| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: blatant product placement
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:49 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Is it just me or is this getting a bit ridiculous?

I have noticed characters talking about the features of their cars, their smart phones, and even gel insoles to make their heels more comfortable. I know it is the price I pay for wanting to fast forward through the DVRed commercials, but some things are getting comical.

Post subject: Re: blatant product placement
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:59 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yes! it's out of control. Bones is one of the worst offenders! There was one season when Eureka was sponsored by Degree deodorant...that was a disaster.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:29 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Yep, it so blatant. Master Chef has been getting on my nerves with how much it talks about Walmart.

Almost every show is guilty of it, so I can't even point fingers any more. But Vampire Diaries, I'm looking at you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:31 am 
WELFARIST!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:32 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

I love the big Sprite sign in Pod People.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:33 am 
WELFARIST!

There was that failed product placement that they tried to do for a phone in PLL. It was so obvious what they were doing that I think it just annoyed viewers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Bones is absolutely the worst.

One entire season of One Tree Hill was blatantly, ridiculously sponsored by Sunkist Orange soda. So noticeable, as you pretty much never see that stuff anywhere in real life.

I've been watching Pretty Little Liars the last month or so and am almost caught up to the current episodes. I've actually been surprised at how few product placements there are - that show is rife with opportunity, given how much time they spend on their phones. I'm shocked the whole thing hasn't been a Sprint commercial since day 1.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:02 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I think the show that wins has to be Passions (also, why aren't episodes online?!). It was such a cheesy, over-the-top show anyway, so the product placement was equally so. I am pretty sure one of the characters held, and talked about, a bottle of shampoo for at least a week.

ETA: Now I am obsessing with how meta the show was. When the book about the show came out, the character who supposedly "wrote" the book had a book signing at the show's cafe. As a plot point on the show.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:14 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

They Hyundai product placement was so blatant on the Burn Notice episode I was watching last night. It was like the main character was doing a commercial voice-over. And now that I think about it the Hyundai advertising was really bad in The Walking Dead.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:07 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

The Glades is as bad as Bones when it comes to car placements.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:16 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

There was a really gratuitous thing in Fringe where somebody bought a cup of coffee by waving their (obviously branded) phone over a sensor and using, I dunno, some kind of phone payment system thingy in the first couple of minutes of the episode. Then they used that as sort of a plot direction thingy in a seriously blatant and obvious way-- like, "Their phone says they just bought a cup of coffee at the stand on the station platform." "Their PHONE?" "Yeah, this is how people buy things now." Well, no it isn't.

The the person who bought the coffee perished in a maelstrom of exploding blood from their pores or melted into goo or was dissolved into dust by nanomachines or something, so it wasn't really a great thing to have connected with buying stuff by phone, but there it was anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:52 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Nebraskalaska wrote:
They Hyundai product placement was so blatant on the Burn Notice episode I was watching last night.

YES.
I was laughing so hard. It basically said, a Hyundai is the best spy-car evah!!...!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:00 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Does Project Runway count? They've always had blatant product placement, but at least it's usually somehow related to the theme of the show (L'Oreal and the like) but the recent Lexus challenge was just ridiculous.

I don't watch many US shows anymore, so I haven't seen how out of control it's gotten, but the first time I thought it had really gone over the edge was the Friends episode "The One with the Apothecary Table" which was one long ad for Pottery Barn.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:34 am 
A Bad Person

Product placement is just one of the reasons Bones is awful, but it is particularly bad on that show. I've only seen it when I absolutely could not reach couch escape velocity, and one of those few episodes was the one where they went to see Avatar. Really. A whole episode half-dedicated to camping out for Avatar.

