| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Raleigh/Triangle, NC Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I really need to get to Durham & Chapel Hill more - it seems like you guys have so many more good options. We really just have the Remedy Diner here, plus the usual ethnic places. I've lived in Raleigh for almost 7 years and I think I've only been to Durham & Chapel Hill twice each!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:54 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Has anyone been to Market in Raleigh? The menu looks somewhat promising.

http://www.eatatmarket.com/menu/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've been twice. The portions are pretty small for the prices. The second time I went, they were out of every single vegan item on the menu so I had to get the ol' green salad + fries combo. The fries were good, but not really a super great lunch overall.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:47 pm 
Tofu Pup

Going to Raleigh for shopping tomorrow, which i'm stoked about. That also mean Whole Foods and Trader Joes, does anyone have any opinions on yummy things that i can buy and can travel hours in a car? Or any places that i should visit?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:47 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Starry Eyed wrote:
I'm from Greensboro, which is about and hour and a half away from Raleigh/Durham. We actually have one awesome vegetarian restaurant here in town - Boba House.

I'd have to say my favorite restaurant I've tried so far in the Triangle is the Remedy Diner, but I really liked Butternut Squash also.

Plus, how about the Bull City Vegan Challenge? Has anyone been to try any of the dishes?

What is the Bull City Vegan Challenge? It sounds like it's daring a vegan to eat off the fast food menus for a whole month.

I became a vegan for selfish reasons: I want to save MY planet, improve MY health and live by MY ethics.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:58 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

littlegarlic wrote:
Anything you guys recommend in Durham besides Shabu Shabu? How about anything in Lexington, NC? I'm going to Durham for a wedding this weekend but will need to eat beforehand and then on my way back the next day, I have to stop for lunch in Lexington, which appear to have a dirth of veg options.

I live in Lexington. So far as I can tell the pork barbecue capitol of the world (self-proclaimed ... I think Lex barbecue is lame), has no meatless entrees ... so come prepared to eat off the sides menu.

Got some great Mex restaurants but even when you tell them to leave the cheese off, they put it in.

I'm afraid it's basically hopeless unless you want to hit the sushi bar at the Chinese place next to Walmart (between Cotton Grove Rd. and Fairview Dr. and Lowes Blvd.)

I became a vegan for selfish reasons: I want to save MY planet, improve MY health and live by MY ethics.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:54 am 
Tofu Pup

starkveg wrote:
Has anyone been to Market in Raleigh? The menu looks somewhat promising.

http://www.eatatmarket.com/menu/

I was just there last night! There drinks are awesome. They grow their own herbs and use them in their mojitos (the didn't have it last night), but they had a great bourbon ginger drink. They also have great vegan and vegetarian options and everything is local!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:35 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I know that what all of you want to do next Thursday is go to a benefit show for the folks running a campaign against amendment 1! Great cause, great music, information here:

http://motorcomusic.com/showroom-protec ... es-benefit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Wow, Market is super close to my work and I've never heard of it. Thanks! That chile relleno looks promising.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:20 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

LexingtonNC wrote:
Starry Eyed wrote:
I'm from Greensboro, which is about and hour and a half away from Raleigh/Durham. We actually have one awesome vegetarian restaurant here in town - Boba House.

I'd have to say my favorite restaurant I've tried so far in the Triangle is the Remedy Diner, but I really liked Butternut Squash also.

Plus, how about the Bull City Vegan Challenge? Has anyone been to try any of the dishes?
What is the Bull City Vegan Challenge? It sounds like it's daring a vegan to eat off the fast food menus for a whole month.
The Bull City Vegan Challenge took place in October 2010. It was "a contest that documentary filmmaker Eleni Vlachos and chef Shirlé Hale-Koslowski organized to encourage greater variety in vegan menu offerings" (Herald Sun).

So, basically, restaurants were challenged to come up with vegan dishes for their menus, (1) because there is not one single completely veg*n restaurant in the Raleigh-Durham area, and (2) because accepting this challenge meant restaurants could get some free publicity and new customers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:38 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

appifanie wrote:
bekki wrote:
I'm sitting here in Lenoir (1.5 hours away from charlotte, one hour away from Asheville) sticking my tongue out at all of you and sulking in the corner.

i'm 4+ hours from asheville and in fayetteville, which is, as near as I can tell, the absolute worst part of NC.

Fayetteville is the bunghole of North Carolina. I've lived here for 6 years and cannot wait to move up to the Raleigh area. A few more months...!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:16 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

smelfood wrote:
appifanie wrote:
bekki wrote:
I'm sitting here in Lenoir (1.5 hours away from charlotte, one hour away from Asheville) sticking my tongue out at all of you and sulking in the corner.

i'm 4+ hours from asheville and in fayetteville, which is, as near as I can tell, the absolute worst part of NC.

Fayetteville is the bunghole of North Carolina. I've lived here for 6 years and cannot wait to move up to the Raleigh area. A few more months...!!

