| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: What did you make for your baby/toddler to eat today?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:11 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Breakfast: soy yogurt with almond butter, blueberries, banana, two bites of toast with eb

Snack: enormous sugary graham cracker from local bakery

Lunch: like 4 chickpeas (was full from snack)

Snack: crackers and hummus, apple slice

Dinner: few bites cornbread, a few black beans, lots of steamed broccoli

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:48 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

my child ate nothing today. actually, that's incorrect. she had soy milk, chocolate soy milk, 5 grapes, a 2 inch square of a tortilla, and a freezie.

:(

it makes me feel like a failure when that happens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Aww LB. it happens.

The Emperor found a bag of corn thins (like rice cakes) while I was feeding the baby in the living room and quietly sat in the kitchen and ate them all. ALL. There were 7 or 8 in there. He ate plenty of real food today so I don't know what that was about. He was very pleased with himself though.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We had taco bell on our epic road trip today. First fast food experience and she was not complaining. It shoveling it in.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:24 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Dinner for Lorelei was black beans, potato, and avocado diced up and kind of mixed together. I did the same thing the night before except she had tofu insted of black beans.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:34 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I made a massaged kale salad for dinner tonight and the Emperor loved it. He 3 servings loved it.

The Magician had roasted squash tonight and he thought it was great. He ate an entire cube.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

coldandsleepy wrote:
I made a massaged kale salad for dinner tonight and the Emperor loved it. He 3 servings loved it.

The Magician had roasted squash tonight and he thought it was great. He ate an entire cube.

I made two massaged kale salads this week and she ate a lot both times. Also chickpea cutlets were a hit. She refused strawberries (previously her absolute favorite) and switched to peaches, cherries, and banana with peanut butter. Pasta with veggies and tofu has also been popular a few times recently. At restaurants we have given her grilled portobello slices that she has devoured with delight; her mouth turns purple she eats so much of it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Another annoying night.

I slaved away to make white bean oatmeal burgers, apple-orange-ginger sauce & steamed market-fresh green beans. I thought it all was delicious, and they were all flavors Kai's loved before, but the little bugger wouldn't eat a damn bite.

This is getting old.

All he kept asking for was cookies or ice cream so of course I wouldn't give him any (well except a few cherries when I had some for dessert). I've started telling him now he can't have dessert if he doesn't eat his dinner, and stopped making him alternate meals. If he doesn't eat it, he goes to bed hungry. I feel bad, and I don't want to give him food issues, but I don't see what else I can do.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:58 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Normally Lorelei just picks at tofu when it is plain so last night I just put a wee bit of soy sauce to flavor it a little and she scarfed 3 portions and left everything else on her plate including the Hokkaido squash that she was nomming happily before I put the tofu on her plate. I was kind of surprized. She just kept stuffing her face with tofu! There were also some sushi rolls that she didn't touch (she usually eats about 1 roll or 2 halves of rolls), and some flavored soy milk.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:53 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Hello parents of the playground! Long time lurker of the board, first time poster. I love this thread, because I tend to fall into a rut with my 2-year-old and can always use new ideas. With that said, here's yesterday's menu:

Breakfast: Oatmeal made with Soymilk. She wanted it plain, instead of with fruit. Then ate a banana and a kiwi.

Lunch: Pasta salad with peas, corn, carrots and green beans. (A very small lunch for my girl, but we were at the beach and she was distracted.)

Snack: Lots and lots and lots of watermelon.

Dinner: White bean cassoulet. She told me "I no love cassoulet," but when I let her water it down (why does that help?), she ate two servings.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:20 pm 
Semen Strong

Welcome Lizlemon and wow that cassoulet sounds good!

For Leela it was: Breakfast - peanut butter and toast with a side of cut up grapes (fed by Mr. T so no idea how that went)
Lunch: Mandarin Chickenless Nuggets and Broccoli over quinoa (YUM!)
Dinner: AFR Mac and Trees is a big and very messy hit.

A very broccoli woccoli day.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:05 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

today J had:
another banana pancake from the freezer (reheated in the toasted oven) with pb, half a carton of blueberry soy yogurt with pumpkin/hemp seeds stirred in , a few big sips of my chocolate-almond-green powder protein smoothie

small handful cheerios

a few bites of steamed cauliflower and some frozen french fries at her grandma's

dinner was like 2 measly bites of seitan, a fair amount of steamed broccoli with flax oil and nooch, the rest of the yogurt from breakfast

now she is eating all my popcorn with nooch, hoarding it like a little chipmunk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:44 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

b: a bowl of cheerios and a bowl of oatmeal. both half eaten.
l: at daycare, so i assume lots and lots of healthy veggies she won't touch at home.
d: a wrap with tofurkey, hummus and avocado, almost a whole banana with peanut butter (huge hit!), a cup of soymilk and two freezies.

not tooo bad. the banana and pb thing was a revelation to me, as normally she is not into bananas at all. i think i might take to giving her a spoon of pb every night, as she really loves it. it would probably be a good fat/protein punch before bedtime.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:56 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've put tempeh helper into my regular weekly rotation because it is a reliable hit with her. I use big shells and add broccoli or greens.

I also made a citrusy beet salad tonight, just cooked beets and their greens mixed with light orange juice sauce. She loved it. She was completely pink afterwards.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm beginning to think my son just doesn't like dinner. Or leftovers. Tonight he refused to take a bite of black bean burgers and mixed veggies. He's eaten these tons of times before, the vcon burgers are one of his favorites. But of course, Dad gave him a bit of date roll and he was all over it. So it isn't that he's not hungry, he just only wants dessert. I think I need to start a new thread titled, "What DIDN'T your child eat today?". Gah.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:36 pm 
Semen Strong

Butternut wrote:
I've put tempeh helper into my regular weekly rotation because it is a reliable hit with her. I use big shells and add broccoli or greens.

