| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:24 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

ijustdiedinside wrote:
cupcake wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
I used carrageenan. I know the recipe says it will be more like cheese that has been left out at room temperature, but after a night in the fridge, it's not really sliceable at all. I do really love the tanginess of the cheese. I am going to try the plain cashew cheese and make the boursin. I want to try something without nooch in it. I love nooch, but it can be pretty overpowering.

Which carrageenan did you use, kapa (for firm gels) or lota (for soft gels)? I'm not sure which one to order.

Kappa! I asked the same question on another page and then realized it says in the glossary to use Kappa.

Thanks! I'm ordering it today. I am so excited!

By the way, have you played with the whipped topping recipe yet?

Julie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:06 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Not yet! I got super excited about it and ordered all this molecular gastronomy stuff and then had to write my thesis :( But! it's turned in now, so that's on my agenda for this week.

In other cheese news, I've got the basic cashew cheese culturing as well as the meltable jack. they've been culturing for about 6 hours and right now the jack tastes surprisingly like Follow Your Heart, which I love, so that's awesome! I used Silk plain yogurt.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:40 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Not yet! I got super excited about it and ordered all this molecular gastronomy stuff and then had to write my thesis :( But! it's turned in now, so that's on my agenda for this week.

In other cheese news, I've got the basic cashew cheese culturing as well as the meltable jack. they've been culturing for about 6 hours and right now the jack tastes surprisingly like Follow Your Heart, which I love, so that's awesome! I used Silk plain yogurt.

I can't wait to hear what you come up with on the topping!

Thanks for the heads-up on the yogurt you used. I was wondering which brands will taste best. I saw Whole Soy plain unsweetened at Whole Foods, but haven't tried it yet. I'm really excited to try my hand with Miyokos cheese recipes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:49 pm 

Julie, I love WholeSoy unsweetened. Silk Plain is still a bit sweetened. I was looking for the WholeSoy stuff when I went to whole foods the other day, but they only had Silk. I think it's working ok, but I really like WholeSoy for texture and flavor the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:25 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Just ordered this and I'm REALLY psyched about it!

Edit: Also, Hello Vegan MoFo material!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:22 am 
Nooch of Earl

I made my rejuvelac from rye as well, and I wouldn't have described it as lemony - it tasted more like sauerkraut to me, and smelled kinda funky.

obTofulish: Definitely did not taste like cake.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:02 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I'm still waiting for the book to become available here, but I did make some crème fraîche/sour creme by making the basic cashew cheese except with blanched almonds and a little more liquid. I used it as the white layer in a lasagna and it was awesome. It's also really good on sandwiches. Thank you Miyoko for giving us the idea to combine nuts with rejuvelac!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:30 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

So, how sour should the rejuvelac be? I made mine with quinoa, and it was definitely sprouted, but it's been sitting for a few days, and I tasted it today, and it tasted kinda like quinoa soaking water. I'm guessing I should let it sit a bit longer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:40 pm 

DTBK, try mixing it up a little. I dunno why, but when I made it, it didn't seem like anything was happening to it and I think the fermented-ness of it was down at the bottom because when I mixed it up it tasted lemony and then I let it sit for a little bit longer and it seemed perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

This book is featured on the cover of the new VegNews. There are a bunch of recipes in the article (and gorgeous photos), so maybe that will help those of you who can't get the book yet. My book arrived today, too, very excited to try the recipes. I really appreciate the author's availability this thread to answer questions.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:05 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Thanks ijdi! I'll try shaking it up when I get home, then letting it sit overnight.

I am so excited to try out some of these cheeses. I finally got the right kind of carrageenan, too. I ended up ordering mine from http://www.modernistpantry.com/ - shipping wasn't too bad, I got 100g of the kappa for less than $20.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

Ok, this was on sale again on Amazon, so I snapped it up. Won't get it until next week, though. Is there anything I should pick up while I'm waiting? I have raw cashews and quinoa, that's about it. Can I get the carrageenan locally or is it something that has to be ordered online? We have a couple of brewshops in town if that's an option?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:30 pm 
Naked Under Apron

designedtobekind wrote:
So, how sour should the rejuvelac be? I made mine with quinoa, and it was definitely sprouted, but it's been sitting for a few days, and I tasted it today, and it tasted kinda like quinoa soaking water. I'm guessing I should let it sit a bit longer.

i tasted mine before i strained it after maybe 36 hours and it really tasted sorta like lemon juice. so i think you should try ijdi's advice.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:26 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Oh no! Something went wrong with my brown rice and it never sprouted. It's quite warm here, so I expected it to sprout quickly. Today is the third day and still--nothing. Then, upon closer inspection, I saw mold coating the top of the rice in the jar, this morning, even though I have been rinsing it twice a day. What went wrong???

