| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: St.John's
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:50 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My mom just surprised me with a trip to St.John's for early October. My mom grew up there, but hasn't been back in decades. I've looked around on the internet and all I can come up with is a place called The Sprout. Looks good, but I'm hoping there is some other places to get a Vegan meal. Can anyone make some recommendations of places that have Vegan options?
Also, suggestions of cool things to see would be great too. Oh and pubs! My mom wants to go to some pubs, so please recommend some. Any local beers to try? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: St.John's
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:00 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

There's a cute little lebanese restaurant where a friend took me to eat. I'm going to write and ask him what it was called. I lived in NL for about 6mos in a small town and even when I asked for a cheeseless pizza in Gander, they still brought me a side tomato dipping sauce with meat in it. Yumm..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:09 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks, I would appreciate it if you could find out the name of that restaurant. Honestly, I didn't think I would find much and I was pleasantly surprised to find out about The Sprout (which seems to have good reviews even on non-veg sites). I was a girl guide for 9 years so I have the whole "be prepared" motto hammered into my head since an early age! I plan to bring cliff bars, Primal strips and Vega, I also think the hotel room will have a kitchenette so I can make breakfast and sandwiches for lunch. I have a feeling there will be a lot of french fries and beer consumption! LOL! But it's just 5 days so I think I will survive.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:43 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Ok so totally not lebanese.. But still good! http://shalimarrestaurantinc.vpweb.ca
http://www.stjohns.ca/visitors/planvisi ... urants.jsp
A lot of the restaurants have their websites connected to this site.
I also remember eating great pizza-wood oven type.

Also, the loblaws all over NL have great veggie options if needed/wanted.
Now type newspaper: http://thescope.ca/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:54 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

!! i was born and raised in st. john's; only moved to ontario 2 years ago for school.
the sprout is the only vegetarian restaurant, but more and more places are starting to recognize 'vegan'.
the grocery stores usually have a pretty good selection of specialty foods. there's also food for thought, just down the street from the sprout, that carries a variety of 'vegan-ish' foods, and bulk stuff.
indian and middle eastern restaurants, like shalimar and afghan restaurant, have a lot of vegan options.
pi eatery has gourmet pizza (and they know what vegan means, and sometimes have vegan desserts).
j korean is really nice, just explain your dietary restrictions and they will accommodate.

enjoy your visit!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:42 pm 

Watching "The Republic of Doyle" has made me fall in love with St John's. I really want to visit there some day!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:14 pm 

I am also from St. John's! Who knew there were a couple of us on here!

As mentioned, The Sprout is awesome (the Fresh Inspiration dish with added tofu strips is my fav). There is a thai place called 'Taste of Thai' (I think) that has a couple of vegan options, and the pizza place mentioned (Pi) is great. The sushi restaurant is called Sun Sushi and has several veg options (do not have the 'spicy' sauce in anything though as it's either made of dairy or mayo). The Celtic Hearth also does a great green salad with a partridgeberry dressing (need to order it without the feta).

As for pubs, you likely won't get much to eat (make sure the fryers are separate if you order fries as there is a lot of deep-fried fish and chicken), but there are a couple of different beers to try. A local brewery is called Quidi Vidi that you should be able to get in most places and in all the liquor stores. Yellowbelly Brewery is a microbrewery downtown and is pretty good. My favourite pub is by far the Republic, but there are LOTS of options on George Street.

Have a great trip!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm not from St. John's, but I am from Newfoundland. If nothing else, Newfies are nice and polite, so they'll do what they can to accomodate you. It's not the best place in the world for veggie-eating, if my memory serves me correctly, but the culinary scene in St. John's is improving all the time.

What you will enjoy is all the beautiful scenery and the nature. The Rooms is supposed to be really neat, and you can do the drive around the Avalon. Have a great trip, I'm jealous! Hoping to get back to the island this spring; we're actually thinking of moving back.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Awww, I thought I commented here! Must not have posted. Sorry! I'm currently living in St. John's. It isn't quite as easy to eat out here as it is in other cities I'm sure, but its totally managable!

The Sprout is awesome. They might have this marked on the menu by the time you get here but we had recent controversy on facebook when a vegan found out they don't use vegan margarine on tofu scramble or toast unless you ask, so watch out!

A Taste of Thai is closed down! I wouldn't recommend Pi, they had advertised soy cheese, and I emailed them asking if it was vegan. When they got back to me they said it had casein (I don't think they realized that made it non vegan before I explained to them what to look for) and asked if I knew any good vegan cheeses. I told them about Daiya and FYH, and hadn't heard anything. A few months later I find their flyer online that advertises vegan cheese. Awesome, I thought. so I went there, and asked the waiter just to be sure. He said no, there was no vegan cheese. So I ended up paying twenty dollars for this tiny pizza that had no cheese and they were sooooo stingy with the toppings. I got a single topping per slice, with some crushed almonds. I still felt hungry after I ate, and my waiter, upon seeing me and my sad pathetic pizza, said he was really sorry. Boston Pizza I find does non cheese pizzas really well, the thin crust is vegan, the only thing I don't like is their mushrooms are kinda slimy, but I'm really fussy with mushrooms to be fair.