I also made a citrusy beet salad tonight, just cooked beets and their greens mixed with light orange juice sauce. She loved it. She was completely pink afterwards.

Those are great ideas!

I feel somewhat overwhelmed, because I've never cooked this much in my life and I keep feeling like I must be screwing up her nutrition (or why would she be BFing so much).

Breakfast: Os and banana in almond milk
Lunch: tofu burger and Harvest Grain salad with a yogurt pop for dessert.
Dinner: Zucchini and kale in a garlicky sauce over Harvest Grains. Melon for dessert.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:39 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I spend a lot of time on the ppk complaining about Walter's crappy sleep habits, but I've got to say, he is a great eater. The other night he amazed me by eating an adult portion of red curry tofu, and last night he was stuffing his face with kale and begging for more. He loves fruits and veggies, but protein is hit or miss.

Today's breakfast: half a blueberry buckwheat muffin, an apple, mango smoothie with soy yogurt and almond butter

Snack: cinnamon raisin mini-bagel

Lunch: leftover quinoa pasta with lentil bolognese (only ate a few bites), raw mushrooms he saw in the fridge and begged for

Snack: crackers and hummus on a spoon

Dinner: cole slaw, tortilla with cream cheez, chickpeas. I made buffalo tempeh and wasn't planning to give him any because I thought it would be too spicy, but he begged and pleaded so I gave him a piece and he seemed okay.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:15 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I made kitchari (which I think annak was advocating at the beginning of this thread or maybe the BLW one) for dinner tonight along with some spicy asparagus Indian spinach. The kitchari was a huge hit with both the Emperor and the Magician. I was amazed how easy it was for M to eat... It was thick enough he could pretty much just pick up blobs and put them in his mouth.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Bonnie480 wrote:
Tofulish, I know pickiness peaks at 2. My boy is 17 months so I can't imagine how much worse he can get. UGH! Maybe your girl (beautiful, btw) won't be picky at all. I do remember my guy got picky in May so he was about 15 months old when he got really bad. He has his ups and downs. When he does not eat things or does not try new things it is usually because he is just not hungry. For dinner tonight he ate a ton!

Somehow I just saw this now. I really hope it peaks at 2! Kai will be 2 in October. He was so great from 7-12 months or so, at that time he ate anything I put on his plate. Then it all started going downhill from there, to now which is the worst yet.

Even with the date roll tonight, we're telling him look it is sweet, try it! Try it!! And he wouldn't - I guess he thought it was another brown piece of burger. Finally I told my husband just stick one in his mouth, because I knew once he figured out it was sweet he'd love it. Sure enough, once he got one taste he shoved three pieces in his mouth instantly.

So I really think it is something going on right now where if he doesn't like how it looks, if it is at all weird, or green, he just won't even try it. Like yesterday I gave him vcon mango black bean quinoa salad and he was like, "are you kidding me?!?" Not even trying it.

I just hope since he sees us eating tons of veggies every night one of these days he'll come to his senses and eat it all again.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:38 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Emperor's pickiness didn't even start til after 2... It has been lessening greatly in the last month or so but dang has it been a rough almost-year for food and him.

I am pleased to report, however, that he's been trying a lot of new things again lately and has decided that he absolutely loves a couple things he swore off for a long long time... Including kale and spinach. Woo!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:30 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Butternut wrote:

My girl loves beets. She also loves that they make her poop purple. Seriously, I think I may have a breakthrough: tell your toddlers what color a food will turn their poop. Sweet potatoes make beautifully orange poop. Kiwi seeds come through nicely for polka dots.

Today she's spending the day with grandma, but the plan is:

Breakfast: Oatmeal with mango mixed in and a kiwi on the side.

Lunch: PB&J sandwich, an avocado.

Snack: Edamame.

Dinner: Quinoa soup with lots of veggies. This doesn't usually go over well. Maybe I'll tell her that the stringy bits around the quinoa will be in her poop...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:57 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Broccoli spear and rice
Roasted sweet potato coins and mashed avocado
roasted zucchini

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:06 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Breakfast: blueberry smoothie, mini bagel with cream cheese, dried apricots

Early lunch: half a tj's tofu burger (love those), corn tortilla, corn on the cob, cole slaw, morsel of dark chocolate ("cha-chaw")

Snack: blueberry breakfast cookie, cucumber slices

Dinner: ziti with lentil bolognese, kale, mushrooms, another tortilla, more cucumber, red bell pepper slices

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:11 pm 
Semen Strong

Breakfast: cereal and grapes and a bit of Ezekiel raisin bread
Lunch: Pasta with broccoli in easy breezy sauce (the nooch is so lactogenic that my boobs feel like they're on fire after I eat this!)
Snack: Puffs with Miles
Dinner: TJ's meatballs and zucchini in a garlic and fire-roasted tomato sauce. She loved these.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Guess what? Another exercise in frustration tonight!

I made him these new Barilla veggie pastas - green wagon wheels made with spinach & zuchinni. Added peas and avocado cubes (plus some butter and a little salt). All of these things are his favorites - peas and avocados have been our staples.

Well, tonight, he would not eat it! After about 20 min of sitting there and refusing, he finally ate about 10 wagon wheels and 3 peas. No 'cado.

I'm guessing it must be a power play at this point. Maybe he thinks eventually I'll just give in to his demands for cookies? I had read this could happen, so I've really tried to keep it fun. We listen to his favorite music during dinner and sing, so he doesn't get too bored sitting there. Yesterday I piled his veggies up like building blocks. He was laughing, but it still doesn't seem to help.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next