This kind of thing gets into video games too, even good games. A particularly egregious example is Shawn White Skateboard, which was almost entirely sponsored by Stride gum. Alan Wake, which is fantastic, has some pretty obvious product placement, with the batteries in the game being specifically Energizer, and Verizon. At one point Alan utters the words "Can you hear me now?" into his cellphone, and there is an achievement for watching a 30 second Verizon commercial in the game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:38 am 
A Bad Person

Oh and we can't forget the most obvious video games sponsored by products; Yo! Noid, Cool Spot, McKids, that Pepsi game, Chex Quest. I put those in a different category than games that are blatantly sponsored by non-video game related products. Oh and Darkened Skye, which looked like your typical Gamecube action RPG, except that it's all about Skittles. That one was sneaky.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:01 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Cars tend to be the biggest one I notice (no pun intended...) I once got stuck with a rental Versa while my car was being repaired and couldn't get in without shouting "To the Nissan Versa!" (or whatever Hiro said in Heroes) Breaking Bad is all about the cars, too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:10 am 
Hip Goiter

CORPORATIONS RUN OUR WORRRRLD.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:13 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Mr. Shankly wrote:
There was that failed product placement that they tried to do for a phone in PLL. It was so obvious what they were doing that I think it just annoyed viewers.

Oh and their Emily-won-a-Corolla-even-though-she-was-in-the-middle-of-another-plot-twist thing was so bad. Because everyone knows they raffle off cars as door prizes at high school dances.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:21 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

For some reason I thought that HBO was exempt from product placement besides for Apple computers everywhere, but it was a little much when a character on True Blood says "it's all about the Sonic". Why don't you just look at the camera and scream, go buy Sonic! Bah! So annoying.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:58 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You guys are making me glad that I don't watch any of these shows!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:08 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

brian wrote:
Product placement is just one of the reasons Bones is awful, but it is particularly bad on that show. I've only seen it when I absolutely could not reach couch escape velocity, and one of those few episodes was the one where they went to see Avatar. Really. A whole episode half-dedicated to camping out for Avatar.

I was going to ask what show you were watching because I do not remember that, but...

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2009/12/ ... s-episode/

My favorite is when Always Sunny started being sponsored by Coors Light (the worst beer for the worst bar?), and it was clear that they were blowing all of that money on the rights to play famous songs in the show for no reason. Like there's one where you can hear 'We Built This City' on in the background. No one comments on it, it doesn't tie into the episode in any way.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Maggie Muggins wrote:
For some reason I thought that HBO was exempt from product placement besides for Apple computers everywhere, but it was a little much when a character on True Blood says "it's all about the Sonic". Why don't you just look at the camera and scream, go buy Sonic! Bah! So annoying.

And this is why I love 30 Rock, hey at least get to make fun of it from time to time.

The Apple thing is pretty much on every TV show, movie, etc. Brilliant marketing plus deeply loyal fans in high places make this a given. If I were in charge, everyone would use ASUS tablets, but whatever.

I never noticed that about Always Sunny, but I just watch it the Comedy Central night on Mondays when I have time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:25 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

It was either the last season or the season before that when it started. They don't talk about the beer, but they have commercials about them being sponsored by Coors and there's a Coors tap and bottles in the bar and shiitake.

Oh, Rupaul is also great at cheeky product placement. Drag Race and Drag U is paid for by a lot of little sponsors instead of just a few big ones (although they do have Absolut), so an example will be, "The winner of today's challenge will receive a custom sequined gown from gownsforqueens.com. That's gownsforqueens.com!" Followed by a wink right at the camera with a ding. Also you should check out Rupaul's new single, now available on iTunes.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

brian wrote:
Chex Quest

I totally forgot about Chex Quest! Gameplay was great. The baddies not so much. I can't even recall there being a story.

Don't really recall seeing any product placement lately. Other than bottles of True Blood in True Blood and Pollos Hermanos chicken in Breaking Bad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:57 pm 
A Bad Person

nickvicious wrote:
brian wrote:
Chex Quest

I totally forgot about Chex Quest! Gameplay was great. The baddies not so much. I can't even recall there being a story.

That's because it was Doom reskinned!