| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So it is just me? *rant*
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I know I am not the only person who hates there job, but i feel stuck with the daily repitition and want out. I work at subway, I'm a swing manager making 8.85, not bad and it gets me far. I want to leave, but dont want to stay in fast food. I want to go back to school, I want to better myself, but finically cant really afford it. I need a car, and pay off some debt, that I have slowly been paying over the past year. I'm only 20 and about up to my shoulders with debt.

And I have been offered to become 2nd assistant...

But I have already been told the fine lines of what that means. Which is basically signing your life away to them.

We just recently got a new store manager and she is so far up my asparagus its killing me. And I'm thankfull that my phone has been disconnected for about 2 wks now. Turned it back on today, and one of the first things that happened was a text from her saying to call her now. I turned the phone right back off.

I work usually 10 hr shifts..almost everyday. Like this black friday coming up. She has me working 3 a.m. to 3 p.m. And as far as breaks go, we get one 15 min break. And typically I dont even get that. I feel very mistreated I suppose.

I guess just overall I know that this job is sure as hell not the job for me. And I feel stuck!!!

Bananas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY

Post subject: Re: So it is just me? *rant*
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:14 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Well, I know that there are federal regulations that should prevent them from treating you like that. Perhaps the owners need to be reminded of that. I worked fast food, where I was both sexually harassed and not given breaks etc. It is not okay and you have rights.
I don't know why you couldn't take the second assistant position to get you to the place where you could go to school.
Sometimes the best answer to a bad situation is to just get out. To trust that you will land on your feet. Especially if staying means that you will be under someone's foot long term.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:18 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yes you have rights, you might have to go above your immediate boss to have them enforced. Start looking for work elsewhere in the mean time. Not all jobs, even fast food ones, are that bad and some might work with your school schedule. If there is a campus nearby, go check out that area as they probably already have student workers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:09 pm 
Grandfathered In

Heard a story about wage theft on the radio the other day. It's a huge deal.

http://www.wagetheft.org/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:42 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Be careful with the assistant manager positions. I don't know if you've been offered salary or not, but I took a job like that in college and wound up working tons of overtime (which they no longer had to pay me for) and basically felt as if I lost the ability to set limits on my job. You may have been offered an hourly position, which would be better.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:01 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

janejellyroll wrote:
Be careful with the assistant manager positions. I don't know if you've been offered salary or not, but I took a job like that in college and wound up working tons of overtime (which they no longer had to pay me for) and basically felt as if I lost the ability to set limits on my job. You may have been offered an hourly position, which would be better.

It would be hourly. The only way i could get salary is if i was the store owner. Which I will pass. I just know they want me on the call at any moment. And my boss is already this way with me now.

Bananas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY