| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DC: Capitol Hill
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:23 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'm looking for good food on Capitol Hill. Any thoughts/recommendations/suggestions?

Post subject: Re: DC: Capitol Hill
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

There really isn't much there, to be honest, but being that DC is tiny there's great stuff relatively close. Can you venture out?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:11 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm reviving this thread. I'll be there in October for a few days (3-5 October). I have at least one day to venture out, so hit me! I'm looking for places to buy ricemellow cream and other sweets as well as a place to eat tons of cake and cupcakes...
molasses_jane, did you find anything on Capitol Hill?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:28 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Capitol Hill was a vegan wasteland. I was there for a conference that lasted all day/evening, so couldn't venture out. There was a lot of eating Chipotle in Union Station, and oatmeal from Starf*cks. I did stay two extra days and wander out to Sticky Fingers (great for your cake needs, and a good mac n' cheese) and Ethiopian food at EtEtEt, and some other goodies. There are Whole Foods around town for getting sweets.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The Ethiopian food in DCis the best. Rice in 14th street has great vegan food. Java Green was a favorite when I lived there, although I am not sure it is still open or as good. Definitely go to Sticky Fingers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:27 pm 

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:43 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I would recommend Banana Cafe (500 8th St). It is a latin restaurant that has a few (very good) vegan options. Just make sure to specify to your server that you are vegan and check on any hidden dairy ingredients. I think last I was there I changed an vegetarian option a bit to make it work but it was good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:45 pm 
Tofu Pup

Ummmm, DC has great vegan options though. You just have to be in the know. Sticky fingers is okay, but if you really want to be amazed check out Everlasting Life cafe on Georgia Avenue. It's a vegan soul food place and their menu changes based on the day of the week. Their Mac and cheese is AMAZING. My non vegan friends go there all the time because they're food is so good. The "fried chicken" will change your life. CHANGE YOUR LIFE! No joke.

Also Marks Kitchen in tacoma park has a menu that never ends. We call the kitchen the Tardis because it's so small, but has endless options. They have a huge vegan menu, so both omnis and vegs can dine to together in yummy harmony. Some of the items have a Korean flair because the owner is Korean. You won't be disappointed. And it's a very community oriented place so you'll meet the coolest people there and all the waitresses and staff are the nicest people you'll ever meet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:30 pm 

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I need to check the maps to see which places are feasible for my short, too short venture.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:17 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh yeah, everlasting life and soul veg are awesome. I don't know how the area is now, but it was quite a hike from a metro station when I lived there. I lived at 7&P, so it was straight up 7 for me, but it felt like it took forever. At the time the area wasn't the best, so I wouldn't go at night alone or anything. It's was many years ago now, so it is probably a different story. Bt yeah, the food is the best. I also miss vegetate. And eat all the Ethiopian. It is so good.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]