| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Toronto
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:02 pm 
Inflexitarian

Btw, is there any way to acquire a PPK t-shirt other than through the website? Paypal does not accept my credit card for some reason, and it never has. It is the only place I've ever had trouble using my credit card online and, unfortunately, it's forking everywhere.

Otherwise, I may have to wear something else distinctive for the veg food fest.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:01 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Tea wrote:
Anybody here have a truck or a van or something? I'm moving to a new place September 1st and am trying to figure out how I'm going to do it.

What about using something like http://www.cargocabbie.ca

I've never used them myself, but they do little jobs like single item moves, so if you don't have a ton of stuff it might be cheaper than regular movers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:50 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

THE DAIYA WEDGES ARE HERE!!!!! I got some at Baldwin Naturals, and I know The Big Carrot is expecting to get them very soon. Happy, happy, tummy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:37 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

There's a Groupon today for Commensal:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/commensal-toronto-1?sd=false&utm_campaign=VisitorReferral&utm_medium=email&utm_source=anonymous

I don't quite get how it works if it's a pay by weight place, but they have a Groupon for a dinner for two and for a dinner for four.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:04 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

You can either buy $35 or $70 worth of Commensal goodies. They just assume that's dinner for either two or four.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:35 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

There's a raw vegan stall in the big food barn at the Ex this year!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:31 am 

Is anyone going to see Will Tuttle on Thursday? It's pay-what-you-can, I think they are suggesting a donation of $10.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:12 am 
WELFARIST!

lobsteriffic wrote:
Is anyone going to see Will Tuttle on Thursday? It's pay-what-you-can, I think they are suggesting a donation of $10.

I was thinking about going, actually. I think he's at the Zoe Koffler centre? I got an email from the Toronto vegan meetup group. Also, I get too easily traumatized just hearing about any animal cruelty (if that's even going to be part of the talk, I actually don't know much about Will Tuttle) but that's what makes me hesitate about going the most.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:29 pm 

Yeah! It's at the Koffler Centre. I don't know if animal cruelty will be talked about. He's a zen master and has written about altruism and what-not, so I'm guessing that's not a major focus.

If other PPKers will be there I'll wear my PPK shirt. PLEASE say hello - I have lived in Toronto for 6-7 weeks and I haven't met any other vegans yet. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:12 pm 

so I'm not sure I'll have enough time to go home and change before the talk, so I won't have my PPK shirt afterall, but if any of you go and see a really tall girl with thick black glasses and brown curly hair, that's probably me!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm still not sure if I'm going to make it. But if I don't, we can connect another time! I'd love to chat with you about being vegan in Toronto (and other things).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:40 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm planning on going at this point but I'll probably sit near the back in case he talks about testy stuff that'll haunt me too much so I can slip out unnoticed. Also, I've had to work late every day this week and not sure why tomorrow would be an exception. On the other hand, I've been too reclusive lately and need to get the hell out of my apt once in a while, work be damned!

I'll probably be wearing my Teal Cat Project shirt because I think my PPK shirt is presently in the dirty laundry. Also, whatever I wear, that's me in my av so you can reconize me.

If I go, I'll definitely look out for you!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:16 pm 
Inflexitarian

Where is the Koffler centre? I know there's a Koffler building of some sort on the U of T campus but the crazy folks who get buildings named after them occasionally get more than one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:23 pm 
WELFARIST!

Tea wrote:
Where is the Koffler centre? I know there's a Koffler building of some sort on the U of T campus but the crazy folks who get buildings named after them occasionally get more than one.

It's 569 Spadina Avenue.

Here's a link to a page that describes the event and has a link to a map.

http://www.meetup.com/animalrights-174/events/76303182/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:48 pm 

okay so I think I'm going to be wearing a leopard print dress tomorrow and a black cardigan (because I'm a nerd and always lay out my clothes the night before).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:37 pm 
Inflexitarian

Oh sweet. I'm not familiar with him but it's less than a five minute walk from where I live and work and there's going to be free food. Sold! If I don't forget, look for me where the food is wearing this shirt: http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Sc ... =DC-SHIRTS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:57 pm 
Inflexitarian

Okay I'm pretty busy at this moment so I'm probably not going to make it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

yeah, it's not looking good for me, either. At this point, if I go, that means I'll have to work until 2:00 a.m. (got a late start today). If I don't go, I can knock off work around 10:30 p.m. And tomorrow is another work day so...unlikely I can take the time out today to get downtown and so on. I'll probably have to catch you all at the Veg Food Fair in September.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:49 pm 
WELFARIST!

So...if any of you guys went...can you tell me how this was? I do regret missing it but it turns out it really was impossible for me to go tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:22 am 

I went! It was pretty good. There was a bit of him talking about how many animals are killed each day for food, but it wasn't an animal cruelty talk by any means. He really brought things back and framed them in a positive light, which I appreciated. I think I'm going to look for his book in the library.

And as an aside, if anyone ever wants to get together and grab a beer or whatever let me know! I need vegan buddies! :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:44 pm 
Inflexitarian

I'd like to propose post-veg food fest drinks.

I also go to Hot Beans a lot, so if at any point you're like "I want a burritio RIGHT NOW" and it's, say, approximately dinner time, I might be up for burritos if there's nothing else going on. Actually any delicious dinner place in the Kensington Market area.. I tend to be busy but I have to eat sometime.

Speaking of which, I'm usually totally stuffed after eating a burrito. But today I went immediately after working out and I'm -still hungry- post burrito. This has never happened before. Turns out, I was really hungry after my run.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:56 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I am proud to say I have devoured an entire seitan burrito from Hot Beans by myself, post-tattoo. I was absolutely famished and had tattoo-related adrenaline still flowing through my system and I showed that burrito who's boss.

Two weeks until Veg Fest! It's going to be a busy Saturday, so many speakers! I'm planning on going to Taymer Mason, Terry and Isa that day. Let's figure out a meetup time and place soon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:53 pm 
Inflexitarian

Do you have one of their 9 burritos 1 free cards? They don't seem to advertise them, but I filled and traded in my first one last week. It was a truly momentous occasion. It was getting kind of gross because I spilled coffee on it at least twice. My new one is so clean, so sparkling white, so unmangled by my pocket... it's like a new beginning. A new burrito beginning.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:08 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Mmm, I just had a trucker's breakfast burrito. WITH nacho cheeze. So delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:58 pm 
Inflexitarian

Aaaahh. I move on Saturday. I'm getting stupidly anxious about this. I've reserved a U-haul, but I'm looking at the details and I'm really worried about coverage for accidental damage. I signed up for the waiver than apparently covers accidental damage, but I'm looking at the details and it keeps going on about you "personal auto insurance plan"... I don't have any automobile insurance. I don't own a vehicle and I never have, why do they think I'm renting one?

Anyway, my anxiety is flying out of control because I'm convinced I'm going to get into a fender bender and then go bankrupt from repair expenses. The price of a U-haul cargo-van is significantly higher than my entire years salary.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next