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:18 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

PoesiePie wrote:
Oh no! Something went wrong with my brown rice and it never sprouted. It's quite warm here, so I expected it to sprout quickly. Today is the third day and still--nothing. Then, upon closer inspection, I saw mold coating the top of the rice in the jar, this morning, even though I have been rinsing it twice a day. What went wrong???

First, a disclaimer. I know very little about sprouting/rejuvelac-ing, etc. However, I've never had any problem sprouting anything, EXCEPT brown rice. Mine never sprouted, it just got all stinky and gross. I would try a different grain.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:32 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Interesting! I just got some quinoa, so I'm going to try again. A lot of people seem to have had luck with that, but now I'm scared!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:03 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Miyoko, I have a question about coconut oil. I've made a raw cashew cheese with it before and the whole thing ended up tasting like coconuts! There wasn't that much in there so I'm worried about it after looking over some the recipes in your book (like the brie, which I want to make SO badly!). It was the kind sold at Trader Joe's, is it just the wrong product? A friend told me there are some coconut oils that don't taste coconutty, I'm not sure what to get!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:12 am 
Inflexitarian

Disclaimer: I have not read the book or any of the recipes so you probably shouldn't listen to me.

I'm guessing you need refined coconut oil rather than regular, virgin, extra-virgin whatever coconut oil. The refined stuff should have little or no coconut taste.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:36 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Right,miyoko says to use a refined oil to avoid a strong coconutty flavor.
I'm on day 3 of rinsing quinoa for rejuvelac,and some of it has sprouted.Is it okay to go to step two,or does most of the quinoa need those little sprout tails?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:42 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi, I'm new at the PPK, and since cheese was my thing before going vegan, I figure this is a good a place to jump in as any. Amazon delivered Miyoko's book a few days ago, and so far I've made my rejuvelac from brown rice (took forever!), located all the accessory ingredients like agar powder and carrageenan, and finally actually mixed up batches of both gouda and sharp cheddar yesterday. While they were beginning their culturing process, I received the latest issue of VegNews, with more great Miyoko recipes, including one for sharp cheddar which calls for using a lot more rejuvelac during the thickening process - very different than the book's recipe.

So now I'm stumped. I guess I still have time to thicken with the additional rejuvelac? While there are slight differences in the "base" recipe, I'm assuming it would still work, but since I'm a noob at this, maybe I shouldn't tempt fate.

Miyoko, if you're checking this thread, what are the different results between the book's cheddar recipe and the one in VegNews? I believe that the brie and the mozzarella recipes in the magazine are also different than the book - are these improvements from your additional recipe development since the book went to press? I want to be the best vegan cheesemaker I can be!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:00 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I'm out of town this weekend with little internet access so will be brief. You have to use refinedcoxonut oil. Spectrum makes one. The mozzarella in VegNews is an improvement - i'll post more in a blog on Monday.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:46 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yay! I was able to order it from a Dutch webshop. My copy will arrive somewhere next week. So exited!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:30 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I now have these fearsome looking tubs of kappa carrageenan, agar agar agar agar agar agar, and soy lecithin (saw it on amazon and figured I might as well, for other random recipes) in addition to my xanthan gum and nasty organic fishygeenan. Things are about to get REAL.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:08 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Oh, I wish I had taken pictures... Sadly, my camera batter charger is nowhere to be found...

I made the mozzarella and the sharp cheddar. The mozzarella was quickly eaten with these delicious tomatoes and basil I had lying around.

Then I used the sharp cheddar to make some mac & cheese. It was glorious! I think I put a tad too much miso in the cheddar, but it was delicious. Nicely sharp, too, even though I didn't let it "age" that long after molding it. I brought the baked mac & cheese topped with garlicy bread crumbs into work and it was a hit! Even with the extra miso in the cheese! :)

I'll definitely be making more (after I make the monterey jack and air-dried gouda) and I'll put in less miso... but next time I'll make grilled cheese sandwiches!

Also, this is not a recipe in the book, but I made almond milk a week ago and tossed the solids that I strained out into a container in the freezer. I normally use them for almond ricotta anyway by adding just a smidge of salt and adding in a tablespoon or less of lemon juice... So I decided to salt and culture the pasty almond solids with a splash (about 2 teaspoons-1 tablespoon, eyeballed) of rejuvelac after I thawed them. I let it culture for about 4 hours in a warmer-than-normal-room-temperature kitchen (it was probably about 76-77 degrees F, I think). The result was DELICIOUS!!! I highly recommend trying it. I used the ricotta by baking some mini tomato, basil, garlic, almond ricotta pies. I don't have measurements, but I'll try making the ricotta again...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:46 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I ordered my copy of Artisan Vegan Cheese last week and am desperate for it to arrive! All these reviews sound very promising! :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 62  Next