's. Solidarity!
-mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Aspartame, is it vegan?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:40 pm 
Offline
Built this city on rock and roll
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Posts: 1210
vegimator wrote:
This is the original thread -

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =firefox-a

Quote:
http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Biological_ ... /Aspartame
In the synthesis of aspartame, the starting materials are a racemic mixture (equal quantities of both isomers) of phenylalanine, and aspartic acid. Only the L isomer of phenylalanine is desired for use. This L isomer may be separated from the D isomer by a chemical pretreatment, followed by a reaction with the enzyme porcine kidney acylase. The final separation occurs with an acidic aqueous and organic extraction, where the L isomer is more soluble in the aqueous layer and the D isomer is more soluble in the organic layer.


Here's page 2 - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =firefox-a

The Vegan Society apparently counts it as vegan and it's considered kosher parve.


Thank you for the links and expanations. To me it sounds like it's on the same level as things like wine or beer then. They are filtered with e.g. gelatin, but there is no gelatin in the final product. Still animal products are used.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Aspartame, is it vegan?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:56 am 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:29 am
Posts: 211
Location: Poland, Warsaw
Thanks for all explanation. I would never thought that aspartam is not vegan. I was avoiding it because I have health concerns but now I'm shocked about those enzymes! That is so wrong on so many levels!

_________________
*my blog (in Polish)*


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Hollie and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer