| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Paris is not vegan hell! The official vegan France threa
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:41 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Since yesterday, Paris has a new vegan shop! It is called Vegan Folie's and is located in rue Mouffetard, a cute little street with a huge organic store (huge for Paris, that is) and lots of shops with non-vegan things as well in the 5th arrondissement. I went there yesterday to grab a cupcake, and it was delicious :-) They also have cheesecakes and brownies.

http://veganfolies.fr/

The Meetup group was basically killed by the second organizer, so there is a new one now: http://www.meetup.com/Paris-Vegan-Veggie/

And I am leaving this city tomorrow :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:54 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

smultron, thanks so much for posting! I recently moved to the Paris area and am now determined to visit Vegan Folies as soon as veganly possible. Vegan cupcakes in France are a rare thing not to be missed.

I also am now joining the Paris meetup group, thanks to you!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:57 pm 
Inflexitarian

Can't wait to try Vegan Folies!

I heard Oh Bio closed--does anyone know? The service was always terrible, and they always ran out of things, which may have been a sign.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:47 am 

I think all internet research points to Oh Bio! being closed. Sad. Although I'm going to be in that neighborhood tonight so I'll check for sure.

I also tried the Black Forest cupcake from Vegan Folie's yesterday. It was definitely a bit dry, but the fantastic cherry compote compensated for that. It's also worth nothing that the frosting was wonderfully vanilla-infused, not-too-sweet, and luscious. The owner was very nice and knew right away that I read her blog because I ordered without asking the flavor name. I will definitely be back for more.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:56 pm 

Does anyone know where I could get a "authentic" vegan crepe in Paris? I'm dying to have one when I go over in March!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:11 pm 

leraustin wrote:
Does anyone know where I could get a "authentic" vegan crepe in Paris? I'm dying to have one when I go over in March!!

I never saw one there... Loving Hut has salty ones. Oh Bio had salty ones, but is closed now. You could ask VG-zone, maybe they know a crêpe source: https://www.facebook.com/VG.Zone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:59 am 
Inflexitarian

smultron wrote:
leraustin wrote:

I never saw one there... Loving Hut has salty ones. Oh Bio had salty ones, but is closed now. You could ask VG-zone, maybe they know a crêpe source: https://www.facebook.com/VG.Zone

I've never seen one either. Oh Bio was the closest I've had, and they were only okay. I've seen buckwheat ones in some health food shops, but they were packaged and in the refrigerated section. Loving Hut has mushroom crepes, but I've never tried them, and don't know how "authentic" they are. I've never seen a crepe stand with vegan options. But I've made my own vegan crepes with chokenut or speculoos to feed the craving, and they taste pretty amazing.

In the south though, is socca. Which is even better that what I imagine crepes to be like. Nice and Antibes--in the eastern riviera--has stunning socca.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:42 pm 

I had this idea last night: Try The Gentle Gourmet. It is a vegan b&b - I have never been there, but I heard it is delicious. I am sure they can make some crêpes for you. You can contact them on their website or on facebook, they speak english and are very nice :-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:43 pm 

Smultron and MJ -- Thanks for the info. I did contact The Gentle Gourmet but they're going to be closed while I'm there. I think she said they were going to be in the midst of opening a restaurant. I'll see what I can turn up on VG-Zone.

Meanwhile I can't get my mind off the idea of getting a falafel from l'as du falafel.. mmmmm...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:18 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We're going to be in Paris in the first week of May for our honeymoon and we'd like to rent an apartment for a week, rather than get a hotel, because it'll work out cheaper and easier for us to eat, rather than worrying about where we're going to eat each night. I have been to Paris several times before and always stayed in hotels then, which i've done through the eurostar site, but obviously renting an apartment you can't do that. I've looked online for places to get an apartment but there are so many websites and apartments to choose from, it's a bit overwhelming. Has anyone got any experience or anywhere they'd recommend staying?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:38 pm 
Inflexitarian

I lived in Paris for a long time, and now return for a few months/year. I have had bad luck with NYHabitat--they are so expensive, there's a huge agency fee, and they were useless when there with problems with the flat I rented two years ago. Last summer I rented via Paris Address http://parisaddress.com/ and loved them. They were consistent, on time, responded to communication, and I just adored my flat. They have no agency fee (you do have to leave your credit card number for the deposit). I will definitely rent via them again. Sabbatical Homes is good if you're an academic, and can also give you access to some rental information.

Enjoy Paris! Happy lune de miel!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:00 pm 
Inflexitarian

you could also try http://paris.angloinfo.com
they have classifieds and a real estate section, and it's all in english.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:21 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Hey everyone! I'm thinking of studying abroad in France next year, and one of the programs I'm looking at places you with host families in Nantes, who feed you breakfast and 5 dinners a week. I'm afraid this might be kind of a nightmare food-wise. Otherwise, I'm also looking into programs in Paris, which might be more flexible food-wise. Any advice?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:41 pm 

As someone who has studied abroad in France twice, my advice is to not let possibly non-vegan options influence your decision too much. I love food more than most things, but studying abroad is so much more than the food.

If you really want to do the Nantes program, apply for it; your host will probably be able to accommodate you, if only by providing simple vegan meals. But if big city life is more your speed, then by all means apply for the Paris program. You will not starve in either city, but Paris will certainly be easier and much more vegan-friendly. With, you know, vegan cupcakes.
I know this sounds thoughtless, but in the end you will always find something to eat and you will be much happier in a place you love eating less delicious things than vice versa. Also, are you trying to become fluent in French? If so, that might be easier in Nantes, where there are less tourists and English-speakers. Just something else to consider.

If you want more advice/info about my experience, PM me. I'm happy to help because, while difficult, eating vegan in France is definitely doable.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:10 pm 

I leave for Europe in 4 days! Can't wait to nosh on that falafel!! I just had to get my excitement out somewhere.. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:15 pm 

We are going at the end of April! Cannot wait! <3

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:03 pm 

I'm off to Paris tomorrow, yay.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:44 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I recently came back from a week in Paris, my second visit as a vegan. I did a little write-up here of places I visited, food I consumed, etc, if anyone'd like a wee look :)

http://spiceboxofearth.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:33 am 

Paris has a new all vegan café! Breakfast, brunch, cakes and all. I haven't tried it, but it sounds excellent: http://www.gentlegourmetcafe.com/

@fooldramaqueen: You're asking for chinese restaurants in Paris in your Blog - try Tien Hiang next time! They are vegetarian, so just say you're vegan and they'll take care of it. http://www.tien-hiang.fr/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:31 pm 

We ended up staying in a place that we found on air bnb and loved it. Right in the heart of Montmartre. We went to Vegan Folies and whilst the cake was good, it was pretty expensive. Plus they didn't have much when we went. I thought it was going to be a bit of a vegan grocery store (my bad) but it wasn't. I'd recommend it though if you really want a cupcake.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:47 pm 
Hip Goiter

What would you say is the best veg-friendly French restaurant? Is Le Potager du Marais legit French food? And good quality? I only have 2 dinners in Paris this weekend and I want to make sure I pick the best ones, and I'd love to have actually French food. Thanks!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:34 pm 
Inflexitarian

I'm not a Potager du Marais fan. I think it's really expensive and not very good. I really like the soufflé and soups at Les Cinq Saveurs d'Anada. For one of your meals, you must get l'As du Falafel.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:58 pm 
Hip Goiter

Thanks so much! I really want L'as, but I have to convince boyfriend that it's not just like any good falafel (he has some crazy notion that there's a quality ceiling for falafel, and it's all basically good but similar. I don't really care, I want L'as!). And I think we're going to try for Saveurs Veget'halles and perhaps Les Cinq Saveurs d'Anada!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:06 pm 
Inflexitarian

Ah, yes! I momentarily forgot about Saveurs Veget'halles. It's good! I recommend that place very much. The mushroom dish with the blackberry sauce is really good, and I normally hate mushrooms. And their faux chicken is strangely appealing--my favourite dish there is the coconut milk/basil/eggplant/faux chicken thing.

As for the falafel, it's nothing like any falafel your beau has ever had. It's like crack. Seriously.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:11 pm 
Hip Goiter

Oh man I can't wait!

Laughfrodisiac

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next