| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day! Celine and Tami's new boo
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:02 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ooh! it's $10! I am going to order it. That's an awesome deal.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:14 am 
Ninja Master

Mine shipped early and arrived on Saturday! It looks fab, I'm looking forward to trying some recipes out soon.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:32 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I just ordered mine. SO excited for that package to arrive!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bunniee wrote:
Amazon has the book on discount for Prime members - 48% off the regular price.

whoah!!!!!! i just ordered 4 books. (tons of vegan books are on sale "vegan on the cheap", veganomicon, "vegan sandwiches save the day", "quick fix vegan", "eat vegan on $4 a day", "wild about greens", "vegan holiday kitchen" and a whole slew of others.)

procrastination pays sometimes. yay!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

Ohoo, mine came today! :)
It looks gorgeous. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I just bought this at Powell's on my holiday to the US! I can't wait to get home and cook from it. My very vegan friendly (but still omni) husband is also very excited--possibly more excited than he's been for a cookbook since VCTOTW.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:12 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

daisysunshine wrote:
Ohoo, mine came today! :)
It looks gorgeous. :)

Mine did too! I don't know what to make first. I think I'll start with the moo free seitan and cook it in the crockpot, so I don't have to heat up the kitchen.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:45 am 
Saggy Butt

I don't know where to start I want to cook all the things! I'm curious about the soy wraps (p73), I don't think I've seen these soy wrappers in my travels.

Dagwood sandwich is topping the list so far, it looks so much like the sandwiches Shaggy and Scooby always ate. That said how can I not make Shawarma first?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:32 am 
Nailed to the V

I'm going to be making the no-cluck cutlets. :) I was wanting a cutlet for next week anyway :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:19 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Would someone who has the book be so kind as to tell me how fake meat-heavy the recipes are (e.g., tofu and tempeh, yay; soy curls and imitation deli meat, no thank you)? I am very interested in having some great new lunchbox options, but I'm just not into plant foods that are too much like meat.

Ah, you know, I'll probably buy the book anyway because I'm a vegan cookbook hors d'oeuvre and I REAlly canNOT resist theme cookbooks... I just wish the publisher had given Amazon the index to show as sample pages.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:59 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

RunLonger wrote:
Would someone who has the book be so kind as to tell me how fake meat-heavy the recipes are (e.g., tofu and tempeh, yay; soy curls and imitation deli meat, no thank you)? I am very interested in having some great new lunchbox options, but I'm just not into plant foods that are too much like meat.

Ah, you know, I'll probably buy the book anyway because I'm a vegan cookbook hors d'oeuvre and I REAlly canNOT resist theme cookbooks... I just wish the publisher had given Amazon the index to show as sample pages.

I don't see any recipes in the book that use commercial meat analogs. Most are based on legumes, tofu, tempeh, vegetables, and grains. A few recipes call for seitan, and there's a recipe for making that too. You could probably substitute grilled or baked tofu for seitan although it wouldn't have the same taste & texture.

I wouldn't put soy curls in the same category as fake deli meat, but that's just me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Some of the recipes are seitan based. I can't recall any that require a store bought sub without there also being a provided recipe. Celine and Tami really don't roll that way in any of their books.

This isn't Skinny bisque where a sandwich equals a slice of fake cheese and a slice of Tofurkey on vegan bread, but a lot of the sandwiches are vegan versions of meat based sandwiches.

I've only made the green monster bread so far; that was amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

I was planning to make my very first seitan (staring Terri's recipe), but since my book came, I decided to make cutlets instead (the No Cluck ones). Stupidly I forgot to add garlic IN the cutlet, but i added a lot of garlic powder + the minced stuff in the broth it simmered in to help it along). they SMELL awesome (and very chickeny) :D.

I read in a cookbook recently to keep the broth and continue to simmer future seitans in it. I might do that. I've never made seitan before - i might give these a quick little fry up before i make my sandwich. (nothing from the book, just a lettuce, cuke, aioli chicken cutlet sandwich) :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:55 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

RunLonger wrote:

I just paged through the book. Here's the breakdown:
Thirteen sandwiches that call for seitan (using the three recipes provided), plus two that just call for vital wheat gluten (one of the bread recipes and the Meat(less) Ball Subs). Oh, and it says "a couple recipes" call for TVP, but I didn't see it outside of the aforementioned subs. As for other processed food, three call for vegan cream cheese. JSYK, there are 77 other sandwich recipes and nothing calling for store-bought cheese.

Personally, the hardest things to locate are the creamed coconut (it probably means a trip to Whole Foods) and the optional maca powder.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:54 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Lavawitch and Bunniee, thanks for helping me understand the "flavor" of this book.

TinLychee, that was kind of above and beyond! I appreciate your accounting!

I ordered it. Vegan sandwiches ahead!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:56 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I made the beans not on toast for dinner yesterday. Hmmm, not sure if I like it. A little too vinegary for my liking. It called for 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, but no sweetener to counter it. And after you add the vinegar it doesn't cook off, because the instructions were to cook for 1 minute after adding. I added some agave (about 1 tbsp) and tried to cook for longer (10-12 mins) but still too sour for my tastes.

Next time, I'll half the vinegar and add more agave. I wanna give it a chance after all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:23 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

RunLonger wrote:
Lavawitch and Bunniee, thanks for helping me understand the "flavor" of this book.

TinLychee, that was kind of above and beyond! I appreciate your accounting!

I ordered it. Vegan sandwiches ahead!

You're welcome!

I made the Protein-Happy Quinoa Wraps last night. They are amazing. I didn't have any cannellini beans, but lima beans made a fine substitution.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:50 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

My almost-vegan friend with the book made the falafel burgers for me last night. Tomato, avocado, and pepper were great accompaniments. So flavorful, plus no bread necessary because they are so thick and hearty!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:08 pm 
Nailed to the V

No cluck cutlets are FREAKING amazing. I'm going to make more + the moo ones and just have them in the freezer :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:17 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Just got mine!

I haven't had a chance to look at it closely, but I'm really excited for the chickpea shwarma, the eggplant recipes, and the tempeh recipes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:51 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I made the mushroom tomato slices and the gobbler slices, and both are great! The mushroom tomato ones remind me of smoked tomato field roast. I'm going to make the muffuletta later this week.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:03 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Has anyone made the peanut butter brownie sandwiches? I was wondering if there was a picture of it anywhere. I won a copy through Joni's blog and am planning a selection of sandwiches for MoFo this year. For some reason I thought I had seen photos of these but can't find it now. It is entirely possible that I have mixed up my recipes.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:20 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

pandacookie wrote:
Has anyone made the peanut butter brownie sandwiches? I was wondering if there was a picture of it anywhere. I won a copy through Joni's blog and am planning a selection of sandwiches for MoFo this year. For some reason I thought I had seen photos of these but can't find it now. It is entirely possible that I have mixed up my recipes.

I was thinking about these tonight. I'm out of sugar, so I couldn't make the cookies but will stock up tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:39 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

pandacookie wrote:

Congrats, Panda!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:34 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hope you don't mind me butting into this thread again, but Michelle has a great picture of the PB brownie sandwiches right here: http://my-zoetrope.blogspot.com/2011/10 ... iches.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next