Considering i live in fayetteville myself at the moment, i have to agree to the above statements. Which is really sad that soo many people live in such a bungholish place.

P.s Jealous that you get to move, i have at least a year and a half here....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:52 pm 

Fiction Kitchen, which used to run the Pinhook vegan brunches, is officially opening a storefront in Raleigh!

https://www.facebook.com/TheFictionKitchen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:53 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

smelfood wrote:
appifanie wrote:
bekki wrote:

i was going with armpit but bunghole is more accurate!! so, hope mills! i've tried going to that huge asian mart - pan thai? (it's been awhile) but the smell kills me.

i'm not alone!!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pastabake wrote:
Fiction Kitchen, which used to run the Pinhook vegan brunches, is officially opening a storefront in Raleigh!

https://www.facebook.com/TheFictionKitchen

This is so great!!! I was just at the Remedy last night and we were all whining about how their prices are rising constantly and they keep taking good stuff off the menu. Maybe they will try harder if they have some competition!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:14 pm 

The only thing I ever really want at Remedy is the buffalo chicken sandwich (with ranch instead of cheese), and I've gotten kind of sick of paying nearly $10 for that when I can make a very similar sandwich at home for less than half the price. Looking forward to a place that's really focused on making awesome veg food!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:34 am 

Does anyone know somewhere around the triangle that sells bulk vital wheat gluten? The Durham WF only has it in those annoying tiny 10oz boxes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

They have the 28 ounce Bob's Red Mill bags at the North Raleigh Whole Foods and also at the Kroger at Falls of Neuse and Strickland. I think it's $1 cheaper at Kroger.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:53 am 

molly wrote:
They have the 28 ounce Bob's Red Mill bags at the North Raleigh Whole Foods and also at the Kroger at Falls of Neuse and Strickland. I think it's $1 cheaper at Kroger.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I work for a wine wholesaler and this just came across in our restaurant openings newsletter:

A new choice for vegetarians is coming to downtown Raleigh. The Fiction Kitchen will be located at 428 South Dawson Street, Raleigh, NC 27601 and should open in late fall 2012. The Fiction Kitchen features locally-sourced comfort foods with a twist, such as their popular vegan barbecue and biscuits and gravy. They also will offer vegan cheese made in house out of cashews and a 100% local salad throughout the year. It will be a 49 seat restaurant with full ABC. Owners, Caroline Morrison and Siobhan Southern, can be contacted easily through email at thefictionkitchen@gmail.com.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:58 pm 
Inflexitarian

molly wrote:
I really need to get to Durham & Chapel Hill more - it seems like you guys have so many more good options. We really just have the Remedy Diner here, plus the usual ethnic places. I've lived in Raleigh for almost 7 years and I think I've only been to Durham & Chapel Hill twice each!

I'll be in Chapel Hill towards the end of October for PyCarolinas. :D I got great food recommendations though, on Twitter from the runner, who is also vegan. Which makes my life so much easier, because usually my problem with conventions is..where do I eat?

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:40 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Just drove to Raleigh this afternoon. Omigoodiness, I had never been in a Whole Foods before today, can I say I was a little intimidated? Plus I ended up there around noon- driving through Raleigh's college district during lunch I can officially say is not my idea of a fun time. I got a huge jar of Vega for $52, thought that was pretty amazing, plus I stopped at Quail Ridge Books next to whole foods and got "Quick and Easy Vegan Slow Cooking" which I'm ecstatic to try since I'm a lazy person.

Next time I'm up in that area is there anywhere specific people would suggest going?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Neomonde is super great Lebanese food. There's one by NC State and another one in North Raleigh. It's not a vegan restaurant but they have tons of vegan options and their main "Neomonde platter" is vegan if you make sure they don't get you labneh (which is served in a little container with a lid so even if they do give it to you, you can just toss it).

Keep an eye out for the opening of Fiction Kitchen, too! I had their vegan BBQ sandwich at a street carnival over the weekend and it is AMAZING.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:21 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

molly wrote:
Neomonde is super great Lebanese food. There's one by NC State and another one in North Raleigh. It's not a vegan restaurant but they have tons of vegan options and their main "Neomonde platter" is vegan if you make sure they don't get you labneh (which is served in a little container with a lid so even if they do give it to you, you can just toss it).

Keep an eye out for the opening of Fiction Kitchen, too! I had their vegan BBQ sandwich at a street carnival over the weekend and it is AMAZING.

Oh thank you for the tips! I'm planning on heading up there around the 1st or so for some Christmas and grocery shopping and i'm bring a non-vegan friend so that sounds amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The North Raleigh Neomonde is really close to the North Raleigh Whole Foods and that area is much less congested than where you were yesterday - but I am also biased because I live up there.

The Remedy is a good place to take an unadventurous omnivore because they have vegan, vegetarian, and meaty options.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next