| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Please help me like tempeh
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:54 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

So a couple of months ago I went shopping with my vegan friend and she bought herself a heap of frozen tempeh and told me to stock up too cos it was a good price. So I bought a few packets and stuck them in the freezer. I like anything vegan so I didn't think twice about it.

Except when I actually ate it, I gagged and almost vomited. I've never ever had a reaction like that. I had sliced it thinly, marinated it for hours (garlic, chilli, ginger, a little tamari IIRC) ten fried it, like I would tofu, in a stir fry. The texture was gross and the flavour blergh.

Maaaaybe it had spoiled, I don't know. There was a tiny bit of black (mould maybe?) in the corners but it did smell okay.

I've read about steaming/boiling tempeh beforehand but I've also read other advice from people saying they don't believe it really does all that much.

I've checked out the PPK tempeh marinade thread and other tempeh tips web pages but I swear I look at the tempeh in my freezer and realise I don't want to go there, but I should. Because tempeh is good, and for a lot of my eating I think of food as fuel particularly for my weight training so I'm not hung up on taste. But with the tempeh, it was the feel of it in my mouth.

Did any of you loathe tempeh to begin with? Gag on it? And now you love it? I don't want to give up but I would at least like to make the next tempeh experiment a good one!

Post subject: Re: Please help me like tempeh
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:05 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

What is the brand? Not going to lie I find some brands to be completely inedible (interestingly enough it is the ones that come in a rectangle shape. squares are good)

I found it vile at first but it really grew on me and now I like it plain lol Never found marinades to do much though

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:28 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

ooh plain tempeh is hard core!

I bought it in Australia (VIC) and it says "Vincent's Vegetarian". It's a long narrow yellow packet and I bought it from an Asian grocery store.

Thanks for the reply :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:30 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Black mold is normal. Too much can end up being more bitter.

My favorite brand is the SoyBoy.

I'd give tempeh bacon a try--VB or VWaV recipe. If you don't like tempeh after that, at least you've given it a good try!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:28 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Don't give up on tempeh!!! It took me a little while to get used to it as well and now it's one of my main protein sources.

I would suggest trying another brand, like everyone has said, the brand makes all the difference in the world! Maybe next time try some from a health food store?!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:43 am 
Inflexitarian

I'd suggest trying them in more elaborate set ups. Just marinating in a little soy sauce probably won't cut it with tempeh unless you really love it. And YES you should steam or boil it! It really does help. Go for recipes with heavy sauces and flavoring or where the tempeh gets mashed (and has heavy flavoring added). The tempeh bacon suggestion is a good one. These are really awesome recipes where you can't taste the "bad" taste at all:

Tempeh wingz (bottom of page): http://donteatoffthesidewalk.com/the-zi ... e-recipes/
Chesapeake tempeh cakes: http://www.theppk.com/2009/04/chesapeake-tempeh-cakes/

Keep trying! It's totally worth it. I *love* tempeh now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

TurningVioletViolet wrote:
I bought it in Australia (VIC) and it says "Vincent's Vegetarian". It's a long narrow yellow packet and I bought it from an Asian grocery store.

I've never seen that one! I get the 'tasty' Nutrisoy one available at Coles and Woolies and I like it. I was never grossed out by tempeh, but it wasn't my favourite. I started out by crumbling it into chili, which is still one of my favourite ways to use it. Maybe you could also try the Cajun tempeh beanballs from Appetite for Reduction, they're really easy and there's a lot going on so the tempeh isn't that prominent. I usually make them with kidney beans rather than black eyed peas, since they're so much easier to find here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:19 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

These Tempeh Sausage Pastry Puffs are amazing: http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-ea ... ffs-recipe

If you have leftover filling it's good in pasta sauce, on pizza, in tofu scramble, with a spoon...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:56 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I hated Tempeh the first few times I tried it too. I realised that I pretty much only like it crumbled like in these Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes http://www.theppk.com/2009/04/chesapeake-tempeh-cakes/ and I feel like it definitely needs steaming. I also really like the tempeh bacon from VWAV but it took me a couple of try's to like Tempeh like that!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

try tempeh crumble tacos, too!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:29 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Okay, wish me luck folks. I'm goin' in.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:03 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My tempeh hating BF managed to enjoy it when I made the biscuits with sausage and white bean gravy from VWAV!

