| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dear vegans, stop posting dead animals on facebook.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:37 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Tea wrote:
8ball wrote:
No tips sorry, I couldn't even make it through the trailer for 'Earthlings'.

This is maybe a bit off topic, but I had never actually watched Earthlings before; the descriptions in text were enough for me to stop eating animals several years back. Inspired by this topic, I decided to watch it last night. Yeah.

Oh, if you want to talk about it I kind of would like some one friendly to discuss it with. I am very visual and have amazing powers of self deception so even though I knew some of this stuff abstractly it took actually watching Earthlings for me to make the leap. It has not been long but I know after watching it I will never go back and in my books that makes this material worthwhile as I know I am likely not unique in this sense (although I do think it ought to come with all sorts of warning labels as it is really disturbing). Most of us are really conditioned by our environments and I really loved cheese pre-vegan. Sometimes my brain still sees it and says "yummy". Then the part that watched the video chimes in "cheese=suffering mommy and baby cows... cue visual images....argh!" I'm sorry if this is off topic. Anyone who would like to have a conversation about dealing with the aftermath of watching Earthlings please pm me. Sad face.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:01 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Bumping because apparently it bears repeating! I've just started hiding/unliking, i've tried reasoning with people and saying "hey, you're upsetting me." I had a dream that my dog died and I woke up and cried and put him in a death hug while he grumped, images of dead animals stay with me for a long time. I am sensitive, you pricks!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:32 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ugh. suuuucks. woodstock farm animal sanctuary posted something awful recently and I had to hide them. I know they do a ton of good, but I can't deal with dead animal pictures, period.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:19 am 
Semen Strong

Why would you use the FB messenger function to send me a video of a dog getting shot? Why? I was eating breakfast and it popped up because you "thought I'd want to see this."

NO! I want to see your cute holiday pictures, hear about your boyfriend and inspirational quotes, not see dead dogs!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:05 am 

Please tell me you immediately defriended that person.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

oh my god! :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:12 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Seriously? what the fizzle is wrong with people?

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:21 am 
Nailed to the V

YES PLEASE!!!!!!!
I have a few who regularly post dying pets pics with an automatic message saying they are "REALLY EXCITED" about it !!!!!!!??????????

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:01 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Just had to unfriend another rescue. Now I will spend the rest of the night trying not to be heartbroken about what I saw.
Ugh ugh ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:38 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I've had to hide certain people or pages I like from my newsfeed I like due to pictures they continually post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I was near the computer today when my mom logged onto fb, and one of her friends had shared a horrible picture of a dog being dragged by his neck. The caption said something like "share if you are against this" and it had been shared a shitload of times. Just W.T.F.? What does sharing the photo do, besides traumatise people who just want to log onto fb and see what their friends are up to? You don't need to share photos of animal abuse to prove to everyone that you are against animal abuse.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:18 pm 

I am against the abuse of my eyeballs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:23 am 
ugh

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
You don't need to share photos of animal abuse to prove to everyone that you are against animal abuse.

QFT.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have a friend who keeps posting about animal cruelty and it pissing me off cause she's not vegan! I'm really trying to not let it get to me though. Cause I firmly believe that anyone who is pro animal rights is better than nothing. She has said over times that she is vegetarian, but I've def seen her eat meat and not care. I just don't understand how you can feel strongly enough about animal cruelty that you will clutter up your facebook with images of hurt dead animals but then turn around and eat them. Confused....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:39 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

GraciaKai wrote:
I have a friend who keeps posting about animal cruelty and it pissing me off cause she's not vegan! I'm really trying to not let it get to me though. Cause I firmly believe that anyone who is pro animal rights is better than nothing. She has said over times that she is vegetarian, but I've def seen her eat meat and not care. I just don't understand how you can feel strongly enough about animal cruelty that you will clutter up your facebook with images of hurt dead animals but then turn around and eat them. Confused....

YES. I have two FB friends like this. I ended up hiding them because it got me raging every time (not actually raging at them on FB, but raging inside my own head).

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:37 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yes, I know what gelatin is made from. No, I don't need to look at pictures of gross animal parts to remember this. I don't get what the purpose is of posting such photos, especially to vegans or vegan friendly supporters.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:25 pm 

bunniee wrote:
Yes, I know what gelatin is made from. No, I don't need to look at pictures of gross animal parts to remember this. I don't get what the purpose is of posting such photos, especially to vegans or vegan friendly supporters.

Yeah, thanks Food Fight. *unlike*

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:47 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Yeah, posting that was pretty weird, but that's the first time I've ever seen them post a photo of something on Facebook like that so I just hit the hide button on that particular post.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:17 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

mrsbadmouth wrote:
bunniee wrote:

Yeah, thanks Food Fight. *unlike*

I actually reposted that on my FB then got a few snarky comments from friends and realized I was being the kind of person I hate. Oops.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Yeah, posting that was pretty weird, but that's the first time I've ever seen them post a photo of something on Facebook like that so I just hit the hide button on that particular post.

I hid the picture on my newsfeed at first, then clicked unlike on their FB page after reading some of the comments defending the post. You guys are so awesome, I almost forgot how some vegans can be outside of the PPK.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:05 pm 

Yeah, people always assume i'm not vegan because I object to dead animal parts being shoved in my face, like I can't handle the truth. Also I saw the dude who was like, "This looks nothing like an animal, it's just like seeing a rotisserie chicken at the store." Well for one, no one shoves a dead chicken in my face. They would get smacked. And two, when I go out to eat with omnivores, or somehow end up at the back of the grocery store near the meat counter, I expect to see meat. I don't expect to get trolled on facebook by other vegans.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just had to hide all posts from a local AR group because they posted 3 of these IN A ROW! Most people who sign up to AR groups are already on board, wouldn't you think?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:43 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I know we're all mystified by this behavior, but if you look at the Food Fight post, for example, it got over 100 likes and 64 shares on Facebook. For reasons I completely do not understand, a lot of vegans love this stuff. Sometimes it feels like we're in the minority.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I suspect that it feeds the need for some people to celebrate their own self-righteousness.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Gah!!!!!!! I log onto facebook and top of my feed a photo of a dog being hanged and a "like if you are against" GET LOST!!!!!!!! I was enjoying my pack of crisps onto that point. Liking a bloody photo isn't going to stop abuse against animals you dumb shiitake!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next