| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: In Praise of Shaved Kittens
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:03 pm 
Semen Strong

As some of you know I recently had our vet give Veto (aka Tiny Kitty) a lion cut, to finally get rid of all his mats. He had been so withdrawn - he was pretty much hanging out in the bathroom away from everyone and not really interacting with us.

So we had the vet shave him, and I felt so bad, thinking he'd feel weird or funny looking, but he turned out so handsome! And he is so happy, he hangs out underfoot again, he plays with things like I haven't seen in months, he is always looking to be hugged and petted and he's been jumping again. Basically he is just a really happy and affectionate cat again - I hadn't even noticed how dramatically he had changed because it deteriorated so gradually, but with the shave it all melted away and he is back to being a superfriendly kitty.

You can't tell, but he has the cutest puff on his tail :)

Just to say, that shaving your cat is awesome. They feel silky soft (like a shaved head) and it makes them feel so much better. I really hesitated on it, because I thought it would look weird but it turned out so well, and he feels so much better. He even tolerates my 9 month old munching on him :)

Post subject: Re: In Praise of Shaved Kittens
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Sweet kitty!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Chewie felt better after it was done. I am curious if Veto's hair will come back a different shade. We did a lion cut on a black cat at the shelter and her fur came back a shade of dark grey. She still had black on her face, paws and tip of her tail. It was pretty cute.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:30 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

he looks like he is really soft.
he also looks very regal!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:14 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Aww, not-so-tiny-anymore-kitty! So cute. They really are fun to pet when their fur is cut short like that.

We once had a Persian cat who had to be shaved in a lion cut because of mats. He was elderly and got cold easily, so we put a sweater on him. A shaved elderly Persian in a sweater is seriously one of the cutest/most funny looking things in existence. I wish I had photos.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:15 pm 
Semen Strong

He is SO soft now! And he loves being petted. I hadn't even realized how much the mats were bothering him, but he is like his old kitteny self. And yes NSTK is now 20+lbs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:19 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
I dig em

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

20 lbs!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:01 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Hehe! Cutie got his hair did. How was he when getting shaved? Mine flips out even if she's shaved a little. (I call my cat 'tiny-cat' even though she's not tiny now, too. X3 )

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:02 pm 
Naked Under Apron

So handsome! My parents' cat has one serious mat on her back, but close to her tail, and she does NOT want me trying to cut it out. I think she may need this (she's super fluffy and may have other mats in there too).

Anyway I'm so glad Veto is all happy again; that's great to hear. He looks pretty pleased with himself. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:07 pm 
Semen Strong

jaine-pie wrote:
Hehe! Cutie got his hair did. How was he when getting shaved? Mine flips out even if she's shaved a little. (I call my cat 'tiny-cat' even though she's not tiny now, too. X3 )

He was under full sedation. Our vet can't even examine him without him going ballistic. He is a mellow sweet kitty at home, but for some reason (maybe because he was so sick when we found him and had to be treated by the vet) he is an absolute vet killer. Even my partner and I, who routinely pet and snuggle him, can't come near him at the vet's office.

His hair cut was $250, which is pretty much more expensive than any haircut I have ever had ever (mine are all around $20 if I can avoid getting upsold some crappy shampoo). But it was worth it because it made him so happy!