| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let's Talk about Divergent.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

I just finished the book, after it being suggested as similar to the Hunger Games.
I am SO CONFLICTED about this book.
Overall, I guess I enjoyed it. It was a compelling read and i finished it in three days.
BUT. every time i set it down or stopped to think, this is what i thought:

"This is so effing stupid! What a ridiculous premise!"

I guess the way the society was reorganized was just such a stupid and illogical way to organize a society that it couldn't possibly work. I mean, I UNDERSTAND that there's the element of suspension of disbelief. I get it, really I do, but seriously, factions based on one characteristic? And we're going to come up with the most obscure possible words for those values? Abnegation? What is this a high school vocab test?

I also was annoyed with the "plot twists" when she discovers the factions her mother and Four are from. CALLED IT. Also her crush on Four is stupid, and their relationship is stupid. Also, lets be serious, if they're only letting 10 people into Dauntless a year they're going to have like... 800 members max? and then they're doing stupid stuff all the time and die twice a month... ummm worst army ever?

Anyways, I'm really frustrated and can't decide if I want to read the second one or not.

Post subject: Re: Let's Talk about Divergent.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:08 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Norelle wrote:

I guess the way the society was reorganized was just such a stupid and illogical way to organize a society that it couldn't possibly work. I mean, I UNDERSTAND that there's the element of suspension of disbelief. I get it, really I do, but seriously, factions based on one characteristic?

I haven't read Divergent, but this is exactly how I felt about The Hunger Games. I thought the premise was ridiculous, so I could never get into the books even though I liked the characters, it was impossible for me to suspend my disbelief.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I read the second one but I share all your frustrations. What I think is so implausible about the whole thing is that like twelve kids are somehow the key figures of the entire situation that's going on (which I am keeping purposefully vague in case you want to read the second one). Where are all the adults? This is freaking Chicago. It's a big place and this societal structure seems to have been around for a long time but there are only about six adults ever mentioned.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:29 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I barely liked Divergent, but I actually really liked Insurgent (the second book) because of how much more it explained about the stupid asparagus backwards society and how it's JUST now occurring to these people that the faction system doesn't work too well. Even though most of us could've called that from the first chapter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Norelle wrote:

I guess the way the society was reorganized was just such a stupid and illogical way to organize a society that it couldn't possibly work. I mean, I UNDERSTAND that there's the element of suspension of disbelief. I get it, really I do, but seriously, factions based on one characteristic?

I haven't read Divergent, but this is exactly how I felt about The Hunger Games. I thought the premise was ridiculous, so I could never get into the books even though I liked the characters, it was impossible for me to suspend my disbelief.

See, I felt the Hunger Games presented it in a much more... i dont know, realistic way? Obviously it's a dystopian Society, but like... Hunger Games social structure made more sense to me, since it wouldn't be hard to believe a small group of powerful people would take advantage of pretty much everyone else, holding them basically in a position of forced servitude (is that a word?)
The games themselves are a ridiculous concept, but I guess Suzanne Collins presented them in such a way that I could accept them.
I just felt like this whole faction thing wasn't like... thought out all that well?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:33 pm 
Saggy Butt

molly wrote:
I read the second one but I share all your frustrations. What I think is so implausible about the whole thing is that like twelve kids are somehow the key figures of the entire situation that's going on (which I am keeping purposefully vague in case you want to read the second one). Where are all the adults? This is freaking Chicago. It's a big place and this societal structure seems to have been around for a long time but there are only about six adults ever mentioned.

Yeah! and if Eric is one of the leaders and they wanted Four to be a leader ummm.... THEY'RE 18.
i wouldn't trust an 18 year old to return my tupperware, much less lead and train a new generation of the faction!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:35 pm 
Saggy Butt

Fee wrote:
I barely liked Divergent, but I actually really liked Insurgent (the second book) because of how much more it explained about the stupid asparagus backwards society and how it's JUST now occurring to these people that the faction system doesn't work too well. Even though most of us could've called that from the first chapter.

At the end of the first one i guess i assumed they'd explain more in the second one, but I'm just questioning if i care enough to even read it?

also do Tris and Four bang in the second one? i can't decide if i want them to, or if i would roll my eyes and make a gagging noise while pointing in my mouth at my throat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

They spend a lot of time in the second book pouting about their relationship. I can't remember if there is banging but I don't think so.

Fee wrote:

They didn't really get around to this until the very end of the book, though!

I think there is a lot better dystopian YA out there. Although, I admit I will read the third book.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:56 pm 
Saggy Butt

molly wrote:
They spend a lot of time in the second book pouting about their relationship. I can't remember if there is banging but I don't think so.

so they're in a really annoying relationship AND then they get stupid about it?
NOT INTO IT!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:11 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

molly wrote:

Fee wrote:

They didn't really get around to this until the very end of the book, though!

I think there is a lot better dystopian YA out there. Although, I admit I will read the third book.

And that's the best part. Literally the last page is the best part of Insurgent. BUT it was enough to have me on board for the third.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:00 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I was pretty meh about Divergent, but I read Insurgent anyway and I thought the whole explanation given at the end about how the factions came about was really weak and stupid. Plus Insurgent was just kind of terrible anyway. I probably won't read the third one.