TOFU Magazine actually did a piece on eating in St. John's in issue 4, and you can download it free if you sign up with their newsletter thing, but some of the places they talk about have since closed down, like A Taste Of Thai, Thai Hut and Auntie Crae's. It was also found out afterwards that the Swiss Chalet burger isn't vegan.

At the Avalon Mall there's a restaurant called Fog City that has a grilled veggie sandwich that is good, just ask no cheese with mustard or ketchup or whatever you want instead of mayo. I hear Pasta Plus, also at the mall has a vegan chili but I haven't tried it. If you let them know in advance I hear AQUA will make you something amazing, although they also say they have vegan options on the menu anyway. Although the mall also has a fast food court so you have lots of pickings.

Hava Java is awesome! They can make you vegan coffee and often have vegan baked goods! International Flavours changes its menu most days I do believe, they have a meat option and a vegetarian option. The vegetarian option more often than not is vegan, just let them know and hold the naan. Its Indian food, and its really good!

There's also a group on facebook called nl vegans, everyone there is really helpful and I think someone asked just recently about different places to eat and got a lot of suggestions.

God, I miss Thai Hut. They had a really awesome vegan pad thai that I haven't been able to replicate.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:36 am 
Saggy Butt

Taste of Thai is closed? That's too bad, I really liked that place.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

St. John's doesn't like Thai food, apparently :( Totally Greek is gone too, they were awesome. They had a huge vegan meal special.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:47 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks everyone! I've eaten at the sprout and think Im going there again today.Thank god for hava java and rocket coffee, I'm a coffee snob and the hotel coffee is just killing me. LOL. I actually had a nice chick pea salad at Rocket coffee yesterday and their little store at the back has tons of vegan stuff. they have those cafe camino (i don't know if Ispelt that right) chocolate bars with the peanut butter inside one of my faves.
We went to The Rooms on sunday and I loved it. I was also pleasantly surprised that their cafe had a vegan option. It was a chick pea curry stirfry and it was actually very nice although a little over priced. Still its a really nice restaurant up there, what a view! There is a drawing show up right now that is really cool.
So far we did the yellow belly brewery and that was great, thanks for the suggestion as my Mom really enjoyed it. We went over to the Quidi Vidi brewery and took the tour yesterday and its so cool that they let you right in there, right in the brewing rooms.
Today we are planning the typical Sinal hill/cape spear bus tour. not great weather for it but I'm still excited.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:04 pm 

Oh I forgot - if you love coffee then Coffee & Co is also great :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Just to let any vistors know, there's a new vegetarian place called Happy Hummus Hut! They do vegan spring rolls. I also found out that apparently places like Aqua and China House are very happy to make a vegan meal for anyone if there's nothing on the menu at the time. Hungry Heart Cafe also apparently has a vegan shepherd's pie.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:55 pm 

I'm going to be home in a week from Friday!! I can't wait!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yay! Hope you're surprised with all the new stuff around XD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:10 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I used to live in Boston. I hear there isn't that much ocean between there and St. John's...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:06 am 

i just returned from a visit back home to st. john's, and i was amazingly impressed by so much new vegan-friendly foodstuffs!
the sprout is still kicking and as awesome as ever. my favourite lentil burger goes really well with mushroom miso gravy. their baked goods are always great; i had a slice of raspberry coconut cake.
international flavours has the most delicious plateful of curry ever; chickpeas, lentils, peas, potato, turnip, tons of different vegetables, even tofu! with basmati rice. just make sure to specify 'no yogurt', or you'll get a dab of it on the side.
happy hummus hut is super cute, and their rice paper rolls are delicious (filled with almond-based pesto). they have daiya, so you can get a melty cheesy quesadilla, and don't charge extra for it.
if you're hitting the pubs on george street, mexicali rosa's has really good mexican food. the menu specifies vegetarian items, and cheese is easily left off. i got soft tacos filled with beans and salsa, and an impressive garden salad (more than just limp iceberg lettuce and a slice of cucumber).
the farmer's market on saturday mornings is a must. there is at least one vegan baking company, a waffle-maker who advertises '(almost) vegan waffles' (since they're cooked in the same maker), and a ton of other vegan (knowingly or not) products.
grocery stores are getting more commercial products in stock, too. every kind of non-dairy milk ever, non-soy yogurt alternatives, gardein products, tofutti specialty ice creams, and so on.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So apparently there's a vegetarian tea house (Formosa Tea House) here, its been here a whole year, and I never heard of it until I spotted it on my bus route.

Apparently it moved from Charlottetown? I have to go sleuthing on payday!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:26 pm 
Saggy Butt

We just booked a trip back to Newfoundland and I've yet to be there since going veg, I probably haven't been in St. John's in 8 or 9? years, anything old or new I should check out?
I'm also going to be in my (super small) hometown for a few days, so also curious if there tend to be any vegan options available at local grocery stores (soymilk, tofu, etc.), I'm pretty sure there's a Foodland and Colemans there, but I'd like to know if I should be packing some tetra packs just in case.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.