| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Atlanta!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:25 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Soul Veg 2 has shakes, FYI! They're not my thing, but my boyfriend lives for shakes. The trip has been fun so far, I've been to Soul Veg 2, Sunflower, Harmony and picked up some stuff at Cosmo's and Sevananda.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:34 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Soul Veg shakes seem like sad chocolate milk to me, which is why I didn't mention them before. How did your boyfriend feel about it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:35 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Oh, and you shouldn't leave Atlanta without visiting Dulce Vegan Bakery and Cafe!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:25 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My boyfriend has to go to Atlanta for a work conference. He'll be staying at the Westin Peachtree Plaza (210 Peachtree Street Northwest). I've already gone through the Happy Cow listings and found a bunch of stuff but it's all so far away from there. He can take a cab to go somewhere for dinner, but does anyone know if there is anything within walking distance of the Westin where he could get breakfast or lunch? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:57 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Any good recommendations for vegan shoes in Atlanta, for men.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:24 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We are participating in the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale again this year! Saturday, April 28th. Details: http://www.facebook.com/events/190825404368581/

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:29 pm 
Saggy Butt

Is anyone available for dinner Monday evening? I'm coming in for a conference on Tuesday, but I'll be getting in late afternoon on Monday. I'm staying, umm...just south of Buckhead. I have no idea what that area is called. I don't want to venture too far from my hotel, as I have no sense of direction.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:44 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

We have vegan donuts, milkshakes, and soft serve now! Also, I have included some updates on the gluten-free vegan scene.

Revolution Donuts All of the vegan donuts are marked with a 'v' on the name tag. Many cake and yeast-raised options. Unsure about gluten-free options.

Dough Bakery and Gutenfleischers Deli are open now! Dough Bakery has vegan soft serve, milkshakes, and other treats. Gutenfleischers shares the space and offers vegan sandwiches, freshly baked bread, vegan meats, and more. I think they have gluten-free choices available daily.

Don't forget about Dulce Vegan, too! They offer vegan treats, soups, and sandwiches along with gluten-free vegan options.

Whole Foods, on Ponce, has vegan, yeast-raised and cake donuts and other bakery case items, like cookies, scones, muffins and such. On the day that I visited, they had a two-sided hot bar fully dedicated to vegan dishes and their standard hot bar had some vegan trays, too (I have no idea if this is a regular occurrence ). Whole Foods, at John's Creek, has vegan cookies and muffins in the case, as well as some vegan prepared foods (like mock chicken salad, ravioli, sushi, soups and such).

Vegan and gluten-free options available on Rainbow Food's hot bar, in Decatur; They are clearly marked, though they lack a detailed ingredients list. I haven't had a lot of luck with gluten-free meals at Sevananda, but they have loads of vegan prepared foods and a hot bar.

Pierson-Bell Foods has gluten-free and vegan breads, rolls, cupcakes, cakes, and other treats; I've tried some of them at Natural Foods Warehouse, in John's Creek, and they are pretty decent. I believe they have a mortar and brick operation in Marietta, but I have not checked it out yet. It's possible that these guys, at American Gra-Frutti (a gluten-free bakery) may have some gluten-free vegan stuff. The Whole Foods, in John's Creek, stocks some of their treats.

Natural Foods Warehouse is a great place to shop for pre-packaged vegan and gf vegan foods and personal care products (selection and prices are copasetic). They have freezer and refrigerated sections; No produce.

Has anyone tried Sally's Bakery? It looks like they are a gluten-free bakery with gluten-free vegan menu items. I haven't tried Jilly's Cupcakery, either, but it appears they have vegan and gluten-free options, too.

My partner tells me that the burger at Grindhouse Killer Burgers is the best in Atlanta (and the best he has ever tasted). Just FYI: There are a lot of non-vegan images on the website.

Decatur has vegan barbeque at Burnt Fork BBQ. They have several vegan and gluten-free vegan selections.

Zpizza has vegan and gluten-free vegan pizza. They use daiya cheese.

Juices Wild, in Buford, has made-to-order juices and some vegan treats and some prepared foods (examples: Hail Merry, nuts and snacks from Pure Bliss Organics, and foods from R.Thomas).

Atlanta Veg Fest is coming soon! Exciting times!

I am sure there's more, but that's all I can think of at the moment. Please support our vegan and vegan-friendly businesses!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:59 am 

I'm going to be in the area for a wedding in October! Technically, it is in Decatur, GA. I'll be renting a car, obviously, since it is a bit far from the airport, etc. I don't know how much free time that I will have since I'm a bridesmaid, but will I be too far away from the cool things? My boyfriend will have more downtime, so even some nice coffee or tea shop recommendations where he could relax and do some work would be nice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:53 pm 

Revolution Doughnuts is in Decatur, with lots of vegan doughnut options! Java Monkey in downtown Decatur is a coffee shop that offers vegan cake from Southern Sweets.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:17 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

This does not cover everything yet, but it's a great start!