Keep trying it! I did not like tempeh when i first tried it. But it was one of those things where I was like *takes a bite* BLEGH THIS IS TERRIBLE *takes another bite* This isnt nice *takes another bite* Okay I cant stop eating this shiitake so it must be nice.
I Also like tuna salad made from tempeh, maybe give that a shot if your brave!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:37 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Steam it first. Try a sticky sweet sauce like orange-glazed tempeh (for example http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/or ... ecipe.html). Eat it with a substantial rice with bite, like a wild rice blend or a brown rice, so that the beany texture of the tempeh is less noticeable. I had a delicious salad with tempeh on it for dinner (and my soon to be leftover lunch!) so I am not a tempeh hater, by any means :).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:08 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I like tempeh okay now, but for a while I had to steam it and then use it crumbed up in sloppy joes or chili so the taste was covered up more and the texture wasn't as noticeable. Now I'm okay eating it in larger pieces but I still can't eat a lot of it. Except tempeh bacon, I've always liked that!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:30 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've heard that the black mold on tempeh is OK to eat, but I usually cut it off because I can. And yeah, definitely steam it. Terry has instructions for steaming tempeh in the micorowave so clean up is easy. I don't think I really started to like tempeh until I had tempeh bacon. Also sauteed peppers, onions and tempeh slathered in BBQ sauce and on a toasty bun is amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:59 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

hi folks, welll it took me a while but I made some tempeh today using the maple-smoky bacon recipe from Big Vegan, and frying until cremated. It was pretty nice but I still have to get used to the chewy texture. I steamed it first and I think it helped.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:59 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Vegan Dad has some great recipes using tempeh. Making something like tempeh burgers might be a better way to get used to the taste & texture than eating it straight up.

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/search/label/tempeh

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:38 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the only way i have enjoyed tempeh is from a recipe for Middle Eastern shawarmas from the Vegan Table. it's basically a Middle Eastern burrito with a tahini sauce. you steam the tempeh and then caramelize it.

YUM!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:28 am 
Chard Martyr

Some people just don't like tempeh. It's okay! But I'm glad you are making progress.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:02 am 
Dead by dawn

Yay, progress! I used to be a tempeh hater. I'm still a skeptic and really only use it crumbled, but I'd like to embrace it for variety's sake. The tempeh sausage pastry puffs in VB are delicious, and the caldo verde in AFR is also really, really good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:50 am 
***LIES!!!***

I like tempeh more than tofu now, but it took me a really long time to warm up to it. My first attempt was the V'Con Baja Tacos and I thought I was going to throw up and die and had to take a several-months break from trying tempeh after that. (I haven't tried them since, would probably like them now.)

What got me back on the horse was Vegan Dad. Seriously, make his tempeh stuff. I highly recommend his mini meatloaves as a starter recipe. Use tempeh in some way that will allow you to appreciate its taste before you try to conquer the texture.

These days I am happy eating tempeh any which way and particularly love it simmered in stock for about 10 minutes, tossed in seasoned flour, and then fried in about half an inch of oil - makes a great nugget for dipping in ketchup, ranch, what have you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:54 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

The first time I ate tempeh I was like "I don't get what all the fuss is about" and the second time was like "OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER." I think tempeh cooked in satay sauce is pretty much the best thing ever, and that type of sauce is strong enough (maybe) to mask some of the bitterness.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:11 am 
Naked Under Apron

bunniee wrote:
Vegan Dad has some great recipes using tempeh. Making something like tempeh burgers might be a better way to get used to the taste & texture than eating it straight up.

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/search/label/tempeh

Thanks for posting this. As good as his recipes have always looked, I've never made any for some reason. But I should! Those all look amazing.

I looooove tempeh, so recommendations from me may not be the best for tempeh haters. BUT, I recently made Dreena's pan fried tempt-eh from ED&BV and used it to top a caesar salad and it was awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:26 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

TurningVioletViolet wrote:
ooh plain tempeh is hard core!

Thanks for the reply :)

if you can find Primasoy, it's up there with the best tempeh I've had. if you're in Melbourne, go to the St Kilda farmer's market, and you can buy it directly from them

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:30 am 
Nooch of Earl

I've found that tempeh is sort of a double black diamond veggie protein; it soaks up marinades insanely well, but is inherently rather bland and this makes it very easy to either underseason or overseason it. On the other had, it gives it a lot of potential! One of my favorite things to do is marinate it for a long time in a very flavorful, balanced marinade like for teriyaki or fajitas, and then fry. The VWAV sausage crumbles are also easy and delicious. I like the chesapeake tempeh cake suggestion though, since you won't get a lot of tempeh texture in there if you want to warm up to it gradually. Plus they're delicious!

If you're in an area with an indonesian restaurant, I recommend going there and ordering a tempeh dish and seeing what you think of it.