Atlanta Vegan Guide

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:03 pm 

I will insist that the boy hits up Java Monkey. I'm excited for the change in venue. Hopefully I can stock up on vegan doughnuts! I will stalk this thread for more options later as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:55 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I know it's already been mentioned, but Dough Bakery is really great. I would personally recommend the bakery items and breakfast biscuits over sandwiches, but nearly everything I've had from there has been great. Really friendly folks too.

Green Sprout and Chinese Buddha are a couple really good Asian restaurants with tons and tons of vegan options.

For black bean burgers, the two best that I've found in Atlanta are at The Earl (East Atlanta) and Milltown Arms (Cabbagetown).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:58 pm 
Tofu Pup

For vegan Chinese, I ONLY deal with Chinese Buddha (Midtown, on 10th St). I've tried Green Sprout & Harmony...meh on both. We live in the Buford Hwy area, so I've had all kinds on veg Asian food. Nothing else comes close. I've taken several omnis there & fed them veg food. All have loved it.

I'm likely the dissenting opinion here, but I am NOT a fan of R. Thomas. I loved them when I lived here a few yrs ago (as a vege), but I find their vegan food incredibly bland. Plus, the caged birds kind of freak me out now.

Lov'in It Live has pretty good raw pizza, but prices (as so often are for raw food) are exorbitant. If my BF hadn't brought it home for me, I never would've tried it. $14 a 'slice'? Please.

The Whole Foods on Briarcliff is my fave in the city. They make a great pizza, and the customer service is fantastic. I live nowhere near there now, and it's still the only store I'll shop at.

Discovered Dough at VegFest. They were so considerate, and went out of their way to find a sample that my allergy-laden friend could try. For that kind of service alone I'd reco' them, but their treats are great, too.

Radial (Inman Park) is pretty good. It's standard American fare.

For luxury dining, I recommend SunDial (atop the Westin Peachtree Plaza) without equivocation. Their menu is seasonal, and they always offer a vegetarian/vegan option. If you're here in the winter, and they offer the Wild Mushroom Porcini Soup, get it. Unless you're allergic to mushrooms, of course. Phenomenal & sophisticated.

Seasons 52 is good for upscale dining as well, and they have a dedicated vegan/allergy menu. You simply have to request it. I prefer the Buckhead location, but Perimeter is also good.

Spice Market (in the W Hotel Midtown) is very accommodating to our crowd, offering a vegan menu, and more than happy to cater to requests. The chef is a doll.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Looks like I'll be here for the pet fair the first weekend of March. I've looked through the restaurant suggestions already... are any of these near the airport? I'll have a vehicle, but that's the area where I'll be staying, and close is good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:54 pm 
Inflexitarian

LaineB wrote:
For vegan Chinese, I ONLY deal with Chinese Buddha (Midtown, on 10th St). I've tried Green Sprout & Harmony...meh on both. We live in the Buford Hwy area, so I've had all kinds on veg Asian food. Nothing else comes close. I've taken several omnis there & fed them veg food. All have loved it.

I'm likely the dissenting opinion here, but I am NOT a fan of R. Thomas. I loved them when I lived here a few yrs ago (as a vege), but I find their vegan food incredibly bland. Plus, the caged birds kind of freak me out now.

I'll have to check out Chinese Buddha. I've passed by it for 7 years and always been afraid to go in. But after 2 bouts of food poisoning due to contamination at other restaurants I'm now willing to give it a try! When R. THomas changed their menu a lot of things changed for me that use to be the place my partner and I went to constantly dare I say it was "our place" now i go maybe once a year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:51 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Soul Veg 2 was good! I had the country steak and gravy with collards and mac & cheese.

Also ate at Desta Ethiopian. It was pretty different from other Ethiopian places. I'm not sure I liked it as much, but it was still pretty good and an interesting change.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We'll be in Atlanta in a few weeks for a Braves game. Definitely eating at Soul Veg 2 (the Tallahassee location is our jam), not sure where else we'll make it. Really, really want to make it to Revolution, but not sure if we'll have time or not. Anything new I should know about?? Also, from what I can tell, the Veggie dogs & burgers at Turner Field are vegan, is that true?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:10 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I've never been to Turner Field, but everything that I have read/heard says the dogs and burgers (and some other things) are vegan. What kinds of food are you into? I can try to point you into some helpful directions. Revolution Donuts is open until 8 PM on Friday and Saturdays, if that helps! I always call ahead to make sure they have donuts on hand before I made the journey. I can try to meet up with you guys somewhere, if you have time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks! We were in town Thursday but didn't have time to eat anywhere interesting (I did enjoy the juice bar in the airport though), but we'll be back Tuesday & Wednesday. It looks like we should have time to hit Revolution but I'm not sure!